PDA

View Full Version : UML Offseason Begins

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35

boblav1
09-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Spoke with a couple of kids in the UML Student Government over the weekend, and according to them the plans to move all UML sports to D1 are definitely in process.
If they can make it work why not. They have the facilities (Tsongas, LeLacheur) already in place.

America East seems like an option. They currently have 9 members (Albany. Binghamton, BU, Hartford, Maine, UMBC, UNH, Stony Brook, UVM). Fairfield is an associate member for field hockey and Providence is one for volleyball. They offer 20 sports, but most schools do not participate in all of them. For example, only 6 schools play baseball and field hockey. Basketball and soccer appear to be the sports that get full participation from the members.

http://www.americaeast.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14000&ATCLID=669426

UMLFan
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
If they can make it work why not. They have the facilities (Tsongas, LeLacheur) already in place.

America East seems like an option. They currently have 9 members (Albany. Binghamton, BU, Hartford, Maine, UMBC, UNH, Stony Brook, UVM). Fairfield is an associate member for field hockey and Providence is one for volleyball. They offer 20 sports, but most schools do not participate in all of them. For example, only 6 schools play baseball and field hockey. Basketball and soccer appear to be the sports that get full participation from the members.

http://www.americaeast.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14000&ATCLID=669426
There's been talk about America East and Lowell for a long time.

jrobes01
09-20-2011, 11:52 AM

Lowell certainly seems to fit best in AE. I think that basketball would continue to play the majority of their games at Costello and have 4-5 marquee matchup at the Tsongas, similar to what BU does with Case and Agganis. Filling Costello is a realistic goal, getting 3,500 at the Tsongas for basketball would be tremendous but still would barely fill half the arena. The men's team has been very successful under Herenda, making the NCAAs each year he's been here I believe. The women's team has a new coach who by all accounts, seems to be a very good recruiter and knows her stuff.

LeLacheur is better than most Division 1 ballparks, nevermind D2. The park makes recruiting fairly easy and a jump up to D1 would bring in even more Leathersich-type players.

Field hockey has shown itself to be almost above D1 and would probably transition to America East quite nicely.

Those are the only sports I regularly follow outside of hockey so I won't comment on the others, but I'm sure that they could be brought up to par with the rest of America East in a 5 year (or less) timeframe.

UMLFan
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Lowell certainly seems to fit best in AE. I think that basketball would continue to play the majority of their games at Costello and have 4-5 marquee matchup at the Tsongas, similar to what BU does with Case and Agganis. Filling Costello is a realistic goal, getting 3,500 at the Tsongas for basketball would be tremendous but still would barely fill half the arena. The men's team has been very successful under Herenda, making the NCAAs each year he's been here I believe. The women's team has a new coach who by all accounts, seems to be a very good recruiter and knows her stuff.

LeLacheur is better than most Division 1 ballparks, nevermind D2. The park makes recruiting fairly easy and a jump up to D1 would bring in even more Leathersich-type players.

Field hockey has shown itself to be almost above D1 and would probably transition to America East quite nicely.

Those are the only sports I regularly follow outside of hockey so I won't comment on the others, but I'm sure that they could be brought up to par with the rest of America East in a 5 year (or less) timeframe.You did a very good job of breaking this down. I think they'd have to use Tsongas for basketball though. The theory being that you'd now be able to compete for a higher level player, and playing at the Tsongas is more likely to get the kids to commit than playing at Costello.

Men's soccer would also get a plus with a move, again due to recruiting. Lowell already does a pretty darn good job of getting almost all MA kids into the soccer program, but giving local kids another option at the D1 level for soccer would help.

Field hockey I think would be just fine no matter where, as long as Shannon stays in charge.

Track usually competes against D1 teams in a lot of their meets anyway, and is able to do well. Golf also competes with D1 teams, but AE doesn't have golf as a sport, so not sure what would happen there or to the new rowing team.

Not sure how this would affect volleyball, softball or women's soccer though.

jrobes01
09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
2010-2011 America East Attendance
Binghamton - 3,478 (5,143 CAP)
Vermont - 2,579 (3,266 CAP)
Albany - 2,163 (4,583 CAP)
UMBC - 1,580 (3,824 CAP)
Stony Brook - 1,555 (1,620 CAP)
Maine - 1,445 (5,712 CAP)
Hartford - 1,187 (3,508 CAP)
Boston - 979 (1,800/7,200 CAP)
UNH - 815 (3,000 CAP)

AE CONF - 1,743
AE CONF. TOURNEY - 2,193

Costello is reported as seating 2,100. In terms of capacity, that would put it ahead only in front of BU and Stony Brook. So yeah, it'd be small comparably to its conference mates.

Tsongas probably fits close to 7,000 for basketball and would be the biggest in America East. Having the America East conference average of 1,743 would look like mighty empty in the Tsongas. That type of crowd in Costello though would raise the roof.

