X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    No, but they could always be in contact his agent.
    Contacting his agent is the same thing as contacting him. He has no reason to like about something like this. If he was seriously interested and had been contacted he could have simply not called the reporter back. He's a straight shooter. I trust him.

Comment

Didn't NJ go through this Eaves dance last time they needed a coach? Its almost as if Lou floats Eaves name out there to the press to get the coach he's really after to sign for less money.
      Whenever a vacancy comes up in NJ, there are tons of names that come out of the woodwork.
      I don't remember hearing about Eaves the last 5 times the Devs were looking for a coach, but his style is very similar to what the Devils preach. That, and the Devils have to have a decent relationship with Eaves considering the amount of Prospects that roll through Madison.
      Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
      Would Eaves have any reasons to lie about the Devil's contacting him?
      Like I said, I am just throwing it out there how LL operates the Devils organization.

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
      Contacting his agent is the same thing as contacting him. He has no reason to like about something like this. If he was seriously interested and had been contacted he could have simply not called the reporter back. He's a straight shooter. I trust him.
      This is true, but i imagine that since rumors came out, he has been getting bombarded by many reporters. He's gotta answer either way. How would it look if he were to come out and say, "Yes, I have been in talks with the New Jersey Devils?"

I don't think i have ever heard a potential coach or UFA coming to NJ that has been outright about it in my 25+years. We never know what LL has in store until it's a done deal.

Won't stop me from going to games though. Looking Forward to the RIT games in January. Looks like the school is planning an RIT Alumni Event there for the Saturday game.
      Last edited by JRZ DVLS; 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        better the hell not be.

b. who does Wisconsin replace him with?
        John Hill

Comment

Saw this earlier with Nate Leaman (Union) saying he had no contact w/Prov. when the rumors started swirling. Definetly not trying to equate the two. It's just that this is RPI's nightmare, HC job opens...Coach Gwoz takes it....Seth Appert (RPI) former DU Assistant hired to replace Gwoz
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
            This is true, but i imagine that since rumors came out, he has been getting bombarded by many reporters. He's gotta answer either way. How would it look if he were to come out and say, "Yes, I have been in talks with the New Jersey Devils?"
            Eaves knows enough coach speak to spin any question and obscurate as opposed to saying flat out that he has had no contact.

Comment

Didn't NJ go through this Eaves dance last time they needed a coach? Its almost as if Lou floats Eaves name out there to the press to get the coach he's really after to sign for less money.
              His name was floated last time, because when I saw this come up now, I thought "Not again".

And if he left, I'd have your coach on the top of my list. Imagine what he could do with the power and recognition of a B11 school behind him.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
                How would it look if he were to come out and say, "Yes, I have been in talks with the New Jersey Devils?"
                It would look like Eaves is keeping an eye on what other opportunities are out there. He has no obligation to only want to coach the Badgers for the rest of his career and while Id like to see him be our coach for a long, long time; its not as if I would view him as a traitor if he did make the jump to the NHL.
                A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                Originally posted by MadCityRich
                He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  His name was floated last time, because when I saw this come up now, I thought "Not again".

And if he left, I'd have your coach on the top of my list. Imagine what he could do with the power and recognition of a B11 school behind him.
                  DU is working on a new contract for Gwoz that Sconnie will have to upset the apple cart to match. Not saying Bucky couldn't afford it, but it would take a college hockey record contract to pry him to Madison.

Quite frankly the recent success of Sconnie's football and basketball programs makes the hockey job far less prestigious these days.

You'll be better off with Mark Johnson and he'll give you the hometown discount.
                  Last edited by dggoddard; 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM.

Comment

You'll be better off with Mark Johnson and he'll give you the hometown discount.
                    The discount wouldn't be worth the discord that would resonate within the hockey donor ranks as the views many have of Johnson as a men's coach are justifiably formed as of the result of the end of the Sauer era and relatively unchanged by his success on the women's side.

Eaves first team was definitely lacking in many areas, particularly top level talent. While I'm not knowledgeable enough of the era to comment on Sauer's final few years, as it wasn't until Eaves first year that I came to UW, many other people who's opinion I value attribute that deficiency to Johnson's poor recruiting.

