Vermont : Let the offseason begin...2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont : Let the offseason begin...2011

Well the end of another season has come, much earlier then we expected starting the season. Although this season was a disappointment I think there are some good things that happened to end the season.

Mackenzie - IMO the best D-Man the team had all season, solid defensively with an offensive flare that resulted in a decent point streak at the end of the season.

Bruneteau - Great season as a freshman D-Man, has a knack for running a dismal PP that will hopefully come to fruition next season as the offense becomes more talented.

Madore - had a consistent season, didn't have the slump that he had as Soph, although he had a night off here and there he was pretty much the Madore of 2008. Although, I think Sneddon needs to play Vazzano at least a few games next year.

Offensively, the Stalberg/McCarthy/ Decenzo was the best line.... and should be around for two more seasons. They will get better. The Brickley/White/Lenz line is high energy and put up decent numbers as frosh... they should become more offensively minded and much more effective after an offseason of condition at the college level. Albertson has picked it up and filled in nicely. With the incoming class I see 3 solid lines and a good checking line, with or without Leonard although clearly he would make it better if he stays.

The few Griems played in he looked decent, and Franzon is solid. Losing half of the defense is tough, but I think with Mackenzie, Bruneteau, and Franzon there are enough vets to lead the new comers. As long as there are no major defections the Cats are in good shape for next season and beyond. This is a blip, and that's not a bad thing, the program has progressed to the point where we expect to be competitive with the best in HE and the country. I do think the first 3-4 games of the season are important to team moral and confidence, that hurt big this season. Playing top teams is key to making the NCAA's but how about starting the season against a middle of the pack team...just to get things rolling.
    Originally posted by Hokydad
    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Re: Vermont : Let the offseason begin...2011

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
    much earlier then we expected starting the season.
    but only because you're delusional

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
      Oh nice to see you again. You have been strangely missing over the past season...

Comment

The Brickley/White/Lenz line is high energy and put up decent numbers as frosh... they should become more offensively minded and much more effective after an offseason of condition at the college level.
        Freshman Connor Brickley looks like a college star in the making. If he doesn't leave school early to enter the Florida Panthers' system, he could achieve some lofty goals in his senior year.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by UMLGoon View Post
          You need to change your name because you have once again shown that you are not a UML fan but a flamefan.

Why was this only your 3rd post since Jan 1st????

I see the REAL UML fans continuing to post while you disappear because you only want to flame and with your
          team struggling so bad you were afriad to post because you had nothing to back up your regular spew.

And even now when your team once again has its season end BEFORE Vermont....Oh I think thats says it all.
          New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Really a disappointing season. Eight wins is a very poor showing coming off six consecutive winning campaigns and trips to the NCAA the prior two years, and a couple of HE final four tournament games in the prior three years.

The positives were few and far between. I guess I would call Bruneteau a pleasant surprise - nice to see him get his first goal off his back last night. Otherwise I thought the freshmen underperformed my admittedly high expectations. And the upperclassmen did not step up as much as I hoped outside of Downing who had a nice year in terms of putting up goals. I think losing Pacan really cost them a handful of games as he was going to be a very good power forward in the college game. Losing Stacey certainly did not help either.

But the top problems that need to be fixed IMHO are:

Power play. How long can it continue to be so bad? They may not be the most skilled offensive players but at some point they need to make it an advantage. for much of this year I wanted them to forfeit the power play as it hampered their momentum more than it helped. It got better late in the year but was still inexcusably ineffective on balance. If they improve that next year (which I keep saying every year) then they will be competitive.

PK. Sneddon used to be known for a strong PK. It seems to have gone away with the graduation of Dean Strong..... It needs help.

Looking forward. We need the young forwards to contribute and step up. I think the new D will play a solid game, most of them are reported to be good players. I would like to see young Vazzano get some games. Just running Madore out there every night just seems weird when you have another supposedly solid goalie on the bench.

I'm looking forward to next year, for the most part there is no place to go but up and if we see some development out of this years sophomores and freshmen then we should see a nice offensive improvement and I doubt the D or goaltending will drop off from this years level.

Comment

I think it was just a poor class going out. Downing is alright but he wasn't meant to carry this team. The team is still going to be young next year as Marshall will be the lone senior forward. That said, I think looking at the sophmore class of Roos, Stalberg, McCarthy and Albertson, these are the guys that need to step up as Juniors. And these guys have progressed nicely with the exception of Roos

Stalberg F: 19pts in 36 S: 28pts in 36g
              McCarthy F: 17pts in 35 S: 20pts in 36g
              Albertson F: 1pt in 4g S: 6pts in 23g
              Roos F: 10pts in 35 S: 9pts in 32g
              Brickley F: 13pts in 35
              White F: 11pts in 34
              Lenz F: 7 pts in 35
              Decenzo F: 9 pts in 35

For Comparison :

V.Stalberg F: 15pts in 39g S: 23pts in 39g J: 46pts in 39g.

