This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Off Season 2011

Heading for Nashville next week - what should I see?
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
      Heading for Nashville next week - what should I see?
      in my opinion, the best thing about Nashville is that every bar has great performers. you do not have to go to the Grand Ole Opry to hear fantastic musicians and performers. the people singing in the bars on "main street' are all excellent (and I am not a country music fan).
      walk down the street... every bar will have an open front and you can hear everyone... the performers are from all over the US and Canada and are all there to be discovered.

the food for the most part is not good. I was fooled into thinking that they would have great bar b que... they don't

the BEST food I would recommend is Monells on 1235 6th Avenue North, Nashville
      it is family style and a few of the things they serve are NOTHING like anything I have ever seen in New England... there is a pudding glop that is fantastic.... I think it is called corn pudding... it is a side, like mashed potatos.

and if you are into Bluegrass, the Station Inn has great performers all the time.

last... and as unbelievable as this sounds, you have to see the restrooms in the Hermitage Hotel.
      they are historic places and the art deco in the men's room is pretty amazing (Historic Nashville Hotel Wins 7th Annual “Cintas America's Best Restroom Award” ...
      http://www.thehermitagehotel.com/sit...il.aspx?cid=95)

during prohibition, there was a tunnell from the state house into the men's room which was connected to a speakeasy.

the women's room is equally amazing, but you gotta have balls to get in there if you well...heh heh heh, have balls

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
        did whitehead step down today ??
        I'm sure he will on April 1st.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Didn't see this scenario posted anywhere... Here is how Maine would finish 13th. 4 Northeastern over 1 BC, 3 Cornell over 2 Dartmouth, and 5 Alaska-Anchorage over 4 Colorado College are the only upsets. BC would finish third, UNH 8th, Merrimack 10th, Maine 13th, and BU on the outside at 17th. This seems to be the most likely scenario based on the others I have seen.

Atlantic Hockey
          Semifinal #2: 2 Air Force defeats 3 Holy Cross
          Semifinal #1: 1 RIT defeats 4 Connecticut
          Championship game: 1 RIT defeats 2 Air Force

CCHA
          Semifinal #2: 2 Notre Dame defeats 3 Miami
          Semifinal #1: 1 Michigan defeats 4 Western Michigan
          Championship game: 1 Michigan defeats 2 Notre Dame
          Consolation game: 3 Miami defeats 4 Western Michigan

ECAC
          Semifinal #2: 3 Cornell defeats 2 Dartmouth
          Semifinal #1: 1 Yale defeats 4 Colgate
          Championship game: 1 Yale defeats 3 Cornell
          Consolation game: 2 Dartmouth defeats 4 Colgate

Hockey East
          Semifinal #2: 2 New Hampshire defeats 3 Merrimack
          Semifinal #1: 4 Northeastern defeats 1 Boston College
          Championship game: 2 New Hampshire defeats 4 Northeastern

WCHA
          Play-in #2: 3 Minnesota-Duluth defeats 6 Bemidji State
          Play-in #1: 5 Alaska-Anchorage defeats 4 Colorado College
          Semifinal #2: 2 Denver defeats 3 Minnesota-Duluth
          Semifinal #1: 1 North Dakota defeats 5 Alaska-Anchorage
          Championship game: 1 North Dakota defeats 2 Denver
          Last edited by nicholasb711; 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Larry speaks out.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/15/sports/it%e2%80%99s-time-for-whitehead-to-silence-his-critics/

Kinda halfhearted and wishy washy, but at least he did something.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Larry speaks out.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/15/sports/it%e2%80%99s-time-for-whitehead-to-silence-his-critics/

Kinda halfhearted and wishy washy, but at least he did something.
              great minds...

I think that when he was called out for speaking ill of timmy behind his back, but extolling his virtues in person, he felt a "need" to come out of his apologist closet.

Comment

Seems the BDN's Larry Mahoney thinks Orono's location is a negative as well:

"His detractors say he isn’t fiery enough or charismatic enough to lure top-notch recruits to geographically-challenged Orono and to get the most out of his players."

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                  great minds...

I think that when he was called out for speaking ill of timmy behind his back, but extolling his virtues in person, he felt a "need" to come out of his apologist closet.
                  What did he say behind TIMMAY's back? That he thought they'd lose the series to Merrimack?

Comment

Would have been a great story for Larry to write LAST YEAR. 2009-10 was the season for Tim to silence his critics for good, and part of me even had some faith that he would. He failed. Miserably. End of story.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

you are thinking like a merrimack college fan of 2007.
                      Actually, more like a fan of Merrimack College of 1997 or perhaps even 1987, if we're picking years.

