PDA

View Full Version : #1 Boston College vs. #6 Northeastern - HEA Semifinals - 3/18

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21

Chickens@NU
03-18-2011, 10:57 PM
why was this disallowed? I had to run out before the refs came out of the booth, looked like the puck clearly crossed the line before the whistle, unless they used the BU-Lowell reasoning of the whistle blow occurs when the ref thinks the whistle should be blown instead of when it actually is. otherwise, looked like a good goal on the TV replays with sound.

I don't know since they never gave an explination but the only thing I can think of is that the net was off. He had his stick lifting the net up.

northeastern
03-18-2011, 11:05 PM
Why is no one talking about the "interference" penalty at the end of the second period that led to bcs fourth goal? Pimm makes a pass, gets run into by a bc player, and gets called for interference. Yes, the officiating was awful on both sides, but if that penalty isn't called, it a whole different game. That "penalty" is what really changed the game. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this....

..terrible call, no question.

There were some terrible ones against BC, tail end of the 3rd as well. I just wish Rawlings would have made.. what looked like a fairly straightforward glove save on the Pimm penalty. What looked like a fairly straightforward save on that 1st goal.. what looked like a fairly ... you get my point :) Not our night..

slurpees
03-18-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't know since they never gave an explination but the only thing I can think of is that the net was off. He had his stick lifting the net up.

i suppose. it was the back of the net that was bumped off the ice for a second, not the front. is the rule that the second the net lifts off the ice, it's automatically a dead play? similar to the no goal in overtime in 2008 when Regan's helmet got knocked off and the subsequent goal was disallowed because helmet off = automatically dead.

Chickens@NU
03-18-2011, 11:11 PM
i suppose. it was the back of the net that was bumped off the ice for a second, not the front. is the rule that the second the net lifts off the ice, it's automatically a dead play? similar to the no goal in overtime in 2008 when Regan's helmet got knocked off and the subsequent goal was disallowed because helmet off = automatically dead.

Maybe... but the bc players stick was still jammed under the net an sticking out the other side when the puck went across the line.

joegrav
03-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I will not miss the heart attacks NU gives us BC fans. I respect the hell out of that NU team and I know theyll be back at the Garden next year. Too bad you guys couldn't make the "NCAAs instead of UNH. The price of youth and inexperience I guess.

The refs were awful for both teams. BC got a PPG on a penalty that should have never been called. Meanwhile, the Eagles also had a mysterious disallowed goal, and were called for every bit of contact down the stretch. Didn't go one way or the other tonight, it was just bad all around.

SkinsFan09
03-19-2011, 12:02 AM
I loathe big Hockey East games because I know the refereeing will be a complete made up joke. Well...we haven't called one on this team in a while...penalty...charging...what? And that goes both ways.

J.D.
03-19-2011, 12:54 AM
why was this disallowed? I had to run out before the refs came out of the booth, looked like the puck clearly crossed the line before the whistle, unless they used the BU-Lowell reasoning of the whistle blow occurs when the ref thinks the whistle should be blown instead of when it actually is. otherwise, looked like a good goal on the TV replays with sound.

Net wasn't off. Puck was in clearly before whistle. My best guess is it was the old "intended to blow the whistle". Anyway, is it really that hard for them to give a freakin explanation?

Why is no one talking about the "interference" penalty at the end of the second period that led to bcs fourth goal? Pimm makes a pass, gets run into by a bc player, and gets called for interference. Yes, the officiating was awful on both sides, but if that penalty isn't called, it a whole different game. That "penalty" is what really changed the game. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this....

Bad call, no doubt, but I don't know if it's a completely different game. NU didn't even score in the 3rd until the phantom calls on BC. Guess we'll never know.

slurpees
03-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Anyway, is it really that hard for them to give a freakin explanation?

cue the cascade of lowell fans.

edit: Whitney's goal was #2 on the sportscenter top 10 tonight.

FiveHole12
03-19-2011, 06:00 AM
That was a good hockey game, then they switched the regularly scheduled program to the John Gravalles show. That sucked.

!5:01, 16:26, 18:17… John Gravallese giveth.
19:45… John Gravallese taketh away.

Onion Man
03-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Good effort by NU. Has anyone explained why the waived off goal was no good? Certainly seemed on TV like it was in the net by the time the whistle blew.

Zudnic
03-19-2011, 08:22 AM
edit: Whitney's goal was #2 on the sportscenter top 10 tonight.Sweet. I was wondering if it would make it. It was amazing.. but I felt like there was a lot of luck in that one.

Ryecheers
03-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Good effort by NU. Has anyone explained why the waived off goal was no good? Certainly seemed on TV like it was in the net by the time the whistle blew.

One possible explanation is that the ref had lost sight of the puck and was slightly tardy in blowing his whistle. Remember Lowell/bu in 2009? I think that screw-job has provided the UML screwees a "concussion" that has been felt for the past two seasons.

Another possibility, which occurred to me during my third viewing of the replay, is that the BC player slid into the puck and that action caused it to enter the net before he got his stick on it.

