Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #7 Vermont at #2 Univ.New Hampshire HE quarter final

Originally posted by JB View Post
    Depends on which UNH team shows up at the rink. That team from last Friday would have a hard time beating some public high school teams.
    Amen to that.. and the team that played the first 2 2/3 games against UVM should be able to win at home, but if the team that played the last quarter+ of the last UNH/UVM game shows up, we'll be in for a long weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
      Amen to that.. and the team that played the first 2 2/3 games against UVM should be able to win at home, but if the team that played the last quarter+ of the last UNH/UVM game shows up, we'll be in for a long weekend.
      No

Comment

the other Al Stewart hit? Was it Time Passges? I enjoy that album......sorry puckfan2001, but although we might bore you youngun's it's real important to know where this program came from and how proud most of us old-timers are to see what UNH has become....if you were a freshman, even with a scholarship, and you came into the locker room at Snively, you took a right turn.....a left turn meant you headed for the varsity side....which actually had carpet on the floor, but no baseboard heating...so skates were put on top of the lockers to dry out....taking a right meant you had the 2 foot wide rubber mat rolled out around the steel lockers, but no heating system in the room! Sometimes we had hot water for showers.....yea, we may have no NC but we have plenty of heart to have our program year in, year out in the national picture!

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
          the other Al Stewart hit? Was it Time Passges?
          YES!!! You win!! Excellent!!

Comment

the other Al Stewart hit? Was it Time Passges? I enjoy that album......sorry puckfan2001, but although we might bore you youngun's it's real important to know where this program came from and how proud most of us old-timers are to see what UNH has become....if you were a freshman, even with a scholarship, and you came into the locker room at Snively, you took a right turn.....a left turn meant you headed for the varsity side....which actually had carpet on the floor, but no baseboard heating...so skates were put on top of the lockers to dry out....taking a right meant you had the 2 foot wide rubber mat rolled out around the steel lockers, but no heating system in the room! Sometimes we had hot water for showers.....yea, we may have no NC but we have plenty of heart to have our program year in, year out in the national picture!
            Fassinating! What coleur was de plates ovure de lite swiches? Let us no, eh?

Comment

[QUOTE=chickod;5071202]
              Originally posted by snively View Post

Yeah, that was a great time. It was before the days of the underage draft when players would stay at a school for four years to "get an education." At least they tried to present that perception. Now they don't even try to hide the fact that they're only there to play. In fact, one of the reasons why I believe that BU's program has declined relative to BC is that they "promote" that their players "get to the NHL." I believe there are something like five players from the 2009 team in the NHL right now. Three of them would still be at BU. Not an excuse...just reality. I'm not being judgmental, either. It is what it is. No continuity. BC gets players that are borderline NHLers (mostly because they go for the smaller forwards), but they form a cohesive unit and seem to cherish the whole team "concept." Just a difference in philosophy. And maybe it stems from the fact that in the 70s and 80s the Western teams would just beat us up. We didn't win from 1978 to 1995 and I think that's when the philosoph changed to "let's get some bigger, tougher players." BC stayed the course and went with the small, quick teams. As the game evolved and the rules changed to promote more skating and less holding and grabbing, it looks as though BC's gamble worked. But yes, we are spoiled. I'll be the first to admit. When you've won five National Championships, the expectations are higher, and it must be obnoxious to hear BU fans complain when you guys would give almost anything to win once. And it's harder now, because there are way more teams (of course, there are more good players also). But personally, as far as BU is concerned, I think they're going down the wrong road. I don't want to say that we were "lucky" (because you always need luck) to win, because that team in 2009 had GREAT leadership from within - but the reality is that we haven't really been competitive in almost twenty years. I would much rather watch BC and/or UNH. They "headman" the puck (as they used to say) - it reminds me of the old Canadiens with Cornoyer, Richard, LaFleur, etc who would just throw it ahead to open ice and watch their guys collect it. Man, was that fun to watch. Up and down the ice at breakneck speed. None of this trapping, "possession" game which puts me to sleep. But I'm getting off on a tangent, here. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to a BU/UNH matchup next weekend. And if we don't win, I'll be rooting for UNH to go all the way.
              as i said, you should post more because this is a superb post............didn't mean to break into the conversation but had to comment

Comment

[QUOTE=chickod;5071202]
                Originally posted by snively View Post
                it reminds me of the old Canadiens with Cornoyer, Richard, LaFleur, etc who would just throw it ahead to open ice and watch their guys collect it. Man, was that fun to watch. Up and down the ice at breakneck speed. None of this trapping, "possession" game which puts me to sleep.
                Bingo!

Comment

yes Lumer did put a slapper off Mike Mastrullo's skate(Brown) in order for us to go onto the Garden ....of course, we believed it was the second arrow we shot into snively's celing, to counteract the one put there in 72, the last year UNH had gone to the Garden!
                  Had forgotten those arrows

Comment

And we loved ya'. Maybe you could tell that from those lines outside the building at 3 pm for a 7pm start. With open seating and bench seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                      Fassinating! What coleur was de plates ovure de lite swiches? Let us no, eh?
                      Lot of time on your hands?

