This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Vol. XVIII - Belief in a Better Tomorrow

Why did we give that arrowhead of gophersota to them? I didn't know at one time I could have avoided rodentia and stayed in Wisconsin all the way to International Falls.
    Last edited by MadCityRich; 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      Where men are men, and the women are SHEEP.
      fyp
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        Yup. This.

(Nerd Alert)

I believe that at one point, the Wisconsin Territory did include all lands west up to the Mississippi... so it's actually possible.

Hail! To those pederasts...
        Very nerdish, but very correct. I've been reading How the States Got Their Shape and just read Wisconsin yesterday. The original WI territory included everything south along Lake Michigan for 60 miles to the bottom tip of the Lake (Illinois originally only would have had a very small window of lake access but we would have been stuck w/ Chicago), the Upper Peninsula, and everything in what is now that crap hole of minnesota w/ the Mississippi river as the territories' border to Canada. So Duluth would have been in WI, along w/ Houghton.

WI was late in the game in getting statehood. Michigan was given the UP when Indiana took some of their land along Lake Michigan. Illinois took that 60 miles along Lake Michigan when they became a state so they could divert riverways toward Lake Michigan and away from the Mississippi River (due to slave states in the south at the time controlling the Big Muddy), and when WI did form, the St Croix was taken as the border so that the future state of minnesota would have access to the Great Lakes. Otherwise WI would be bordering Canada and the last stop before getting to the beautiful vacation town of Thunder Bay.

That is your history lesson for today, now that I've done some teaching, I will be protesting at the Capital the rest of the day, so I can fit in.

Back to hockey.
        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
        Originally posted by UWisco
        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Jordy must not like school or maybe Eaves himself. Last year he contemplated leaving to play in Europe, and again this year he is as well. Theorhetically, he's only got 1 more year to get a free degree, why even think about leaving for a non-NHL situation? He really didn't have the kind of yr I thought he'd have. If he stays, he could be a 40 guy pt with his scrappy style of play.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Jordy must not like school or maybe Eaves himself. Last year he contemplated leaving to play in Europe, and again this year he is as well. Theorhetically, he's only got 1 more year to get a free degree, why even think about leaving for a non-NHL situation? He really didn't have the kind of yr I thought he'd have. If he stays, he could be a 40 guy pt with his scrappy style of play.
            I don't think money is really a concern in his situation. Keep in mind that his brother left after his sophomore season at North Dakota to play in Europe as well. So it's not like this is a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
              I don't think money is really a concern in his situation. Keep in mind that his brother left after his sophomore season at North Dakota to play in Europe as well. So it's not like this is a surprise.
              Maybe he wants a change to play with his brother for Lugano in the Swiss-A league? Clear to me that their is much more to this then any of us really know.

I remember Brady at UND, I know that he's not a big body, but I expected a little more out of thim then just a career in the Swiss-A league and a cup of coffee in the NHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                Maybe he wants a change to play with his brother for Lugano in the Swiss-A league? Clear to me that their is much more to this then any of us really know.

I remember Brady at UND, I know that he's not a big body, but I expected a little more out of thim then just a career in the Swiss-A league and a cup of coffee in the NHL.
                I know his brother left after his sophomore year because I believe he had Swiss citizenship from when his father coached over there, and he if he didn't leave that season he would have not had the same opportunity to make a certain level of money or something. I don't think Jordy has the same loop hole though.

Comment

Anyone know what's up with the schedule next year? Talking to people last night they thought our two teams that we play home and away next year are St. Cloud and North Dakota on top of the annual home and away with Minnesota. I'm guessing we flip home/away with teams we played this year? Like we hosted Bemidji so we'll go there next year? Anyone know? And the two teams we played home and away series with this year, UMD and Tech, I'm guessing we'll go to one place and host the other?

Anyone have any insight? And possibly non-con games? No Icebreaker for sure, and pretty sure there is no college hockey showcase anymore.

