X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    I don't think that's true at all. I'd never say this in public, but just between me an you, Badger fans will greatly miss the rivalry with the Sioux.

Have fun losing to BC in the NCAA's, you losers.
    Have fun hitting range balls at Vitense the next three weekends, you losers.

I've brought this up before on this board, but it comes to mind again. Remember that weekend in mid-Januray of 2000 when the Sioux came to Mad? I think they were tied for first place, and atmosphere at the Kohl Center was really electric. Both games went to OT, and the Badgers won them both on almost identical plays (Hukalo from He!!). Bad outcomes but fantastic hockey experience. You can have a great hockey series with UAB, but with some schools, there's a whole added element. UW and UMinn both give that to UND, and it will be very difficult to replace.

God, stop me before I say something nice about you beady-eyed, filthy, hole-dwelling, can't-make-the-tournament, mama's boys. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
      This is, by my count, the 18th UW Hockey season or off-season thread, since the start of Eaves first season as head coach.

“High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation.”

~Charles F. Kettering
      Like it or not, Wisconsin has at considerable expense (!) established itself as the most fiscally responsible, budget cutting state in the Union.
      Almington, a credible source with over fourteen thousand posts on this site, revealed that in 2009 UW Men's Hockey reaped a profit of $2,960,525.00, representing an annual return on investment of 159%. Eaves, a public employee, directed this fantastically successful financial program.
      Now disgruntled Badger fans want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Alumni/fans of the [STATE] University of Wisconsin need to make a decision. What is their chief priority:
      (1) a winning men's hockey team?
      (2) defending a positive cash flow?
      (3) educating the youth of Wisconsin?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        No surprise, Gardiner is gone per the NANR Blog. As far as anyone else staying/going, I will not count anyone in on their word (people have been known to change their minds, and that's ok), or lack there of, just see who shows up ay the start of school next year and see how Eaves lines the boys up.

I'm rooting for UAA all the way at the F5.
        Leafs make it official

Brian Burke, President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced Tuesday that the hockey club has signed defenceman Jake Gardiner to a three-year entry level contract. Gardiner will report to the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies for the remainder of the season.

The Leafs acquired Gardiner on February 9 from the Anaheim Ducks along with Joffrey Lupul and a conditional fourth round draft pick in 2013 in exchange for defenceman Francois Beauchemin. The 20 year-old-native of Deephaven, Minnesota was originally Anaheim’s first choice, selected 17th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
        Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          Have fun hitting range balls at Vitense the next three weekends, you losers.

I've brought this up before on this board, but it comes to mind again. Remember that weekend in mid-Januray of 2000 when the Sioux came to Mad? I think they were tied for first place, and atmosphere at the Kohl Center was really electric. Both games went to OT, and the Badgers won them both on almost identical plays (Hukalo from He!!). Bad outcomes but fantastic hockey experience. You can have a great hockey series with UAB, but with some schools, there's a whole added element. UW and UMinn both give that to UND, and it will be very difficult to replace.

God, stop me before I say something nice about you beady-eyed, filthy, hole-dwelling, can't-make-the-tournament, mama's boys. . . .
          I was at those games also and it was a blast. I seem to remember you guys out shooting us each game, but we hung in there and won them in OT as you said, on goals by Hukalo. Those were some of the best regular season games I've been to.

The following season's schedule poster was a rink wide shot from the corner from that weekend of a faceoff in the UND zone in front of the students. It says "Its a Great Day for Hockey" at the top and is framed and hanging in my basement. Still my favorite Badger hockey poster.

Old school KC before the new scoreboard and electric ring of advertising, not that I don't like those improvements.

All good things come to an end...

Screw off you racist Nazis!

Comment

Originally posted by wjefwhite View Post
            I have to say being in the same league with the Sioux has always made it great fun. The history UMN and UW and UND is priceless.
            I hate the thought of two different leagues for the Sioux and Badgers. They currently are on a rotating schedule anyway, i don't see that going away ever!!

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
              Like it or not, Wisconsin has at considerable expense (!) established itself as the most fiscally responsible, budget cutting state in the Union.
              Almington, a credible source with over fourteen thousand posts on this site, revealed that in 2009 UW Men's Hockey reaped a profit of $2,960,525.00, representing an annual return on investment of 159%. Eaves, a public employee, directed this fantastically successful financial program.
              Now disgruntled Badger fans want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Alumni/fans of the [STATE] University of Wisconsin need to make a decision. What is their chief priority:
              Ahaha...out of all the UW sports, you pick UW Men's hockey to make this comment about. Go away.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                I couldn't agree more. the rivalries to me between the triumvarate of hate means more to me than effing michigan/msu/osu/psu (the four of whom can take flying eff at the moon as far as hockey is concerned for me)

sigh
                I won't enjoy the BTHC either. I don't get very excited for College Hockey Showcase now, I can't imagine when PSU comes to town how excited I'll be. Yeah Tech sucks, UAA regularly sucks, Mankato often sucks, but I get excited for these series. I suppose that mindset will change over time, but not seeing CC, DU, UND, SCSU and Duluth will be a real downer for me. I'm kinda holding out hope that somehow they can keep the WCHA and CCHA, and schedule a Big 10 championship as part of all that.