Honestly, should Eaves leave UW, getting Gwoz as a replacement would be worth the cost. Alzarez wouldn't pay it, but it would be worth it. You are correct that for as long as Alzarez is the AD, hockey will be the poor unwanted stepsister to football and basketball at UW.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                      You are correct that for as long as Alzarez is the AD, hockey will be the poor unwanted stepsister to football and basketball at UW.
                      You need to remember though that football and basketball are a much bigger draw and much bigger moneymaker for the UW than hockey is. Alvarez has too look at what the best value for the UW is and sadly, thats not hockey.
                      Honestly, if Eaves should leave the UW, they need to just look at all the applicants and hire whomever the best candidate is. As much as Mark Johnson is loved in Madison, he might not be a lock for being the best applicant for the job.
                      As much as Id like to see Mark Johnson finally get the chance to coach the Badger men, I dont feel that the university owes it to him. He wasnt the first coach who applied for the mens' job and got passed over.
                      A Badger living in Buckeye country.
                      Originally posted by MadCityRich
                      He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
                      Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                      Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
                      Originally posted by Timothy A
                      I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
                      "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                        You need to remember though that football and basketball are a much bigger draw and much bigger moneymaker for the UW than hockey is. Alvarez has too look at what the best value for the UW is and sadly, thats not hockey.
                        Football is top dog, but hockey is still a revenue producing sport and although it isn't as valuable as basketball (because of the TV contract) it is treated no better than the majority of the non-revenue producing sports inspite of the fact that it brings in 12,000 fans a game and overall revenue of over 5 million a season. The way that Alvarez treats the program is a joke given its history and statue. Any AD would be thrilled to have a program that pays for both itself, the comporable womans program, and still brings in a 7-figure check to help pay for other finctions of the athletic department. Stupid and short-sighted, plain and simple.

Comment

Football is top dog, but hockey is still a revenue producing sport and although it isn't as valuable as basketball (because of the TV contract) it is treated no better than the majority of the non-revenue producing sports inspite of the fact that it brings in 12,000 fans a game and overall revenue of over 5 million a season. The way that Alvarez treats the program is a joke given its history and statue. Any AD would be thrilled to have a program that pays for both itself, the comporable womans program, and still brings in a 7-figure check to help pay for other finctions of the athletic department. Stupid and short-sighted, plain and simple.
                          The Badger's hockey programs aren't as profitable as you might think....

http://mnhockeycentral.webs.com/BigTenNumbers.JPG

And TV revenue is a much bigger component of profitability than attendance, and that is an area that the Badger hockey program is lacking IMO. I'm not sticking up for Alverez by any stretch, but there is a reason he was pushing so hard for the Big Ten Hockey Conference. TV revenue sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                            The Badger's hockey programs aren't as profitable as you might think....

http://mnhockeycentral.webs.com/BigTenNumbers.JPG

And TV revenue is a much bigger component of profitability than attendance, and that is an area that the Badger hockey program is lacking IMO. I'm not sticking up for Alverez by any stretch, but there is a reason he was pushing so hard for the Big Ten Hockey Conference. TV revenue sharing.
                            I think the point was that men's hockey doesn't lose money...and it doesn't, to the tune of roughly $1 million per year lately.
                            Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                            Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                            sigpic
                            Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                            1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Originally posted by JDUBBS1280 View Post
                              Where is this mythical TV money going to come from? It isn't going to come from the BTN as that revenue is already evenly split , and I'll believe and ESPN hockey contract the day the first game airs.

Their is nearly zero TV money in college hockey, even for the almighty Big Ten.
                              Last edited by Almington; 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Where is this mythical TV money going to come from? It isn't going to come from the BTN as that revenue is already evenly split , and I'll believe and ESPN hockey contract the day the first game airs.

Their is nearly zero TV money in college hockey, even for the almighty Big Ten.
                                Yes there is, and that was my point, that there was a very good reason Barry Alverez was pushing so hard for a Big Ten Hockey Conference. Yes, the men's hockey program at Wisconsin is profitable, but it is no where near the revenue generator hockey is at Minnesota (or historically Michigan). I was just pointing out that, by pushing so hard for a Big Ten Hockey Conference, Barry Alverez did a great service for UW and the UW hockey program.

Sucks for the Gopher Hockey program IMO, but the rest of the B10 has been carrying us in football for so long I think they probably told Maturi and the Gophers it was time for UMN to contribute something in return.

Comment

Working...
                                X