Quinnipiac Bobcats 2011 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2011 Offseason

So while many of our Bobcat favorites are soaking in the sun this summer some of our elite have taken their skills to NHL Development Camps. At the very least an invite to one of these camps shows that you are on that team's radar which is never a bad thing.

Both Connor and Kellen Jones have returned to the Edmonton Oilers Prospect Camp for a second year. Kellen was drafted by the Oilers in the 7th round 202 overall last year. Attached are the camp's media guide as well as photo galleries where you can clearly see the twins in a few shots.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=70021
    http://oilers.nhl.com/club/gallery.h...id=DL|EDM|home

Mike Dalhuisen was invited to the Dallas Stars Development Camp and seems to be making his presence known recording the hardest shot in the camp's competition.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/stars...ent-camp-notes
    http://andrewsstarspage.com/2011-dev...amp-roster.htm

Future Bobcat Matthew Peca was invited to Tampa Bay's prospect camp and at 18 years old is the youngest invitee.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568346

Also of note, Scott Zurevinski was not invited back to the Canucks camp. Two trains of thought: 1) They've seen enough at previous camps and he's too old or 2) His season last year really messed up his chances at the pros and he should be ready to turn it on big time this year. Attached is this year's Canucks camp roster however. Take a look at the size of those forwards. It's no wonder they took a flyer on Zurvy and tossed a million at him. They like big lengthy forwards including Antoine Laganiere of those Bulldogs down the road.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2011/...oster-released
    Last edited by allnightwong; 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Rumor on the bench is that one of the Bobcat D is transferring to the NESCAC. Any idea whom and to where?

Comment

Originally posted by NESCAC Fan View Post
        Rumor on the bench is that one of the Bobcat D is transferring to the NESCAC. Any idea whom and to where?
        Hopefully not one of the big guys! My guess would be someone who didn't see a lot of ice time. If I had to choose, I'd say possibly Bobby Tyson.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
        Northeast Regional:
        West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NESCAC Fan View Post
          It isn't much of a surprise given how many defensemen will be on the roster next year. Here's a quick rundown.

Mike Glaicar (Sr.) Gaining the "A" on his sweater pretty much pencils him in as staying.

Mike Dalhuisen (Jr.) He has started a charity which the arena has welcomed and helped flourish. He is a personality on and around campus. Not going anywhere.

Loren Barron (Jr.) Came into his own last year and led all defensemen in points. Not a chance.

Zach Davies (Jr.) Davies provides a smart, responsible defensemen who is also one of the brightest kids on the team academically. For that alone, he's not leaving the Q.

Zach Currie (Jr.) May be a little slighted to have to play forward on a few occasions last year, but produced sufficiently in any role. Doubtful, but not out of the realm of possibilities to leave.

Bobby Tyson (Jr.) Rarely played last year (7 games). Also saw action as a forward and was pretty decent in a checking role. Like Mark said, could be the most likely of all to vacate the Q.

Zach Tolkinen (So.) Alot of upside makes me want to believe Tolks will stay. Booming shot, stalwart presence. But definitely a chance that he'll go with 14 games either a healthy scratch or injury scratch last year.

Cory Hibbeler (So.) Hibbs dealt with a lot last year away from home with the passing of his mother, but location isn't an issue with NESCAC being located on our same coast. Hibbs played both D and F for us and I wouldn't be surprised if he booked.

Coming in the Q have two confirmed defensemen, Danny Federico and Jack Callahan. Federico brings a bigger body (6'1, 210) while Callahan brings a more methodical, puck moving presence. Both should be given a spot to compete but also bring our number of defensmen to 10. Now, we're no Yalies but that's far too many D-Men to be patrolling the Bank's ice. This could all be a rumor and unfounded but I would venture to guess that if someone was leaving it'd be Tyson or Hibbeler with a small chance at Tolks or Currie.

Comment

Really nice rundown Wong. Hope its not Tolkinen. Liked a lot of what he did in the 2 games I saw LIVE last year.

Call me up when Barron has a slump. Guy had 6 pts in that UNO weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn57 View Post
              Call me up when Barron has a slump. Guy had 6 pts in that UNO weekend.
              Barron surprised a lot of people last season. Let's hope it continues.
              Quinnipiac Bobcats
              2023 National Champions
              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
              Northeast Regional:

Comment

QU's New Athletic Site Looks very slick and clean. Note the QUTube with Coach Pecknold talking about the 11-12 schedule on the lower right

www.quinnipiacbobcats.com

Comment

Fred- What's the QU Athletic Dept's stand on Super Conferences?

Comment

This is good for college hockey and long overdue. I am sure all will be fine. The Big Ten is great for the sport. Just too bad that the teams out west have so many miles to travel to their games. We are very fortunate here in the East that we have most all our opponents a bus ride away.

Comment

Originally posted by FredDavenport View Post
                      This is good for college hockey and long overdue. I am sure all will be fine. The Big Ten is great for the sport. Just too bad that the teams out west have so many miles to travel to their games. We are very fortunate here in the East that we have most all our opponents a bus ride away.
                      I agree Fred. The addition of the BTHC is only good news as well as the creation of the NCHC. Counting the days to the season opener!

I mentioned in my NHL Development Camp post Zurvy getting left out of Vancouver's camp but it wasn't the reason I cited. As reported in today's Register,he is taking part in the Pittsburgh Penguins Development Camp which brings the Bobcats total of current and future players taking part in NHL camps to 5.
                      http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568905

Comment

QU names Brian Renfrew, former Associate Head Coach at Michigan State, as their Ben Syer replacement at Assistant Coach.

http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com...enfrew-as.html

Comment

Chip in the Register has Michigan State's Brian Renfrew as our new assistant coach.

http://nhrcollegehockey.blogspot.com...enfrew-as.html

His bio on Spartan's website is interesting, sounds like a really good hire. We could use a recruiting coordinator, and a good defensive coach:
                          In his current position at Michigan State University, Renfrew is the program's recruiting coordinator, works primarily with the goaltenders and defensemen, is the program's scheduling coordinator, and is involved with all day-to-day operations of the Spartan hockey program.
                          http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...brian00.html#_

Comment

So what ya think Yanks, any chance he lines up as our next head coach if Rand continues to produce less than stellar seasons? Or at least puts a little pressure on him to get it going? Any other thoughts on the hire Bobcat fans?

Comment

Sounds to me like a good hire. He seems to have the same recruiting abilities as Syer did so maybe we won't skip a beat getting those higher end commits.
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              Northeast Regional:

Comment

I hope he can be viewed as a potential replacement for Rand.

Rand has done great things for QU hockey and will probably go down as one of QU's best coaches, however, year after year teams show great potential and fall short.

Maybe the new assistant coach can take the program to the next level.

Comment

Working...
                                X