UMLFan
09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
2010-2011 America East Attendance
Binghamton - 3,478 (5,143 CAP)
Vermont - 2,579 (3,266 CAP)
Albany - 2,163 (4,583 CAP)
UMBC - 1,580 (3,824 CAP)
Stony Brook - 1,555 (1,620 CAP)
Maine - 1,445 (5,712 CAP)
Hartford - 1,187 (3,508 CAP)
Boston - 979 (1,800/7,200 CAP)
UNH - 815 (3,000 CAP)

AE CONF - 1,743
AE CONF. TOURNEY - 2,193

Costello is reported as seating 2,100. In terms of capacity, that would put it ahead only in front of BU and Stony Brook. So yeah, it'd be small comparably to its conference mates.

Tsongas probably fits close to 7,000 for basketball and would be the biggest in America East. Having the America East conference average of 1,743 would like mighty empty in the Tsongas. That type of crowd in Costello though would raise the roof.Fair point. I just think (personally) that a lot more people would come out to watch the basketball team playing D1 ball as opposed to D2 at Costello.

Hopefully we can find out soon enough! :)

John_Fuller
09-20-2011, 01:23 PM

There's been rumored talk about Lowell going to DI since I was a student. The only difference between then and now is that a. we have the facilities and more importantly, b. the chancellor that wants to and can pull it off.

A lot of the members of the America East conference now were not only D-II schools, but the SUNY's were in Lowell's conference during the mid-1990's and played Lowell many a times in sports; SUNY-ALB, SUNY-BGM, SUNY-Stony Brook, and Baltimore County.

On a separate note for last minute plans for people that are thinking about going to Mankato. There is an airfare war going on as AA, Frontier, and AirTran all have the same fare. Three or more airlines offernig the same fare to a destination is my definition of an airfare war. Fare is $260 and will likely go up dramatically once the 21-day and especially 14-day fares expire on the next two Fridays.

See some of you this week.

Runsub5
09-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Maine is in the same boat as renovations are being completed at the Alfond. I like how they brought the freshmen in early.
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/09/14/sports/umaine-men%E2%80%99s-hockey-players-fired-up-as-they-prepare-for-opener/

Maine started skating at the Alfond yesterday (9/19), on the new ice. The ice will be harder with the new chiller.

goUMLgoBC
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Information about the UConn game. Too bad the Tsongas won't be ready and they'll be playing their first game away from the campus and the arena.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/092111aaa.html

Federal League
09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
I think it would've been cool to go back to the Forum for one game. Oh well.

leswp1
09-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I think it would've been cool to go back to the Forum for one game. Oh well.Well, there still is the exhibition

Federal League
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Well, there still is the exhibition

Didn't realize that. :o

mikeinlowell
09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Is the preview event still on this evening?

UMLFan
09-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Is the preview event still on this evening?Yes it is.

UMLFan
09-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Fun night last night at the STH event. Having the players actually be the servers was a great idea, because it gave the ability for the fans to actually talk to each other. Food was good.

And the fried dough will be back this year!

boblav1
09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
No surprise as Lowell is picked to finish 9th in the HE Coaches Poll.
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres1112/201109/sep27poll.php

ScottK
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
For those of you planning to go to Mankato, here's the ticket info I got from Scott Donnelly:

Their tickets go on-sale Mon, Oct. 3 for the season. They are $16/each and can be purchased online here: http://www.msumavericks.com/sports/2009/9/30/GEN_0930093419.aspx?. He said you’d have no problem buying at the door if you preferred (save on convenience fees, etc.). They will not sell out.

He did say that the team comp tickets will be in Section 100/200 if you wanted to sit near the families and other UML folks.

goUMLgoBC
09-28-2011, 09:48 PM
UML athletic website posted an interview with Riley Wetmore at the Hockey East media day.

http://www.goriverhawks.com/index-main.html

Interview with all of the Hockey East coaches. Bazin starts at the 8:25 point in the video. Wetmore will be wearing the C this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCLGIEGdlTA&feature=related

boblav1
09-28-2011, 10:10 PM
CBS Sports Network will broadcast 8 HE games this season. The Hawks are not involved.
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres1112/201109/sep28cbs.php

Interesting comment by NU's Steve Quailer about the change in the NU coaching staff.

it’s like a “breath of fresh air,” and the players aren’t being forced to be “robots” anymore.

http://www.wrbbsports.com/2011/09/media-day-redux-part-1/

boblav1
09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Fun night last night at the STH event. Having the players actually be the servers was a great idea, because it gave the ability for the fans to actually talk to each other. Food was good.

And the fried dough will be back this year!
I forgot to respond last week. I agree, a very nice event with plenty of food and drink a chance to talk to the players. The only disappointing thing was the lack of ice at the Tsongas. Hopefully things are moving along and everything will be ready for the BC game. Any updates on the progress?