No announcement yet.

Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston College Hockey 2010-2011, Part III - Championship Season Has Begun

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    I completely agree. I think both of these teams think that they are the best, and they would both probably rather not play the other unless it is for the title. I also agree that even talking about a potential matchup at this point is getting way ahead of ourselves. Personally, I don't think they'll play each other. It's a gut feeling I've had since about November that one, or both, will fall in the Regionals.
    which year was the most disappointing for UND fans.. as an outsider i'd have to wager it was in 2004 when the Parise lead team failed to make it to boston. I was pumped for the prospects of finally seeing him (and Kessel) but got stuck with UMD and DU!

also seems you guys get sent east alot. i guess its the drawback of having a great travelling fanbase
    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

I have all the respect in the world for North Dakota, as they are a team with seemingly no weaknesses. However, as others have pointed out, the team does not have a ton of FF experience and that can sometimes be a real issue. Muse is 4-0 in the FF, with a .75 GAA and a .957 save % and that was going against some pretty potent offenses. BC on the whole outscored its opponents by a combined 22-3 margin in those same FF games and this year's addition is clearly deeper, more talented, and more experienced than either of those previous two Championship teams. Anything can happen - and probably will, but you have to think there will be a bit more pressure on the UND players and coaching staff as BC has already been there, done that.

Comment

I really hope that the discussion on this board doesn't devolve into other teams whining that "wahhh we aren't giving their team enough credit" (Miami fans).
        I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
          A little off topic, but I never saw any photos of BC posing with the Hockey East regular season trophy they won up in Durham. The trophy had to have been there, because it was either BC or UNH who was going to win it.

Do they not have teams celebrate on opponents ice? Did Joe Bertanga, or another Hockey East representative, make a presentation to the team?
          They only present the regular season trophy on ice when it is won by the home team.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SteveF View Post
            which year was the most disappointing for UND fans.. as an outsider i'd have to wager it was in 2004 when the Parise lead team failed to make it to boston. I was pumped for the prospects of finally seeing him (and Kessel) but got stuck with UMD and DU!

also seems you guys get sent east alot. i guess its the drawback of having a great travelling fanbase
            '05 was more disappointing because I thought we outplayed Denver and got beat in the title game. '04 was definitely disappointing, but it was in the Regional Finals. The '04 was just about as perfect a hockey game that I've ever seen played. North Dakota played nearly perfect, and Denver played perfect. If it wasn't for a flukey goal, that game could have gone to many, many overtimes. It was the best hockey game I've ever seen. I think that's why I can live with the '04 game moreso than the '05.

And yes, we do get sent East more often than we should. It was disappointing last year when we beat SCSU in the WCHA Tournament Title game, and then they get the 2 seed in Minneapolis, and we get sent out East (on top of that, we were the top 2 seed and had to play the top 3 seed). Saying that, since '03 (8 tourneys) we've been sent out East 3 times ('05, '09, '10), stayed West 4 times ('03, '04, '07, '08) and hosted once ('06). What's interesting, is that we were either in the host's bracket or played a team that was within an hour or two driving distance when we had to fly in nearly every single tournament, other than '06 when we hosted.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
              I have all the respect in the world for North Dakota, as they are a team with seemingly no weaknesses. However, as others have pointed out, the team does not have a ton of FF experience and that can sometimes be a real issue. Muse is 4-0 in the FF, with a .75 GAA and a .957 save % and that was going against some pretty potent offenses. BC on the whole outscored its opponents by a combined 22-3 margin in those same FF games and this year's addition is clearly deeper, more talented, and more experienced than either of those previous two Championship teams. Anything can happen - and probably will, but you have to think there will be a bit more pressure on the UND players and coaching staff as BC has already been there, done that.
              Completely agree. Although, I don't put too much weight on Frozen Four experience directly leading to success. All one has to do is look at Minnesota in '02, Denver in '04, Wisconsin in '06, Michigan State in '07 and BU in '09 for teams that won it all without anyone on their roster having been to a Frozen Four. Also, 19 of BC's 26 player's last year hadn't played in a Frozen Four (nor an NCAA Tournament game) prior to their run last year. Again though, it's an advantage to have, but it's just not very indicative of future success at the Frozen Four (obviously didn't help North Dakota in '06, '07 or '08).

As for pressure, if North Dakota makes it, they will have a ton of pressure. They haven't won a title in 11 years, Hakstol has never won a title, they are playing as close as they ever will for a title, and the X will be packed with Green. I really wouldn't be surprised if the X is 1/3-1/2 (if not more) UND fans if they make it.
              North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
                A little off topic, but I never saw any photos of BC posing with the Hockey East regular season trophy they won up in Durham. The trophy had to have been there, because it was either BC or UNH who was going to win it.

