X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on buying digital camera

I need a new camera:
    -lightweight and small enough to carry in coat pocket
    -ability to take action shots (hockey, auto racing, etc)
    -AA batteries
    -10-12 mega pixel
    -12 X zoom (or there abouts)

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Need help on buying digital camera

Originally posted by hanasoni View Post
    I need a new camera:
    -lightweight and small enough to carry in coat pocket
    -ability to take action shots (hockey, auto racing, etc)
    -AA batteries
    -10-12 mega pixel
    -12 X zoom (or there abouts)

Any help is appreciated.
    I use a Canon Powershot. $300, but money well-spent. Takes great pics, and has its own rechargeable battery.

Don't buy the cheapie $80 off-brand cameras (like the ones that occasionally pop up on Woot.) You get what you pay for with those.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
      I use a Canon Powershot. $300, but money well-spent. Takes great pics, and has its own rechargeable battery.

Don't buy the cheapie $80 off-brand cameras (like the ones that occasionally pop up on Woot.) You get what you pay for with those.
      Out of curiosity, it there something in the 150-200 dollar range that:

1. Takes pictures
      2. Has a decent zoom
      3. Is reliable (can take a bump or two if need be)
      4. Does the computer linky thing, to upload onto my hard drive

(yeah, you can tell how familiar I am with cameras)
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        1. Takes pictures
        2. Has a decent zoom
        5. Can be paid for by check.
        FYP
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
          FYP
          This one would be by straight cash, homey. (c) Randy Moss. Preferred payment by moi. Although where I buy this probably does still accept checks.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

[QUOTE=Twitch Boy;5085103]I use a Canon Powershot. $300, but money well-spent. Takes great pics, and has its own rechargeable battery.QUOTE]

Which model??

Comment

Upgrade your cell phone to a Droid X, HTC ThunderBolt, etc. You get a 8 megapixel camera that takes 720p video and you don't have to carry two devices.
              Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Out of curiosity, it there something in the 150-200 dollar range that:

1. Takes pictures
                2. Has a decent zoom

(yeah, you can tell how familiar I am with cameras)
                For this, I would suggest the Sony Cybershot W560 or W370 models... I have the same general version of these, just about 5 years old and it's held up very well... I use the camera while fishing, so it's taken pleanty of bumps and has needed to be "riced" twice... Still ticking... Only problem is that I chipped the battery cover, so it only latches into the closing groove on 1 side... So far it's held up for about 18 months like that... Eventually I can see tape being needed...

Picture quality is there, although it does struggle with fast action or low light a bit... I believe that is just because of older tech however... It is just a digital screen display, so it does eat batteries a bit as well...

All in all, very happy with my initial $175 ivestment...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

[QUOTE=hanasoni;5085205]
                  Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                  I use a Canon Powershot. $300, but money well-spent. Takes great pics, and has its own rechargeable battery.QUOTE]

Which model??
                  There are quite a few, just ask the sales guy whichever is the newest. I believe mine is a 1400.
                  Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

I can put in a good word for the Panasonic Lumix cameras. I don't think they spend anywhere near the amount that Canon or Nikon does on advertising, but their cameras are always right at the forefront on advances and are reviewed very well. Also bear in mind that when you're talking zoom, what matters is optical zoom, not digital zoom. Good luck.
                    "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

While it doesn't fit #1 for hanasoni (unless he has good size pockets) thisis what I'm currently using. Step up from point & shoot, but a bit cheaper than an full SLR with a lot of manual setting capabilities. Raw photos from the camera are roughly 10" x 14". And yes Brent, it does that "cool link to computer thingy".
                      2006-07 NMU PtC Champion! (who says someone from nmu cant win hardware? )

Originally posted by ASaaG
                      You dipstick, the only thing that'll help Michigan's Pairwise is Billy Sauer's graduation.
                      Originally posted by 3W
                      Because you can't spell "Fugly" without Dustin Byfuglien.

Comment

Very happy with my Nikon Coolpix S8000. Had several others before but this one just does everything so easily and is not terribly expensive.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

This one would be by straight cash, homey. (c) Randy Moss. Preferred payment by moi. Although where I buy this probably does still accept checks.
                          What is a check?

Comment

Originally posted by Carter View Post
                            I can put in a good word for the Panasonic Lumix cameras. I don't think they spend anywhere near the amount that Canon or Nikon does on advertising, but their cameras are always right at the forefront on advances and are reviewed very well. Also bear in mind that when you're talking zoom, what matters is optical zoom, not digital zoom. Good luck.
                            We have one too, since Christmas, and are very happy with it.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                            Twenty red lights in his honor
                            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Bought a Nikon S8100 coolpix from Costco yesterday ($249, batt, charger, SD card, cables etc). Still learning all its options.

Thanks for the help folks!

Comment

Working...
                              X