Comment

Madison.com said couple weeks back of non conference games all at home vs. Northern Michigan, RIT, and Mercyhurst. That's all I know of so far.
                    WISCONSIN BADGERS
                    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                      Anyone know what's up with the schedule next year? Talking to people last night they thought our two teams that we play home and away next year are St. Cloud and North Dakota on top of the annual home and away with Minnesota. I'm guessing we flip home/away with teams we played this year? Like we hosted Bemidji so we'll go there next year? Anyone know? And the two teams we played home and away series with this year, UMD and Tech, I'm guessing we'll go to one place and host the other?

Anyone have any insight? And possibly non-con games? No Icebreaker for sure, and pretty sure there is no college hockey showcase anymore.
                      I found this about a year ago, and you are right, North Dakota and St Cloud do appear to be the extra home/away mates next season. That makes a tough schedule.

Looking back over the years, the last two seasons, UW has played AT both Duluth and Tech each season. Back in 2008/09 they played at Duluth and hosted Tech, the opposite in 2007/08, so just a guess but I'd say Duluth at home, Tech on the road next season, but the WCHA might have a different formula set up.

Based on that:

Home: minnesota, NoDak, SCSU, Duluth, UNO, Denver & UAA (plus the non-con UWisco listed)
                      Away: minnesota, NoDak, SCSU, CC, BSU, Tech & Mankato

W/ the end of the WCHA looming (w/ the Badgers in it), might be making several road trips next season. I'd like to get to CC and North Dakota.

It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                        I found this about a year ago, and you are right, North Dakota and St Cloud do appear to be the extra home/away mates next season. That makes a tough schedule.

Looking back over the years, the last two seasons, UW has played AT both Duluth and Tech each season. Back in 2008/09 they played at Duluth and hosted Tech, the opposite in 2007/08, so just a guess but I'd say Duluth at home, Tech on the road next season, but the WCHA might have a different formula set up.

Based on that:

Home: minnesota, NoDak, SCSU, Duluth, UNO, Denver & UAA (plus the non-con UWisco listed)
                        Away: minnesota, NoDak, SCSU, CC, BSU, Tech & Mankato

W/ the end of the WCHA looming (w/ the Badgers in it), might be making several road trips next season. I'd like to get to CC and North Dakota.
                        UND is definitely a trip worth taking to experence the hockey, CC not so much (IMHO).

Comment

UND is definitely a trip worth taking to experence the hockey, CC not so much (IMHO).
                          My original goal was to hit every WCHA arena, I started strong in 2008/09 w/ visits to Denver and Duluth, but haven't had the time since then. If the CC series is in the Fall, I could probably make a short vacation out of it, otherwise I agree, haven't heard many positives about the CC fan base or world arena to excite me to go.

Comment

My original goal was to hit every WCHA arena, I started strong in 2008/09 w/ visits to Denver and Duluth, but haven't had the time since then. If the CC series is in the Fall, I could probably make a short vacation out of it, otherwise I agree, haven't heard many positives about the CC fan base or world arena to excite me to go.
                            Gandalf, my family and I visited World Arena in the summer so I don't know about the CC atmosphere. Right next door is the headquarters of USA Hockey which is located on Bob Johnson Drive. The U.S. Olympic Training Center is nearby and interesting. With all its connections to Badger Hockey, Colorado Springs is a great place to visit. I found it more appealing than St. Cloud.

Comment

I think the problem with CC is there are next to no students at the game, so the atmosphere is definitely not what you see at the Kohl Center. I went to a CC-SCSU series in 2005 when CC is ranked in the top five and the place was empty...but Colorado Springs is an awesome city.
                              Operation Iraqi Freedom IV - FOB Falcon/FOB Loyalty - Baghdad, Iraq
                              Operation Iraqi Freedom II - FOB Danger - Tikrit, Iraq
                              Kosovo Force 4B - Camp Monteith - Gnjilane, Kosovo

Comment

Unlike a worldly and sophisticated man such as yourself to overlook the rich cultural and esthetic treasures that metropolitan Grand Forks has to offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X