I think this Final Five will be a good sign of what attendance is like when Bucky and goldie aren't there. I went two years ago when the gophers got bumped by Duluth in the play-in game, and the "state of hockey" went home for the weekend. North Dakota travels well, but that is about it, the big end of season pay day will be gone, but w/ wise scheduling, a lot of the WCHA teams will remain very strong. If I was Bruce McLeod, if the BTHC splits off by themselves, I would sign a deal w/ Hockey East for non-conference games which would benefit both conferences in the PWR. The Big 10 will certainly have big pay days for opponents and huge exposure, but a few key alliances outside the BTHC could go a long way for everyone else to not just survive, but potentially thrive.
                Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                Originally posted by UWisco
                It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

I was at those games also and it was a blast. I seem to remember you guys out shooting us each game, but we hung in there and won them in OT as you said, on goals by Hukalo. Those were some of the best regular season games I've been to.

The following season's schedule poster was a rink wide shot from the corner from that weekend of a faceoff in the UND zone in front of the students. It says "Its a Great Day for Hockey" at the top and is framed and hanging in my basement. Still my favorite Badger hockey poster.

Old school KC before the new scoreboard and electric ring of advertising, not that I don't like those improvements.

I was at the Saturday game after a campus tour. I spent the next *cough* years living in the Kohl for basketball and hockey. That game against the Sioux is, by far, the loudest I have ever heard the Kohl center.

Sue's a girl's name
                  Five Reasons to Love Wisconsin Hockey:
                  1. "Varsity"
                  2. "SIEVE!"
                  3. "Five Goal Free for All"
                  4. Phil and Mrs. Phil
                  5. "'Midget' Hockey"

Comment

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Spent your teens and 20s in a drugged out haze? Had a failed career in MMA?

Either you are persistently obstinate or moronically obtuse. I'm not sure which. Maybe both, but you're not any good at it.

For the FINAL time: The UW athletic department budget is INDEPENDENT of UW's general fund. The athletic department is self-supporting, ZERO dollars of WI state tax money is used to pay for the activities of the athletic department. UW could disband the ENTIRE athletic department tomorrow and it wouldn't add one single dollar to the genenal education fund.

In fact, it is the profitability of football, men's basketball, and hockey that allows for athletes in all of the other sports to participate at the NCAA varsity level and get a top quality education. On top of that, for better or for worse, athletic success in high profile sports has been shown to increase general donations to the university as a whole.

UW's hockey program is going to remain financially successful regardless of which conference, the B10 or the WCHA, that the program is in.

The figures that I cited were from the annual report for 2008-2009 from the Athletic Board for UW, they are a matter of public record.

And please, before you go around spouting numbers, look up the economic/accounting definition of profit. You're just make yourself appear stupid.

Comment

I seem to recall one of the WSJ writers quoting Blais or Sauer saying they exchanged looks before the puckdrop Friday night, acknowledging that they were witnessing something special.

Then the refs proceeded to screw the Sioux both nights, giving both games away on late calls, early calls, missed calls, and bad calls. But then Sioux fans are good at rising above excuses.

Comment

You missed the point, Almington. You hinted at firing the coach who ran this independent and hugely financially successful hockey program. As you rightly claim, the men's hockey program supports many other athletic programs at UW. Coach Eaves has successfully developed a privatized revenue stream within a state university and contributed to the viability of many different athletic programs.
                        You must balance the benefit of a "championship" hockey team for a season against the risk of losing a proven administrator and the diversity he has provided for UW athletic programs.
                        Financial success for men's hockey programs is not a given any more than winning titles. Major Junior CFO's must lick their chops when they see the balance sheet for UW hockey.

Comment

You missed the point, Almington. You hinted at firing the coach who ran this independent and hugely financially successful hockey program. As you rightly claim, the men's hockey program supports many other athletic programs at UW. Coach Eaves has successfully developed a privatized revenue stream within a state university and contributed to the viability of many different athletic programs.
                          You must balance the benefit of a "championship" hockey team for a season against the risk of losing a proven administrator and the diversity he has provided for UW athletic programs.
                          Financial success for men's hockey programs is not a given any more than winning titles. Major Junior CFO's must lick their chops when they see the balance sheet for UW hockey.
                          No he didn't. Go away.

Comment

No, I think Almington was very much on point when he called you "moronically obtuse." Don't try so hard to seem erudite--it's not working. Have some fun with this wonderful game. Trash the Badgers. Better yet, be like Badger fans on this board--they're all boneheads. Good boneheads. The kind of boneheads you 'd like to talk to in the concourse between periods. But then, you'd have to love the game enough to go to the games before that will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                              I won't enjoy the BTHC either. I don't get very excited for College Hockey Showcase now, I can't imagine when PSU comes to town how excited I'll be. Yeah Tech sucks, UAA regularly sucks, Mankato often sucks, but I get excited for these series. I suppose that mindset will change over time, but not seeing CC, DU, UND, SCSU and Duluth will be a real downer for me. I'm kinda holding out hope that somehow they can keep the WCHA and CCHA, and schedule a Big 10 championship as part of all that.
                              In an ideal world, Wisconsin would replace the UAAs, MTUs, Bemidji's, Mankatos and SCSUs on their conference schedule with the traditional B10 rivals, and retain nonconference series against the UNDs, CCs, DUs and UMDs.

Unless it's February or March, it's not conference standings that fuel the intensity of those games. These traditional rivalries could remain largely intact even in a BTHC world, IMO, even playing one series a year instead of two. When you think about it, in the end everyone's playing for pairwise points anyway, so that wouldn't change at all.

Meanwhile a whole new set of rivalries with the CCHA B10 teams would emerge, where now there are none w/ the also-ran WCHA members I mentioned.

Imagine a schedule in which virtually every week's series was against a true rival -- new or old -- without all of the filler we have now.
                              Last edited by davearm; 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I'll cast, this should be fun.

How did I hint at firing Coach Eaves anytime this season? You have, thus far, displayed the reading comprehension of an average 8 year old. Please, show me.

Comment

Working...
                                X