MOST Maine season ticket holders pay $500 PER seat, to have the right to buy their $300 season ticket.
                      That must explain it. I assume the Maine athletics department must have been guaranteeing wins at all home games on the backs of the tickets. I suppose in the Walsh era that was a really safe bet, but perhaps from now on they ought to stress that a season ticket only confers the right to watch a game, not the right to watch a victory.

MC has HOW MANY members of its blueline club?
                      I have no idea. Is that relevant to something? Does Whitehead get to keep, or lose, his job based on that comparison? That seems an even odder metric to use.

maine has [had] HUNDREDS in its different levels of boosters.
                      Maine had, up until about 2 years ago, HUNDREDS if not thousands of fans at most away games... I have, many times, sat with MC fans at the Volpe and I was one of about 12! (maybe exaggerating a little) you guys do not even go to Lowell in numbers, never mind up to Maine or UVM.
                      Again, all true.. and Maine has a student body more than five times as large as Merrimack's, and an even bigger alumni base given their longer history, so we're not talking about hockey here as much as we are about demographics.

Maine fans are not like MOST other fans, so please don't tell us that a .600 record is respectable, it is not... just like Alabama football fans would not accept a coach that kept delivering 8-4 seasons
                      Every fan of a program thinks they are different from other fans, and their program is different from other programs. Being spoiled by success is not a unique experience-- just an above average one.

All you're really displaying here is the same thing displayed by the BU fans dismayed with Parker-- that they are so spoiled by years of winning that they have lost all sense of proportion, and they want a return to the status quo they remember-- the days when there was a clear demarcation between the good teams (which includes theirs, of course) and everybody else, with different standards of performance for each, and no motion whatsoever between the two groups.

Every program goes through down cycles and up cycles. Some trend more towards one than the other, but sometimes they move from trending low to trending high. Since collegiate athletics is essentially a zero sum game-- for every winner there is a loser-- the only way that Maine can ALWAYS perform to fan expectations and BU can ALWAYS perform to fan expectations and for BC, Michigan, NoDak, UNH, and all the other elite teams to meet their expectations, is for all the other programs to continue to lose and fail. Sometimes, some of those programs are going to succeed once in awhile, and sometimes they might succeed just a bit more often than that, and attempt to move towards that "elite" group. In order for that to happen, some programs-- sometimes-- are going to be on the outside looking in, participating in the NCAAs instead of winning them, playing in the playoffs on the road instead of at home, waiting at home to see what the PWR says when all is said and done instead of controlling their own destiny. It's the nature of things. Change and uncertainty are part of the game, part of the sport. If all the fans of elite teams actually got everything they wished for, there'd be no reason to play the games, no reason to celebrate wins, because wins are only enjoyable in opposition to losses which are not. It is Merrimack's past losses, as much as the performance of the team on the ice now, that made this season's quarterfinal series so enjoyable, and why the Merrimack crowd was pumped while at least two of the other series seemed to be pretty humdrum affairs.

Is it really anything to brag about that Maine fans are saying that their team could do better than others, but they'd enjoy it less? What's the point of that? Is the league giving out some High Fan Expectations award I don't know about?

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll
                        in other words you already know it all, so there is really no point in telling you anything.
                        That's hilarious from a guy whose nickname is KnowItAll. I notice how you don't actually respond to anything I've written at all, you've just dismissed it with a wave of the hand, and brought up a lot of unrelated things. Maybe a more appropriate nick would be the Great Karnak-- knows all, says nothing?

you are not able to learn... I am sure this is not the first time anyone has ever told you that.... in about 30 or so years, I bet you will come to understand that
                        Not able to learn what? In 30 years? I think I'd better start learning now, because in 30 years I'll most likely be retired, if not senile, so it might well be too late by then.

I'm willing to learn if you're willing to teach. I wouldn't mind seeing some credentials, though, before we start.

Comment

Guys,this is the crux of the matter,IMO:

A.)Tim (as opposed to the hockey coach at a private school) is a de-facto employee of the State of Maine's taxpayers.

B.)Apparently,a majority of his bosses consider him to be doing a poor job...

C.)Therefore,they think he should be dismissed.

Pretty simple stuff,really.