How many UNH fans are on the BC thread, trying to come up with self-amusing things to say? Just curious.
                      Last edited by snively; 03-09-2011, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the thread drift, unhpuckfan2001 and "Rabbit," but great posts, chickod and snively. Chickod, Snively arena was the absolute wildest whenever BU came to Durham in the late 60s and early 70s. We hardly ever won, but usually we gave the Terriers a great game. Based on fan crazyness, I thought that the BU rivalry was the most intense of all of our opponents. I still remember names like Herb Wakabayashi (sp?), Ron Anderson, Paul O'Neil, Bob Gryp, John Danby, Bob Brown, Steve Stirling, Tim Regan, Ed Walsh, and of course, BU's coach at that time, Jack Kelley. I do not think that our more recent rivalries with BC, Maine, and UVM compare, in part because the Whitt is simply not as noisy as Snively was, or Walter Brown for that matter. After games for some of those few years when the drinking age was 18, we would be in the Down Under Pub on Main Street until closing, along with some of our hockey players. Hmmm, hope that those were Saturday night games, and not Friday nights on a two-game weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Sorry for the thread drift, unhpuckfan2001 and "Rabbit," but great posts, chickod and snively. Chickod, Snively arena was the absolute wildest whenever BU came to Durham in the late 60s and early 70s. We hardly ever won, but usually we gave the Terriers a great game. Based on fan crazyness, I thought that the BU rivalry was the most intense of all of our opponents. I still remember names like Herb Wakabayashi (sp?), Ron Anderson, Paul O'Neil, Bob Gryp, John Danby, Bob Brown, Steve Stirling, Tim Regan, Ed Walsh, and of course, BU's coach at that time, Jack Kelley. I do not think that our more recent rivalries with BC, Maine, and UVM compare, in part because the Whitt is simply not as noisy as Snively was, or Walter Brown for that matter. After games for some of those few years when the drinking age was 18, we would be in the Down Under Pub on Main Street until closing, along with some of our hockey players. Hmmm, hope that those were Saturday night games, and not Friday nights on a two-game weekend.
                          I remember the BU rivalry as being intense as well. And what about lining up at the door at about 3 p.m. on game days? And not having a voice left after each and every one? Man, I do remember those days, but in more of a generic sense -- I wish I had the specific memories of Snively (i.e. Richard, not the arena -- I do remember the arena very well) and others here, but my decidedly limited brain capacity has tossed out a lot of those to make room for other, more recent events that I also can't remember. (Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Ahhh, Snively in the 70's... what good times they were. Pull up a chair, and we'll tell you all about them. Hey, where did everybody go?")

I must admit, I took UNH hockey MUCH more seriously than I took my coursework in those days.
                          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                            I must admit, I took UNH hockey MUCH more seriously than I took my coursework in those days.
                            is that not encouraged? i was really hoping there would be a use for all this college hockey nonsense i've crammed in my head...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              I just have to chime in here. One of the greatest nights of hockey I have ever been at was the old ECAC Tourney at the Gahden in '77. In the first game, UNH finally subdued Cornell with a (I think) Dave Lumley slap shot from just inside the blue line in the 2nd (or was it third?) overtime? I think maybe something like 40 seconds into the third. There was that Cornell guy who used to sit up in the first row of the balcony at every game (this is when we saw Cornell a lot, before the advent of Hockey East) and blow that air horn that was about six feet long. Then, in the "nightcap" (who knows how late it was when the 2nd game started), BU was trailing Clarkson (with Dave Taylor) 5-3 with less than five minutes to go, when they scored three straight goals (the last one by Dave Silk, I believe) to win, 6-5. Just incredible electricity in the building, and, of course, there was NOTHING like a raucous crowd at the old Gahden (I don't care what they say about TD that there's not as much noise because the fans don't have anything to cheer about - baloney - it's the building - I was in Matthews last Friday and the place was 1/3 full and louded than Agganis EVER is). The acoustics were terrible (or great, depending upon your point of view) and the noise was deafening!! UNH had thousands of fans there and the place just went beserk when they scored that goal. It still gives me chills thinking about it!
                              Man, so the whole "BU games being delayed by UNH games going to OT" has some history behind it. And here I thought it was a recent phenomenon!

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                              I was four.
                              For all three years he's referencing? Just because you're held back, it doesn't mean you stay the same age.
                              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                              -Fred Shero

Comment

(Perhaps this thread should be renamed "Ahhh, Snively in the 70's... what good times they were. Pull up a chair, and we'll tell you all about them. Hey, where did everybody go?")
                                Fair enough. But it's not often you get posts from the players themselves, recalling both events and their thoughts during historic games.

And your point would be? You graduated, didn't you?

Has anyone ever asked you your GPA? Is there a thread about it?

Comment

Working...
                                X