Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason Thread I: Not Winning and the ensuing drama.

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
    Tech should create a class called, Sports Marketing & Social Media. The curriculum would include everything from Facebook to merchandising. It would save money because they could fire the current PR staff, who are incompetent, and use students to do the work.

Another good class would be Internet Broadcasting so those of us living out of state could see hockey, basketball and football games. We should give Mark Cuban an honorary degree and get him to underwrite the whole thing...
    Cuban is a natural choice to become an honorary alum of MTU due to his background and how he made his fortune. Your idea has lots of potential. If only the suits would listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
      Someone said Tony Esposito isn't willing to assist the hockey program in any way. What's up with that?
      I've read that before, probably on here, but I've wondered the same thing. Why not help your alma mater get back to its winning ways?

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
      the whole athletic/hockey department needs to be cleaned out. Their website, their director of communications, their PA system in the rink (the list could go on)..... are an embarrassment. They operate like a high school
      Completely agree, I've wondered why aren't people trying to make changes to some of the little things to just act like a D1 program. As time goes on things just continue to be the same.

Comment

Your site is awesome- looks professional, attractive and captures the tradition of MTU hockey; something that a former player or future recruit could be proud of. It puts tech's to shame. Another reason that the whole athletic/hockey department needs to be cleaned out. Their website, their director of communications, their PA system in the rink (the list could go on)..... are an embarrassment. They operate like a high school; actually I've seen high schools with better websites and PR guys. Keep up the good work and send the link to the new coach; better yet send it to the prospective coaches - It's a better advertisement than Tech can provide. The championship game is a nice touch; I never seen this before.

http://www.techhockeyguide.com/
        So JSR, how do you propose to make these changes and improvements within the current budget? Your athletic communications staff is among the best in the GLIAC. They do an outstanding job with hockey as well. They certainly stack up well against the other D-II schools playing D-I hockey.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          So JSR, how do you propose to make these changes and improvements within the current budget? Your athletic communications staff is among the best in the GLIAC. They do an outstanding job with hockey as well. They certainly stack up well against the other D-II schools playing D-I hockey.
          Fire Ian.
          Originally posted by SCSU Euro
          What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Suzanne talks about the coaching position and MTU hockey among other things during this interview on the Green Bay sports radio station.

http://wnflam.com/podcasts/maino-and...-mtu-ad-32311/

Edit:
            I see we are play AA twice next year, and early in the season too.
            Last edited by manurespreader; 03-30-2011, 08:24 AM.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I see we are play AA twice next year, and early in the season too.
              that should hopefully help the new coach and team get off on the right foot. Where is the schedule for next season?
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Are you serious?

Comment

Considering that I deal with many Sports Information people on a regular basis, from the GLIAC and from college hockey, generally 15-20 schools per year, and have dealt with every school in the WCHA and CCHA and 8-10 others over the years, yes, MTU does a very good job. I have never had a problem with the info that I get from Tech and if more is needed, a phone call or an email is all it takes. I've done it for many years, going back to the time when Dennis Hanks headed the department and through the Dave Fischer era to now. Tech is easily among the tops in the GLIAC. Ferris is another that is very good. Of course their SID came from...Tech. NMU is doing some very good things as well. And the guy working there came from...Tech.

Now when you talk WCHA hockey, and compare info, websites, available content, you have to remember that in the WCHA you have Big Ten programs and budgets at Wisconsin and Minnesota. You have bigger money programs at North Dakota, CC and Denver. Those schools have much bigger staffs and much bigger budgets than does Tech.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                    Fire Ian.
                    I'd start with this as well.

Comment

The first thing I would do is get rid of anybody with an attitude like yours; that things can't improve within the current budget. Text on top of a picture; yes they're doing a great job. Flashy's site is far more professional than Tech's and I can guarantee his staff and budget is much smaller than MTU's. And you have no idea how big North Dakotas, Denvers, and CC's budget and staff are compared to MTU's.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/V...&Q_SEASON=2010
                      Last edited by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS; 03-30-2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

The first thing I would do is get rid of anybody with an attitude like yours; that things can't improve within the current budget. Text on top of a picture; yes they're doing a great job. Flashy's site is far more professional than Tech's and I can guarantee his staff and budget is much smaller than MTU's. And you have no idea how big North Dakotas, Denvers, and CC's budget and staff are compared to MTU's.

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/V...&Q_SEASON=2010
                        Really JSR? First, I never said things couldn't improve. I said that Tech does a very good job. Especially when compared to other similar schools. No idea how Denver and Tech compare staff and budget wise? Guess my time in both those press boxes and dealing with both those programs would give me no clue.
                        Last edited by davyd83; 03-30-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Really JSR? First, I never said things couldn't improve. I said that Tech does a very good job. Especially when compared to other similar schools. No idea how Denver and Tech compare staff and budget wise? Guess my time in both those press boxes and dealing with both those programs would give me no clue. So how many PR or Sports Information departments have you dealt with? Seen operating from the inside? Talk to any AD's, GM's or SID's about their operation? Ever put a budget together for such an operation?
                          You implied it. So what are the current budgets and staff for all four schools?

Comment

You implied it. So what are the current budgets and staff for all four schools?
                            No, I did not imply it. I asked how do you propose to make these changes and improvements within the current budget? No implication at all, simply asking a question.

North Dakota has five full timers on staff. Tech has two, and Tech's SID also heads the marketing as well. UND's does not. Denver has 7, including a web manager. CC has two full timers strictly handling sports info, but they have a separate three person marketing department. Total, they outnumber Tech 5-3.

And by the way, Flash's site is excellent, one of the better fan sites around college hockey. Love the 75 Championship Game. Zuke, Lyle, Jensen, Lorimer...great names that bring back alot of great Tech hockey memories.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 03-30-2011, 11:32 PM.

Comment

No, I did not imply it. I asked how do you propose to make these changes and improvements within the current budget? No implication at all, simply asking a question.

North Dakota has five full timers on staff. Tech has two, and Tech's SID also heads the marketing as well. UND's does not. Denver has 7, including a web manager. CC has two full timers strictly handling sports info, but they have a separate three person marketing department. Total, they outnumber Tech 5-3.
                              Budget?

Comment

And Cary Eades, assistant UND coach, directly quoted when asked if he would be interested in coaching Tech: "Raise your pay scale. I made more than Jamie last year."

So I would ask about the budget issue, also. I've heard "money is not an issue," but what is the limit? Is there a limit? To the former, I don't know. To the latter, I'm guessing that MTU will still not be on par with the UNDs and MNs of the college hockey world. They can't afford it.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X