Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vermont : Let the offseason begin...2011

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
    Hmmm, tough finish to the season with the last 7 games against BC, BU, and UNH. .
    That was Northeastern's gauntlet for the past couple of seasons. Last year we went 2-2-2 with two of our coaches benched for texting. Not it's your turn. Thank the Commish. He makes the league schedules. Great fun!

Comment

Per USHR Girgensons is being offered $700k from major junior. Sorry to say it but it doesnt look good for a Catamount fan.

Comment

It sounds like a good class for the Cats, although I am not sure about Massar I saw him play at Clarkson, IDK if he that good. Girgensons would be great if he came but if not we can use his scholarship for someone else.
        Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
        National Champions 1992, 2001
        21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
        National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
        Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Official schedule release today - http://uvmathletics.com/news/2011/8/...809115854.aspx

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
          HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
          HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Stanley Cup's coming to Burlington, Sept 3rd.. enjoy it guys..
            that & a certain UVM alum to go along
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Good story on Nick Bruneteau on the INCH website. Curious to see how well his brother plays this season. Link: http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/.../az_bruneteau/

Comment

I doubt that money is as much of an issue for Girgensons as it might be for others. His father is a successful international businessman. They want him to have an education and he likes Vermont which are two huge benefits UVM has. Having said that - with the global economy we have - who knows. Would suck to lose him but we may only have him for a year or two anyway.

Sounds like a good incoming class with Paliotta, Luukko and Reynolds being the headliners and Bruneteau having some serious potential although those are very weak numbers for a usually offensively talented Nodak team. I think the key to this class is Montagna and Markinson and what they bring for offense. Obviously would have been nice to have Girgensons too but what can you do. They don't have many seniors this year so the following year should be strong if they have goaltending.

t

Comment

Some news on Girgensons....looks like he won't report to Kelowna's (WHL) training camp for the upcoming season. He will play for Dubuque again this year:

http://reganbartel.blogspot.com/2011...k-no-show.html

This is good news for now...but a lot can happen over the next year before he is scheduled to matriculate.

Regarding the schedule, our first game will be 2 weeks later than normal (usually have the exhibition with a canadian university the first Sunday in October). I wonder if they'll have an intrasquad game (green/gold) game that will be open to the public?

Comment

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...&blogger_id=99

Julie Robenhymer interviews Brett and Nick Bruneteau (at bottom of post below section on Stanley Cup coming to UVM)

Also she also mentions Connor Brickley as having done well in Lake Placid at the National Junior Team Evaluation Camp
                    - "My big surprises were Kenny Agostino (Yale), Connor Brickley (Vermont) and Vince Trocheck (Saginaw)." -

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...&blogger_id=99

Comment

Little off topic, but next year will mark 25 years post-graduation from UVM. That's just wrong! Go Cats!

Comment

We've gotta get some UVM hockey talk goin here.

Stated in terms of a percentage, rate UVM's chances of accomplishing/doing the following over the next 10 years:
                        1. Winning a regular season Hockey East title?
                        2. Winning the post-season Hockey East tournament title?
                        3. Making a 3rd appearance in the Frozen Four?
                        4. Winning an NCAA National Championship?
                        5. Having a player win the Hobey Baker award?
                        6. Having to hire a new coach?
                        7. Firing Kevin Sneddon or a subsequent coach?
                        8. Play a game in a new facility (i.e., rink, arena, multi-purpose facility, etc.)?
                        9. Begin construction on a new facility?
                        10. Continue to "study" the possibility of building a new facility?

My picks:
                        1. 20% (Cats have never shown the kind of consistency over a full season needed to do this)
                        2. 40% (having a hot team or goalie gets this done)
                        3. 25% (I'm an optimist)
                        4. 15% (one of those things where you think "I can die happy")
                        5. 15% (we're due for another player the caliber of MSL (if that's even possible))
                        6. 65% (10 years is a long time)
                        7. 5% (UVM's not "that kind" of school)
                        8. 10% (I'm a pessimist)
                        9. 20% (it's gotta happen sometime, right?)
                        10. 80% (a new facility has been talked about for as long as I can remember)

Comment

1. Winning a regular season Hockey East title? 5% (with BC and UNH to contend with this is tough)
                          2. Winning the post-season Hockey East tournament title? 50% (they have already made the Championship game so they can do this)
                          3. Making a 3rd appearance in the Frozen Four? 75%
                          4. Winning an NCAA National Championship? 25%
                          5. Having a player win the Hobey Baker award? 10%
                          6. Having to hire a new coach? 25%
                          7. Firing Kevin Sneddon or a subsequent coach? 25% (you never know what scandal will happen)
                          8. Play a game in a new facility (i.e., rink, arena, multi-purpose facility, etc.)? 75%
                          9. Begin construction on a new facility? 75%
                          10. Continue to "study" the possibility of building a new facility? 100% its already going on

My picks:
                          1. 20% (Cats have never shown the kind of consistency over a full season needed to do this)
                          2. 40% (having a hot team or goalie gets this done)
                          3. 25% (I'm an optimist)
                          4. 15% (one of those things where you think "I can die happy")
                          5. 15% (we're due for another player the caliber of MSL (if that's even possible))
                          6. 65% (10 years is a long time)
                          8. 10% (I'm a pessimist)
                          10. 80% (a new facility has been talked about for as long as I can remember)

Comment

pardon the erroneous cut and paste of the original blogger....

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                              pardon the erroneous cut and paste of the original blogger....
                              No problem. With #10, I meant continue to study the possibility and do nothing else--i.e., no #8 or #9. I hope that doesn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

1. Winning a regular season Hockey East title? 5% (with BC and UNH to contend with this is tough)
                                2. Winning the post-season Hockey East tournament title? 50% (they have already made the Championship game so they can do this)
                                3. Making a 3rd appearance in the Frozen Four? 75%
                                4. Winning an NCAA National Championship? 25%
                                5. Having a player win the Hobey Baker award? 10%
                                6. Having to hire a new coach? 25%
                                7. Firing Kevin Sneddon or a subsequent coach? 25% (you never know what scandal will happen)
                                8. Play a game in a new facility (i.e., rink, arena, multi-purpose facility, etc.)? 75%
                                9. Begin construction on a new facility? 75%
                                10. Continue to "study" the possibility of building a new facility? 100% its already going on

My picks:
                                1. 20% A new rink would help.
                                2. 30% (It could happen, I would not bet the farm on it)
                                3. 90% (We should have a better teams then when we were in the ECAC. Sneddon has proven to be a good recruiter, and we'll be back within the next 10. )
                                4. 5% (one of those things where you think "I can die happy")
                                5. 5% (but we are due)
                                6. 20% (10 years is a long time, but he's been very good)
                                8. 10% (I'm a pessimist)
                                10. 100% (We have been studying this getting rid of the Gut for years!
                                Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                                National Champions 1992, 2001
                                21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                                National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                                Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Working...
                                X