Ryecheers
03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Sweet. I was wondering if it would make it. It was amazing.. but I felt like there was a lot of luck in that one.

There was a lot of luck as he basically closed his eyes and flung the puck at the net the only way that he could as Oleksiak was draped all over him. Next year Jamie will know to not worry about taking a penalty in that kind of situation.

Helluva goal. Darn it

KOPrice
03-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Wanted to make sure to give props to the Northeastern student section.

Very loud and engaged.

They made me laugh out loud midway through the third period, after BC went up 5-2.

The BC fans started the "Where's your beanpot?" chant - and before they had the third iteration out, the NU fans were LOUDLY chanting:

"Nineteen-Eighty!"

sterlippo1
03-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Wanted to make sure to give props to the Northeastern student section.

Very loud and engaged.

as always.......... 5 games against each other and all of them were nail biters . There shouldn't be any reason NU isnt back again next year

Zudnic
03-19-2011, 08:54 AM
NU's "Sunday School" riff on the old "Safety School" chant came through clearly on NESN. that was gold.

kcnuloyal
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
The bottom line is that we put ourselves in a position to have to go through BC to get to the final when we stunk up the joint the first half of the season. I love the way the team responded in the second half of the year, fought through the distractions, and skated with some of the best teams in the country down the stretch. I'm not often optimistic about the progression of our freshmen since they usually flame out or leave for the pros, but I do have high hopes for this class. They are definitely skilled, so it remains to be seen if they can play with consistent composure and discipline to get us back here next year and win a meaningful game.

Congrats to BC, you guys raise your game in the biggest moments every time, and that sort of consistency on the big stage is impressive. As much as it pains me to say it, it's always exciting to watch BC play. Looking forward to a very entertaining game tonight!

Chickens@NU
03-19-2011, 09:44 AM
The bottom line is that we put ourselves in a position to have to go through BC to get to the final when we stunk up the joint the first half of the season. I love the way the team responded in the second half of the year, fought through the distractions, and skated with some of the best teams in the country down the stretch. I'm not often optimistic about the progression of our freshmen since they usually flame out or leave for the pros, but I do have high hopes for this class. They are definitely skilled, so it remains to be seen if they can play with consistent composure and discipline to get us back here next year and win a meaningful game.

Congrats to BC, you guys raise your game in the biggest moments every time, and that sort of consistency on the big stage is impressive. As much as it pains me to say it, it's always exciting to watch BC play. Looking forward to a very entertaining game tonight!

You're right. Bottom line is we lost. I'm still going to be bitter about the way the 2nd period ended. down 3-2 instead of 4-2 against bc is a big difference. And I know that bc got screwed in the end too. Not denying that. bc made more of their opportunities.

I wish we didn't delete our dvr of the game cause I will put money on the fact that the bc player had his stick under the netting with it sticking out the other side. That is the ONLY reason I can think of that the play was ruled no goal. The puck was in before the whistle, but the net was off with the stick under the net. I will be watching it in two today and i will see if I am right. That's the only thing I can think of.

That said, I'm still bitter and I will be rooting for MC when I'm at the garden tonight. I think it would be good for hockey east and hockey in general for an underdog to win. Go Mack!

I'm not rooting for MC cause I'm bitter. I would have been rooting for them no matter what if NU lost. I will even be rooting for them in the NCAAs too. The underdogs are always who I like to root for after my team.

kcnuloyal
03-19-2011, 10:00 AM
You're right. Bottom line is we lost. I'm still going to be bitter about the way the 2nd period ended. down 3-2 instead of 4-2 against bc is a big difference. And I know that bc got screwed in the end too. Not denying that. bc made more of their opportunities.

I wish we didn't delete our dvr of the game cause I will put money on the fact that the bc player had his stick under the netting with it sticking out the other side. That is the ONLY reason I can think of that the play was ruled no goal. The puck was in before the whistle, but the net was off with the stick under the net. I will be watching it in two today and i will see if I am right. That's the only thing I can think of.

That said, I'm still bitter and I will be rooting for MC when I'm at the garden tonight. I think it would be good for hockey east and hockey in general for an underdog to win. Go Mack!

I'm not rooting for MC cause I'm bitter. I would have been rooting for them no matter what if NU lost. I will even be rooting for them in the NCAAs too. The underdogs are always who I like to root for after my team.

Yeah in the interest of a great story, I'll definitely be rooting for Mack tonight.

And props to you for being able to watch that whole game again knowing what the outcome will be....don't think I could sit through it again. :(

Chickens@NU
03-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Yeah in the interest of a great story, I'll definitely be rooting for Mack tonight.

And props to you for being able to watch that whole game again knowing what the outcome will be....don't think I could sit through it again. :(

I want to see that goal that was waived off (if they play it) just cause I want to see if infact tyhe bc guys stick was under the net through the other side. don't know if i will be able to though, getting a hair cut at 3 and getting my wife at 4 to head in to the gahden. Oh well.