Comment

I said quite a bit and you ignored everything I said.
                            you do not understand why a team has boosters, you do not understand why a team's fan base is willing to pay a lot for a ticket... I tried saying things, assuming that because you are able to write, that you might be able to infer, but you are not... you are either daft or need things spelled out for you... I am not pis5ing in this "contest"... as I said, you already know it all...
                            Ticket prices and booster clubs weren't really the topic of the conversation, though. The topic was judging the performance of the on-ice product, with an eye to evaluating the team's coach, in terms of how credit or fault is apportioned, and whether absolute or relative measures of performance are more appropriate. None of which have anything to do with your assertions, which amounted to "season tickets are expensive" and "Maine has more fans than Merrimack". Neither of those are relevant.

and apparently Kazakhstan does not have irony or you might have understood, without a need to comment on the "knowitall thing"
                            Kazakhstan may not have had any native irony, which is why I made sure to pack some. Copper, uranium, titanium, oil and gas... no, not so much irony.

last.... a wise person can learn from anyone.. credentials or none... (that said, i have a hell of a lot more credentials and degrees than English at Merrimack and Journalism at Syracuse... those get you the "right" to ask if I "would like fries with that"... but I do not go by my credentials, I stand by what I wrote... that there is no point in telling you anything)
                            It's very convenient that alleging that there's no point in telling me anything absolves you from the responsibility of telling me anything. It's doubly convenient that you haven't actually told me anything except that Maine season tickets are expensive, and they have a lot of fans. I think everyone here already knew those two things; I probably learned them a long time ago, during a visit to Alfond.

It's triply convenient that you research some of my credentials, while casting aspersions on them which are without basis in fact; I haven't worked in any service industry since before graduation, and never in food service-- which is meant as no offense to any who have or do. I think it would be ignorant and ill-mannered to suggest that someone engaged in such work could not be a good fan of hockey or a student of the game, capable of rendering an informed opinion about whether someone's performance as coach is adequate or not.

I will also stand by what I wrote, which boils down to:

1) Calls for Whitehead to be removed are less justified than calls for MacDonald or Army, but more valid than calls to remove Parker

2) An evaluation that assigns credit for all success to the players, assistant coaches, and previous head and assistant coaches while assigning all blame to Whitehead is not a fair and objective evaluation, no matter how many boosters make it, nor how many aggregate dollars they pay for their season tickets.

3) While replacing Whitehead may be justified, the attitude that his performance to date is somehow unacceptably poor for Maine specifically is a scurrilous and backhanded attempt to denigrate other institutions in the league, and an indication that Maine's past success has made a few of their fans jaded and entitled, which endears them to no one.

Want fries with that? I could use some, it's almost lunchtime...

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              B.)Apparently,a majority of his bosses consider him to be doing a poor job...
                              I suppose that could be true, but I'd tend to consider this particular forum, at least, to be a vocal minority, and not a majority of the citizens of Maine, most of which I'd suspect probably aren't even aware of the issue, much less have an opinion on it.

I could easily be wrong about that, but I suppose that begs the question of why, if the situation is so clear and obvious, the University is not aware of it and not yet been compelled to act?

I'm honestly not defending the guy-- more the idea that a coach with his record needs to be fired because he's the only obstacle standing in the way of a supposedly superior team, which I think is false. The quickest way to prove it, I guess, would for Maine to replace Whitehead, as soon as practical, and then see how long it takes for results to improve significantly. I'm guessing it's no less than a full recruiting cycle, perhaps more. I think it's doubly hard for Maine, not because they are so bad, but because they are so good. If you only win a few games and miss the playoffs, then just about anything positive that happens is marked improvement. In this case, the Black Bears missed home ice by two points and failed to advance, but I get the sense that winning home ice and advancing to the Garden wouldn't satisfy many of those who want Whitehead replaced. I've read some comments that indicate that even league championships or frozen four appearances alone wouldn't redeem him.

What realistic performance goals would be set for a replacement within the next 4-6 seasons? If such a replacement failed to meet those goals, should they also be terminated?

If Whitehead achieved those goals, would fans change their opinion about him, or not?

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                                It's very convenient that alleging that there's no point in telling me anything absolves you from the responsibility of telling me anything. It's doubly convenient that you haven't actually told me anything except that Maine season tickets are expensive, and they have a lot of fans. ...
                                I will spell it out for you in terms related to one of your trolling posts.
                                YES, we do expect and were promised better than what we have seen
                                We, unlike you, know what a coach can bring to the table, and we know that when certain things happen, it is the coach's fault, and nobody elses. (certain things)

He begs for cash to go out and recruit the best, to give the people of Maine a championship calibre team (go look at the website, and then look at Northeastern's and merrimack's... do you see any "promises"

Dennehy approached me for a lot of cashola... sponsor a jersey, sponsor a seatback, be a member of this and that... "because I am building a contender"

Tim made those claims, Mark made those claims...
                                do you really not get that?

as for not working in a service position... I know... "freelance consultant" means that you are not even asking if I would like fries... but you live only blocks from McDonald's and I know that Shawsheen Sunoco is hiring.

see, Zippy, not only do I know college hockey, I KNOW IT ALL

Comment

Working...
                                X