Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Blake Pietila is Ranked #105 in NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings before the upcoming NHL Draft.
    Originally posted by SCSU Euro
    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Sturos kind of fell off the radar after being a USHL first round draft pick. I believe he's now playing for the NAHL's Alexandria Blizzard.
      Not surprising coming from MI high school to a good USHL team. Many players spend two to three years in the USHL before moving on, with similar first years to Sturos'. He's still got alot of potential, just give him time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
        Blake Pietila is Ranked #105 in NHL Central Scouting's Final Rankings before the upcoming NHL Draft.
        McKeen's did a long interview with Blake. Some highlights:
        McKeen's: In my personal opinion, of the 1993s as a group, from the beginning of last year and the course of this year, you're probably the most improved player over that course of time. So, in what areas do you feel you've developed the most in your time at The Program and what's helped you pick it up?

Pietila: I think it all started in the summer. I worked out with a guy named Chris Ramberg, where I live in Brighton, Michigan. He helped me a lot with my speed and conditioning.
        Ramberg would be a great hire for MTU. He's a great guy, has family up here, and is the trainer that brought Trent D. from the PL Pioneers to having the highest +/- in the ECHL this year.
        Pietila: Well, actually, the coach, Jamie Russell, just stepped down. They don't have a coach at this point. But, as of right now, I'm hoping to step in and play next year.

McKeen's: I'd say you have a decent chance of that. You were selected by Windsor of the OHL Priority Selection. Do they still hold your rights?

Pietila: Yep.

McKeen's: Do you foresee any potential pressure from an NHL team to go the major junior route and would you consider it?

Pietila: I guess if an NHL team that drafts me wants me to go there, I guess that's a possibility. But, if that doesn't happen (pauses)? I was looking at it before I made this national team, but at this point I don't see that as an option unless an NHL team would want me to do it.
        edit: I have a feeling the interviewer was smiling when he guessed that Blake has a "decent chance" of cracking the lineup next season.
        Last edited by geezer; 04-12-2011, 02:03 PM.
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
          I don't believe Reid Sturos is coming next year any more. Also would not be surprised if the new coach pulls Johnstone for next year.
          I know it'll be up to the new coach, but are you saying Sturos isn't coming at all or would be 2012?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
            I know it'll be up to the new coach, but are you saying Sturos isn't coming at all or would be 2012?
            Likely 2012.

Comment

Job opening for those interested. Would be fun.

http://careers.virgin.com/search/1921/
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Check out the last paragraph.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...|text|Sports|s

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
                  Why wouldn't you bring him in next year? I'd pull current scholarships if that's what it takes.

Comment

Clay Wilson was named to the US National Team for the World Championships.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_03&id=303298
                    Last edited by Flashy Man; 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM.
                    What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                      Clay Wilson was named to the US National Team for the World Championships.

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Us...1_03&id=303298
                      Nice to see Clay make the team, but at the same time it brings to mind a saying I've seen around here before. Getting selected for the national team when most of the World's hockey talent is playing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs... Is like being the fastest kid in the Special Olympics.

Ahh, I guess this good news is better than no good news and should hold me over until we get a coach. Also have some former Tech-ers in the playoffs - Sutton, Conner, Ruutu, and Durno is property of the Lightning, but has not cracked the lineup yet this year so unless there are some freak injuries, I don't think we will see him this spring with the Bolts. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        Nice to see Clay make the team, but at the same time it brings to mind a saying I've seen around here before. Getting selected for the national team when most of the World's hockey talent is playing in the Stanley Cup Playoffs... Is like being the fastest kid in the Special Olympics.

Ahh, I guess this good news is better than no good news and should hold me over until we get a coach. Also have some former Tech-ers in the playoffs - Sutton, Conner, Ruutu, and Durno is property of the Lightning, but has not cracked the lineup yet this year so unless there are some freak injuries, I don't think we will see him this spring with the Bolts. Anyone else I'm forgetting?

Ryan J
                        John Scott

Comment

So anyone have any ideas on who the assistant will be. Would be nice if they introduced him at the same time.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I hope Tech gets a top notch assistant coach?

Maybe Danton Cole or Eric Rud? Anyother names? The assistants with the USA programs in Ann Arbor, Brian Renfrew, Tim Blashill and Ron Forgerty coach at Adrian a top notch D3 program and former assistant coach with Bowling Green.

Comment

I'm sure the new coach will have the vast majority of the say in who his assistants are.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                I'm sure the new coach will have the vast majority of the say in who his assistants are.
                                I hope it is a big name assistant coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X