Do they not have teams celebrate on opponents ice? Did Joe Bertanga, or another Hockey East representative, make a presentation to the team?
                Nope. The two teams shook hands at center ice after the game and then BC skated off to their locker room. It was a beautiful thing.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                  Nope. The two teams shook hands at center ice after the game and then BC skated off to their locker room. It was a beautiful thing.
                  it was indeed

Originally posted by JMSF#1 View Post
                  I really hope that the discussion on this board doesn't devolve into other teams whining that "wahhh we aren't giving their team enough credit" (Miami fans).
                  yeah, and perhaps we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and talk about playing the sioux even though it seems to be a dream match up....................the Huskies are next! ......speaking of the Sioux, i watched some of their clincher vs MTU and the ceremony afterwards with them getting the MacNau cup. it was quite grandiose for a regular season trophy presentation of which they have so many of (15) that they may have to add on to REA and aka the NHL, no one touched it

Comment

The '04 was just about as perfect a hockey game that I've ever seen played. North Dakota played nearly perfect, and Denver played perfect. If it wasn't for a flukey goal, that game could have gone to many, many overtimes. It was the best hockey game I've ever seen. I think that's why I can live with the '04 game moreso than the '05.
                    Reminds me of the 98 title game. What a well-played game that one was and we lost but I could live with it.

What's interesting, is that we were either in the host's bracket or played a team that was within an hour or two driving distance when we had to fly in nearly every single tournament, other than '06 when we hosted.
                    Well... surely living in the middle of nowhere has its disadvantages. It is what it is.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      Reminds me of the 98 title game. What a well-played game that one was and we lost but I could live with it.
                      At the time, I was very bummed out for you guys. If I had known that you'd be making another 8 trips to the Frozen Four in the next 10 or so years and win 3 titles, I wouldn't have felt so bad That was a classic though.

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      Well... surely living in the middle of nowhere has its disadvantages. It is what it is.
                      Exactly. There are only about 3 or 4 places that a regional COULD be that we could drive (Grand Forks, Xcel Energy, Mariucci). If they lifted the restriction of on-campus sites, then that would open up SCSU and UMD, but still not many places. That's why many Sioux fans wish that the First Round (or perhaps even the 2nd round) were on-campus of the higher seeded team.

As you said, it is what it is.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                        yeah, and perhaps we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves and talk about playing the sioux even though it seems to be a dream match up....................the Huskies are next!
                        It is easy to look ahead but I think it is important for this team to be on a roll (winning the HE tournament) when they head into the NCAAs. Northeastern has been a tough out for BC this year and they really need to bring their A game and stay out of the box.

That being said, us fans looking ahead really doesn't mean anything....I trust Jerry has the team thinking about Northeastern and Northeastern only at this point.
                        I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, no matter what the others promise to do... when it comes to the showdown, they won't be there

EAGLE HOCKEY

1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

“I want to be like them.” -Scott Sandelin

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                          speaking of the Sioux, i watched some of their clincher vs MTU and the ceremony afterwards with them getting the MacNau cup. it was quite grandiose for a regular season trophy presentation of which they have so many of (15) that they may have to add on to REA and aka the NHL, no one touched it
                          We in the west think very highly of the MacNaughton Cup. We do probably celebrate it more than anyone celebrates anything else, minus the National Championship. That being said, if you thought this year's was a big celebration, you should have watched the '09 celebration...

Part 1:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2cVcKlD7O4

Part 2:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfMfa...eature=related

We proceeded to play terrible hockey and lose our next three games. I like that we didn't get too into it this year...shows that we are focused on better things.
                          North Dakota

Comment

We in the west think very highly of the MacNaughton Cup. We do probably celebrate it more than anyone celebrates anything else, minus the National Championship. That being said, if you thought this year's was a big celebration, you should have watched the '09 celebration...

Part 1:

Part 2:

We proceeded to play terrible hockey and lose our next three games.
                            Does your coach text recruits too?
                            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by JMSF#1 View Post
                              You're not giving us enough credit!!!!!!!!

Hey, we have to beat you guys some time... right?

Looking forward to a chance at redemption this year led by Hobey Miele.

Comment

Part 1:

Part 2:

We proceeded to play terrible hockey and lose our next three games. I like that we didn't get too into it this year...shows that we are focused on better things.
                                Looks a lot like when UNH wins the regular season title. Big doin's up there. Makes it easy for the visiting fans to get out of the parking lot though.

Probably the best thing to happen to UNH in years, not winning the RS title. Too bad they probably get stuck with us in their regional though.
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X