Conference playoffs scary teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference playoffs scary teams

Which teams do you want to play least in your conference playoffs? Is it a team that has under achieved throughout the year and is only now finally starting to turn it around? Were they flying high only to have an injury to a key player, and they are finally getting back? Or are they just that one team, your team can never seem to beat when it matters?

In the WCHA, I think that team is St. Cloud. Pick by many as a preseason top 5 and fighting with UND to win the league. They were probably one of the worst teams in the country the first half of the season. With the return of Eddy, a key freshman last year, and 2 trouble makers kicked off the team, things looked to have changed. Since the mid-season break they are 9-4-3 with improbable 8-2 and 7-3 wins over tUMD and UW. The huskies are desperate as they will most likely need to win the league title to make the NCAA's. Or is there another team that scares you in the WCHA playoffs?

Who is that team in the HE, CCHA, ECAC and AH?
    Originally posted by Mankato student
    Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
    "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
    -- Peter Klein

Re: Conference playoffs scary teams

In the CCHA, I think the only team to be scared of is Western Michigan, but they are a bubble team right now that may very well find the tourney as an at large. Ferris/Alaska do not scare me at all. NMU has had flashes of good this season, but too much of the bad. NMU always finds a way to make it to the Joe, and a few wins there buts them in the NCAAs. Just dont see it happening this year. The CCHA should field three teams, Michigan, Miami and Notre Dame to the NCAAs, with WMU on the bubble.
    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
    2006-2007: 15-24-2
    2007-2008: 20-20-4
    2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

EZAC: It's the same answer as the past couple of years: Any team seeded 11 or 12.

Comment

Many at RIT are scared to death of Niagara. They have never beaten them in the DI era and hard a hard time in the DIII days. They have not 1, but 2 legit contenders for conference player of the year. They are iinconsistant, so they could win it all or could flame out in the first round against Canisius.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by ts8801 View Post
          Or is there another team that scares you in the WCHA playoffs?
          Yeah, UMD
          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

IMO, there are a few "scary" teams that I wouldn't want to face...

In the WCHA, I don't think anyone wants to play SCSU. They have been playing very well of late, and are talented enough to upset anyone. Minnesota is also a team that seems to have found its game. Now, they've been some mediocre teams, but they still look capable of taking anyone down. What is also interesting is that these two teams could play each other in the WCHA playoffs.

In the CCHA, I think Miami is probably the team to beat. They've also been playing very well, and seem to be peaking at the right time. I also think that Alaska is talented enough to make a run. I'd also list Michigan, but I think they are on everyone's radar.

In Hockey East, Maine has to be a "scary" team. They are good enough to dominate the best. Unfortunately, consistency has been difficult for Maine though. If they can continue playing their best, they'll be a tough team to play. BU is also has enough talent to win the Hockey East tournament. Saying that, I don't think many people would be surprised if they failed to make it out of the first round.

In Atlantic Hockey, Robert Morris has had a solid season. They could very well make a run and win their tourney, but I think Atlantic Hockey still runs through RIT and Air Force.

Just my opinion, but that's who I see as being "scary" teams in each of those conferences.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Colgate is scaring everyone in the ECAC right now. They lost a bazillion one goal games this year and finally found their stride during the last six games. Brown is another wildcard, but won't be a surprise because of the run last year.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Yeah, I think pretty much everyone here at RPI is afraid of what might happen this year with Colgate, especially after our failure last year against the similarly-seeded Brown.
                Last edited by lugnut92; 02-28-2011, 10:15 PM.
                RPI Pep Band
                GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Colgate is scaring everyone in the ECAC right now. They lost a bazillion one goal games this year and finally found their stride during the last six games. Brown is another wildcard, but won't be a surprise because of the run last year.
                  I'm no rules expert but that sure seems like that violates the NC$$ cap on games in a season. Did they play in like a couple hundred thousand Alaska tourneys?
                  Life's A Journey, Not A Destination......
                  Steven Tyler

Comment

Harvard in the ECAC. Hot and far more talented that their record indicates.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckincrew View Post
                      I'm no rules expert but that sure seems like that violates the NC$$ cap on games in a season. Did they play in like a couple hundred thousand Alaska tourneys?
                      OK. Eight games , I think
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        Many at RIT are scared to death of Niagara. They have never beaten them in the DI era and hard a hard time in the DIII days. They have not 1, but 2 legit contenders for conference player of the year. They are iinconsistant, so they could win it all or could flame out in the first round against Canisius.
                        Niagara's issue all season has been between the pipes. With consistent goaltending, the Purps have at least six to eight more wins. I think it is coming around ... I just have to hope Campbell or Noonan play well, no softies. As for our skaters in front of either of them, I will take them over any CHA team.
                        GO PURPS!
                        Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Besides the obvious answers:

1. MN
                          2. MN
                          3. MN
                          nth: SCSU

Teams least feared right now? WI. Denver.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            In Atlantic Hockey, Robert Morris has had a solid season. They could very well make a run and win their tourney, but I think Atlantic Hockey still runs through RIT and Air Force.
                            Bobby Mo is a tough one as well. They are a senior laden team that could be looking for their first NCAA bid. They have a really tough road though - first hosting Mercyhurst and then a potential matchup with Niagara at Dwyer.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Vermont.

But only because the games are guaranteed to be as exciting as watching basketball.

Comment

Working...
                              X