Spartan Hockey takes a vacation; turns a page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartan Hockey takes a vacation; turns a page

Now that MSU has for the 4th straight year got an early jump on those post-season workouts, what's the speculation about who will end up where next year?
    What'r the chances of us seeing Perlini in one of our Nike uniforms in October? Or Grant?
    What current and future Spartans will hear their names called by Bettman and his retinue in June?
    Transfers, Transfers anyone?
    Recruit defections?
    And will MSU hire a legend, a wunderkind, or a Miller?
    Will the 2 spare propane-powered Zambonis be finally auctioned off?
    Last edited by owslachief; 03-06-2011, 10:46 PM.

Re: Spartan Hockey takes a vacation; turns a page

god do I hope we don't lose anybody. I am actually confident in what our returning roster can do next year and there isn't anybody right now that I think would benefit from jumping to the NHL.

But i hope they make an announcement about the new coach before too long. I certainly hope they aren't waiting 'til after basketball is all done to take care of this coaching search. I have heard absolutely nothing besides Danton Cole being the obvious candidate. No interviews, no poking around by Hollis. Nothing.

Comment

I've said this a few times before, and it's worth saying again: I'd bet the funds currently in my savings account (all $0.07) that Hollis hires Danton Cole. He has Michigan State connections, which seems to be a primary factor in this hiring process, and he'll be dirt cheap compared to anybody else MSU could take a run it. I'd still like for us to take a run at somebody else, like Newell Brown, but I just don't see that happening. I wouldn't be surprised if the ink's already dry on Cole's new contract and it's in the process of being FedEx'd back to Hollis' office as I type this.

I actually feel pretty safe about Grant and Perlini staying, but I think that decision will weigh heavily on who Hollis hires to replace Comley and whether that individual can endear himself to the current team. If he can't, we'll see many transfers.

Next year is a do-or-die situation for Michigan State hockey, which is why I believe it's so important to not mess up this hire. I still believe there's plenty of talent on this team to make a tournament run next season, and frankly, MSU needs a good season next year to salvage whatever's left of the next two recruiting classes. I believe the individual coaching this team next season could find early success, but could very well run into trouble in the second and third year of his tenure. Again, for the future trajectory of MSU hockey, to rebuild the upcoming recruiting classes, for this program to become some degree of a superpower again, Hollis must get this hire right.

As for our new Zamboni, it's too plain. Why not paint it that new shade of green and install one of those seats for the little kids?
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Brett Perlini went cold for awhile, and the team went cold with him. At the end it was too little too late. And unless whatever team Derek Grant belongs to needs a set-up guy, he ain't going anywhere either.
        Will Yanakeff and Torey Krug are draft-eligible this year. Hard to say with Yanny, but I see a team like NJ taking a chance on Torey.
        As for coaching, MSU needs someone young and energetic, someone like BG's Bergeron or WMU's Blashill. Look what Western has been able to do, and look what BG pulled off against NMU. Get Danton Cole because he can do the job, not because he's cheap. Most importantly, get the right person - no matter the money.
        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

As of now Perlini's the most complete package, and his departure would cause the most damage. Enough of that though; let's keep it positive

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
            I've said this a few times before, and it's worth saying again: I'd bet the funds currently in my savings account (all $0.07) that Hollis hires Danton Cole. He has Michigan State connections, which seems to be a primary factor in this hiring process, and he'll be dirt cheap compared to anybody else MSU could take a run it. I'd still like for us to take a run at somebody else, like Newell Brown, but I just don't see that happening. I wouldn't be surprised if the ink's already dry on Cole's new contract and it's in the process of being FedEx'd back to Hollis' office as I type this.
            You know my view on this - why rush to hire Danton Cole?! Realistically, Cole is not a candidate for any other coaching position. He's a fallback option and is in the running at MSU because he played there. But we can talk with every D-I coach, make numerous offers only to get publicly rejected, and Cole will still be available. For the sake of MSU hockey, I hope we're talking with a number of current D-I coaches. I hope we at least talk with Brown. Make the call to a Gwozdecky, even just to hear him officially say "no." But State hockey supporters should be very unhappy with Hollis and this search process if, as you say, the deal with Cole is done because he's a Spartan, he's cheap, and he's available.

This is a big hire, and one that State desperately needs to get right. Rushing to make a hire is not what is needed. A full and exhaustive search that unearths everyone interested and explores any and all possiblities is the job of the AD in this process. If that ends in Cole's hiring, fantastic, and best of luck to him. But you rush a process to hire Blasi, Jeff Jackson, or George Gwozdecky. Not a Danton Cole..........
            An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind...

Comment

There are good arguments for both Brown and Cole and I think both should be at the short list. Brown's 5 years older, so if you're concerned about that I suppose that should be a consideration.

Comment

I don't think we'll see a coaching announcement as long as who is coming has a team currently in play. It would be inappropriate to announce a coach is leaving while his team is playing, but then again......

I don't think anyone will leave this year, which is the king of irony in that Comley's biggest nemisis was players leaving early, and there may be nobody leaving early this year... HOWEVER, remember that regardless of what we as fans think of a player's capablilities in the pros, there are MANY reasons for a player to go early. Sometimes a team that wants them in the future will move them to their programs for further development, OR to keep them in their system rather than lose them to free-agency. I still would be surprised if anyone leaves early.... Krug or Will getting drafted would be great. Is Krug really eligible this year? I would have thought his eligibility would have ended a year ago.
                "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                  Is Krug really eligible this year? I would have thought his eligibility would have ended a year ago.
                  Correct - Krug turns 20 in April.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                    I don't think we'll see a coaching announcement as long as who is coming has a team currently in play. It would be inappropriate to announce a coach is leaving while his team is playing, but then again......

I don't think anyone will leave this year, which is the king of irony in that Comley's biggest nemisis was players leaving early, and there may be nobody leaving early this year...
                    Maybe he was one of the reasons to leave.

Enough of that. Let's move forward into the sunshine of a bright future.
                    Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Moving forward it is! The team is on the long trek back to EL, and will get to take a break for spring like the other students. Perhaps when they get back some sort of direction will be in place for them to prepare for next season. This group of players is capable of going all the way, let's keep talking about who is going to take them there. I'm still throwing out Hastings and Guetzel for my top picks.
                      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

*****http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Boards/592/19592/72147.jpg******

Looks snazzy (for a bad photoshop effort), doesn't it? I really miss the old script logo.
                        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                        66 - 86 - 07
                        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I was watching a MN Wild game the other night, and they have a throw-back jersey with Minnesota in script, and it looked good. The script logo was the best, and it will be missed.

Comment

I like what I think are the Wild's third sweaters, the green ones. Please, dear God, make the Christmas tree ones go bye-bye ...
                            "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                            - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
                              I like what I think are the Wild's third sweaters, the green ones. Please, dear God, make the Christmas tree ones go bye-bye ...
                              I'm in agreement there... UGLY...

Comment

Working...
                              X