PDA

View Full Version : Who's the #2 Team in Minnesota?

bunt_q
03-16-2011, 06:58 PM
With all of the talk about the future of the WCHA (and others) post-Big 10, I was wondering... what's the real hockey pecking order in Minnesota?

At the risk of getting slammed, I am assuming the Gophers are number 1... but after that? In terms of overall public popularity, fan following, student/alumni interest? Attendance and dollars? Etc. Etc.

To put it another way... if you were forming a new WCHA, which Minnesota schools do you hang on to, and in what order?

My gut, with no basis for this at all is:

1. Minnesota (Ciao! Enjoy your new rivalry with...Penn State. What *is* a Nittany Lion, anyways?)
2. Duluth
3. St. Cloud
4. Mankato
5. Bemidji

state of hockey
03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Hamline.

DenverGoldJersey
03-16-2011, 07:23 PM

1. Minnesota (Ciao! Enjoy your new rivalry with...Penn State. What *is* a Nittany Lion, anyways?)
2. Duluth
3. St. Cloud
4. Mankato
5. Bemidji

If i remember right a nittany lion is a lion from mount nittany, a landmark in Happy Valley.

DenverGoldJersey
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM

2. Duluth
3. St. Cloud
4. Mankato
5. Bemidji

If i remember right a nittany lion is a lion from mount nittany, a landmark in Happy Valley.

Biddco
03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
With all of the talk about the future of the WCHA (and others) post-Big 10, I was wondering... what's the real hockey pecking order in Minnesota?

At the risk of getting slammed, I am assuming the Gophers are number 1... but after that? In terms of overall public popularity, fan following, student/alumni interest? Attendance and dollars? Etc. Etc.

To put it another way... if you were forming a new WCHA, which Minnesota schools do you hang on to, and in what order?

2. Duluth
3. St. Cloud
4. Mankato
5. Bemidji

1. St. Cloud
2. UMD
3. Bemidji State
4. Hamline
5. MSU-M

Runninwiththedogs
Isn't Bemidji, with their history of WINNING!!!1!!!!@@!! at every level and their THIRTEEN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!! at the top of the list?

bunt_q
Hamline.

Was that sarcasm?

SanTropez
03-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Isn't Bemidji, with their history of WINNING!!!1!!!!@@!! at every level and their THIRTEEN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!! at the top of the list?

Yeah, the Beavers should always be on top.

wildcatdc
03-16-2011, 07:31 PM
I believe it's Denver this weekend. And I know they're "in" Minnesota, as I just saw them get off their plane at gate d2 in MSP at 4pm! ;)

NUMcNeely
03-16-2011, 07:31 PM
no one on the corner has shwagga like da beavas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFaA6koXIk

SanTropez
03-16-2011, 07:34 PM
no one on the corner has shwagga like da beavas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFaA6koXIk

I hope that guy shows up at the F5, I want to get his autograph.

state of hockey
03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Was that sarcasm?

Yes, even though they were pretty good this year.

Mankato had some success at the D-II level, but not as much as Bemidji. Mankato does come in last for the D-I programs right now though. If this question was asked eight years ago they would probably flip with Bemidji.

Red Cows
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM
After today, it looks like anybody and everybody but BSU. They currently have scoreboard, which is 9/10th of the law when your still playing and nobody else is.

huskiesfan1990
03-18-2011, 01:08 AM
I'd have to say right now, it's Bemidji. On a consistent basis, I'd say UMD or St. Cloud, depending on the season.

Tipsy McStagger
03-18-2011, 03:11 AM
1. St. Cloud
2. UMD
3. Bemidji State
4. Hamline
5. MSU-M
I would agree, but I don't think you actually believe this.

Biddco
03-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I would agree, but I don't think you actually believe this.

Haha. Well replace Hamline with the most popular D3 team in the state....which I have no idea who that would be...