Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ECAC Finals attendance contest

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
    Would like to have been at the finals, but like others, too expensive to make the long trek to AC. If in Albany I would have been there. It seems to me - and others - that despite the lackluster environment in Albany, it is much more centrally located for ECAC teams (except Princeton). Don't know why they switched to essentially another sub-par venue way out in nowhere.

FWIW, I believe the Broome County Arena in Binghamton is the best facility for watching hockey and also is somewhat smaller and more intimate. I know Binghamton is no garden spot, but hey, it's worth it to have great sight lines and a crowd that fits the building. And Bing. is centrally located. Other than the old Garden on 8th Avenue in NYC, Bing. is the best IMHO.
    Funny you bring that up. I was actually there watching Leggio and Biega play (and beat) the B-Sens last night and the exact same conversation took place. I would rather drive 6 hours to Lake Placid than the 10 minutes to Binghamton or 3 hours to Albany to watch an ECAC tournament. Atlantic City is such a huge joke, too - weekend hotel prices are outlandish. Like 200-300 bucks a night if you want to stay anywhere close to the arena. The Lake Placid Halloween Faceoff this year was a major success, the arena was pretty packed for a non-conference one day college showcase. Hopefully they turn it into a tournament next year. Lake Placid is a hockey Mecca for a lot of people, and on top of that, the townies LOVE COLLEGE HOCKEY. You aren't going to find a more receptive community than LP.

Comment

I was at the games yesterday, and there could have been a total paid attendance for the two games of 3,300, people came and left during both matches.

As far as the expense argument goes, FWIW I stayed at a nice Best Western in Abescon N.J about ten minutes from the rink for $60, Yale fans had a $129 rate at Trump Plaza through the school which was a bargain compared to other nearby boardwalk hotels. Parking at Trump Plaza was also free. So for me to travel from CT it cost me
      $30 gas
      $60 hotel
      $31 tickets- only attended semis
      $40 food
      $60 beers (met too many friends, and the $12 24 oz. Labatts at the venue were not cheap!)

So for $221 bucks I had a fantastic time
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post
        Funny you bring that up. I was actually there watching Leggio and Biega play (and beat) the B-Sens last night and the exact same conversation took place. I would rather drive 6 hours to Lake Placid than the 10 minutes to Binghamton or 3 hours to Albany to watch an ECAC tournament. Atlantic City is such a huge joke, too - weekend hotel prices are outlandish. Like 200-300 bucks a night if you want to stay anywhere close to the arena. The Lake Placid Halloween Faceoff this year was a major success, the arena was pretty packed for a non-conference one day college showcase. Hopefully they turn it into a tournament next year. Lake Placid is a hockey Mecca for a lot of people, and on top of that, the townies LOVE COLLEGE HOCKEY. You aren't going to find a more receptive community than LP.
        I agree LP is a nice place, historic, the Olympic tie-in, and a hockey town, etc.....but...basically you can't get there from here! There is no direct interstate hiway to the area - it's all winding local raods, and in winter presents some issues a place like Hartford or Albany would not. Hard core ECAC fans just are not going to travel 6 hours to see the tourney IMHO. Ease of getting to the arena is a big factor. I know the attendance was always pretty good at LP, but I just don't buy it that today one would be able to replicate those figures. Unless your team is playing, I don't think the fans would make that long trek anymore.
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
          I know the attendance was always pretty good at LP, but I just don't buy it that today one would be able to replicate those figures. Unless your team is playing, I don't think the fans would make that long trek anymore.
          I would have been at the games yesterday and today in LP (or Albany or probably anywhere else a little closer) with or without Union there and I know others who would do the same. For AC, I decided I'd only be able to justify the extra time and expenses if Union made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
            March 20, 1999

Clarkson edges traveling-partner St. Lawrence 3-2 in the ECAC Championship in front of a crowd of 8,469 fans.