Stalberg and McCarthy should continue to build on their success and should be the team leaders.

That's one thing this team really needs a leader. Have to think the "C" goes to Mackenzie.

Brickley and White will be solid scorers next year. Especially White who made great strides adjusting after playing prep school last year.

Comment

One thing you didnt see this year on the PK as much as in the past was blocked shots. Maybe we dont have the guys that can or want to do it all the time, guys
                like Sifers,Strong,Wisnowski and even Stacey (in previous years) made it so hard for shots to ever get thru from the points. We do a good job of being aggressive
                high and pressure the points but when the puck does get low usually late in the shift everything seems to breakdown.

This weekend was a perfect example on why we dont have a good PP, not enough finishers or guys with great hands. If you watch how fast UNH's PP moved the
                puck while our PP has trouble getting more than 2 or 3 passes without having to regroup.

Funny thing is if you take the two best snipers off UNH like Vermont had happen this year then how does this series go?
                New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                  You need to change your name because you have once again shown that you are not a UML fan but a flamefan.

Why was this only your 3rd post since Jan 1st????

I see the REAL UML fans continuing to post while you disappear because you only want to flame and with your
                  team struggling so bad you were afriad to post because you had nothing to back up your regular spew.

And even now when your team once again has its season end BEFORE Vermont....Oh I think thats says it all.
                  Their season always ends before Vermont's because they shouldn't even be a division I team. I think he's the delusional one. I'd be depressed and only post 3 times since January too If i were a fan of such a garbage squad

Comment

Originally posted by midge843 View Post
                    Their season always ends before Vermont's because they shouldn't even be a division I team. I think he's the delusional one. I'd be depressed and only post 3 times since January too If i were a fan of such a garbage squad
                    I think this is a little unfair to UML and their TRUE fans

Comment

Here are what we have for possible incoming recruits :

Forwards :

Markinson 37pts in 38g
                      Montagna 17pts in 46g
                      Anthoine 32pts in 44g
                      Mountain 27pts in 60g
                      Reynolds 78pts in 49g
                      Girgenson 37pts in 38g
                      Forgione 29pts in 31g

Defense:

Doerring 9pts in 45g
                      Lukko 11pts in 31g
                      Pailiotta

By the looks of it there are few immediate impact freshman, Girgenson if he comes. Reynolds looks like a true offensive scorer but I am not really sure how competitive the AJHL is. Markinson and Anthoine also ought to contribute as well.

Just quickly you could throw together some lines :

McCarthy - Decenzo - Stalberg
                      Brickley - White - Lenz
                      Reynolds - Girgenson - Marshall
                      Albertson (Forgoine) - Markinson (Mountain)- Roos (Anthoine)

That's not really a prediction but simply to look at possibilities, but from my perspective those top 3 lines look pretty good. Especially I think the White line will see a big boost in output. And if Girgensons come and Reynolds has the skill it appears on paper he has, that line could be a big contributor to offensive production.

Comment

I think this is a little unfair to UML and their TRUE fans
                        Indeed, I enjoyed the fact there was a few UML fans talking about their team all the way to the end.

UML Goon and Patronick could take a lesson from these fans.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

early spring again, crap

Ok, I'm ready to golf

How many days until the next UVM game?

Comment

Was a tough loss on saturday night. Like they have during the second half, they worked real hard and I was proud of the way they stayed with it and played competitive. Gravallese was a trainwreck saturday night, i'm not one to get on the refs but he was just a joke. He made a point to make himself part of the game and the last 2 minutes should have been about two teams giving everything they had until the buzzer. Didn't see what Lenz did at all, but the Miller call was personal. Miller put a shoulder into the chest of the forward, very clean hit, and was called for cross-checking. Gravellese was fumed over Sneddon and Miller both adamantly disputing the Lenz call. Was proud they managed a 5 on 3 breakaway off the faceoff after getting jobbed, no way unh should have allowed that. From what I saw on the weekend, unh (as a team) is going nowhere this weekend or next.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                              One thing you didnt see this year on the PK as much as in the past was blocked shots. Maybe we dont have the guys that can or want to do it all the time, guys
                              like Sifers,Strong,Wisnowski and even Stacey (in previous years) made it so hard for shots to ever get thru from the points. We do a good job of being aggressive
                              high and pressure the points but when the puck does get low usually late in the shift everything seems to breakdown.

This weekend was a perfect example on why we dont have a good PP, not enough finishers or guys with great hands. If you watch how fast UNH's PP moved the
                              puck while our PP has trouble getting more than 2 or 3 passes without having to regroup.

Funny thing is if you take the two best snipers off UNH like Vermont had happen this year then how does this series go?
                              Your wrong here.

Comment

Working...
                              X