Seating for Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid is 7,700.
            And if it had been Yale and Cornell that year you would have probably gotten 4000-5000. Placid blows and Atlantic City blows. Long live Albany. You want to sell out Placid you need Clarkson and SLU. You want a decent turnout in Albany Guarantee 4 out of these 5: Clarkson, SLU, RPI, Union and Cornell. You want Atlantic City to sell out invite all the hookers and johns and advertise free BJ's during intermission .
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
              And if it had been Yale and Cornell that year you would have probably gotten 4000-5000. Placid blows and Atlantic City blows. Long live Albany. You want to sell out Placid you need Clarkson and SLU. You want a decent turnout in Albany Guarantee 4 out of these 5: Clarkson, SLU, RPI, Union and Cornell. You want Atlantic City to sell out invite all the hookers and johns and advertise free BJ's during intermission .
              4000-5000 in a 7700 seat arena is about 3/4 full, it takes almost 12000-13000 to do that in Albany. Atmosphere still would be much better. And Vicb I am shocked to here this Placid blows non-sense from a Clarkson fan
              St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
              4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
              2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
              16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
              2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                4000-5000 in a 7700 seat arena is about 3/4 full, it takes almost 12000-13000 to do that in Albany. Atmosphere still would be much better. And Vicb I am shocked to here this Placid blows non-sense from a Clarkson fan
                Never went to Placid for an ECAC Championship weekend. Way too far to travel from Merryland where I live especially if the weather turns the 2 lane back roads to crap. At least in Albany I can get there on 4 lane highways. I have been to Albany each time CCT played in both the ECAC's and the NC$$ and will go back there if they are there. If Clarkson makes it to AC next year (Yuk Yuk) or the following year I will go. If it is back to Placid I will stay home and watch on TV.
                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Never went to Placid for an ECAC Championship weekend. Way too far to travel from Merryland where I live especially if the weather turns the 2 lane back roads to crap. At least in Albany I can get there on 4 lane highways. I have been to Albany each time CCT played in both the ECAC's and the NC$$ and will go back there if they are there. If Clarkson makes it to AC next year (Yuk Yuk) or the following year I will go. If it is back to Placid I will stay home and watch on TV.
                  I see your point, but there is always a good time at Lake Placid for the tournament and you don't know what you were missing (and hopefully we will get to experience again). I will travel anywhere my team goes for the championship round, including Atlantic City, but Lake Placid would be my personal choice for pretty much every reason combined into one.

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                  9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

They could also have given tickets to the homeless for a place to bed down for a few hours. AC is just a horrible choice-it has no hockey feel about it. I am 45 minute from there and had a hard time convincing myself to buy tickets this year.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

My only beef with Placid is it's remoteness. Put Placid within reasonable driving distance on MAJOR ROADS of Albany, Syracuse, Binghamton (i.e Central NY) etc and I would go. Not where it is. And as I have said before, I go for the hockey. I could care less about having a good time outside of the games. The games are what I came to see and I consider it a good time just being at the games (and a great time when Clarkson wins ).
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

Does anybody know (officially) the sights that bid for the ECAC Tournament last year and lost to Atlantic City? I know Lake Placid and Albany both bid for sure, but I am just curious what other sights lost out.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          They could also have given tickets to the homeless for a place to bed down for a few hours. AC is just a horrible choice-it has no hockey feel about it. I am 45 minute from there and had a hard time convincing myself to buy tickets this year.
                          I almost decided to go Doc just so I could finally meet you and Jenny but my practical engineer side (i.e cost benefit analysis without CCT) said no . Time to go watch the Championship game. GO ELI.
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

The thing I liked about LP was that is was a hockey "weekend" ...you had the games...then after you would go get a beer and meet fellow fans. And in the morning and during the day same thing...fans in their respective gear walking around people talking...getting together.....bands playing in the street heading to arena...was great time...I stayed at the Holiday Inn on top of hill and was invited to the SLU social...go figure (maybe they felt bad for me)

while I like albany because it is close to home those things were missing.....people came for games and left....what they needed to do was maybe host pre and post parties somewhere....not just the so called street festival....give the fans a reason to stay...

Comment

Sounds like Lake Placid is a good time.
                              Originally posted by unionbob View Post
                              The thing I liked about LP was that is was a hockey "weekend" ...you had the games...then after you would go get a beer and meet fellow fans. And in the morning and during the day same thing...fans in their respective gear walking around people talking...getting together.....bands playing in the street heading to arena...was great time...I stayed at the Holiday Inn on top of hill and was invited to the SLU social...go figure (maybe they felt bad for me)

while I like albany because it is close to home those things were missing.....people came for games and left....what they needed to do was maybe host pre and post parties somewhere....not just the so called street festival....give the fans a reason to stay...

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                                Does anybody know (officially) the sights that bid for the ECAC Tournament last year and lost to Atlantic City? I know Lake Placid and Albany both bid for sure, but I am just curious what other sights lost out.
                                If what I heard tonight is true (and I believe it to be), I now understand why we're in AC.

Two separate people close to the league told me this weekend that the league is NOT paying for the arena. Whoever brokered the deal felt they could give the ice time away for free and still make money on ticket sales, concessions and the like. I had heard this as a rumor back when the deal was announced so I guess this pretty much confirms it.

It's an experiment at best in my opinion. Personally I do not like the arena but one of my conversations this evening with someone in the know eluded to a "list" of fixes that need to be made for next year. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

For the record, it appeared to me that todays attendance wasn't much of an improvement over yesterday, if at all. For the first game the place was dead for the most part. For the championship, I think the bands made it feel like there were more people but there were still 3 empty seats for every filled one.

Whatever... the ECAC season is now over. Congrats to Union and Yale for there respective trophies, and best of luck to those teams taking part in the big dance!
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                                Northeast Regional:
                                West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X