Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Conference playoffs scary teams

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    If we're strictly going off of right now, I say Maine is more dangerous than NU. The way I have it unfolding is Maine beats BU in the QFs. NU-Mack would be pretty interesting...

As for the WCHA lovefest, maybe they'll actually win the title for the first time since 2006...
    Northeastern beat Merrimack in December at Lawler 2-1 so nothing is out of the question.
    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
      Or we can look at it...say...1985. WCHA has won 10, Hockey East has won 7.

What's fun, is that the WCHA has won 35 titles in its history, CCHA 8, Hockey East 7, ECAC 7, Independents 5, Tri-State 1.
      Considering Hockey East has only existed for about 25-30 years, I'd say they've done pretty well. I'm not even saying the WCHA isn't the best conference or hasn't been. I guess my point is that Hockey East really hasn't taken a back seat to the WCHA over the past 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
        I know I'm relatively new around here, but shouldn't it be Ylae*?
        correct

Comment

I actually think both Holy Cross and UCONN are dangerous in the AHA. I don't know that either team could win the whole thing, but they are both gritty and could end someone else's thoughts of post season glory. UCONN has shown a bit of toughness this year that they have been missing over the last few years. They came from 3 goals down to beat AIC on the road and lock up a bye. Earlier in the year they gave up two quick goals, including a shorthanded one to UNion and came back to tie it. Did the same on the road at Mainer, scoring late to salvage a tie. They went into Dwyer and played Niagara tough the first night and blew them out the next. the goaltender is solid if not spectacular, and they have a couple of guys who can put the puck in the back of the net. And they are the type of team that isn't necessarily out because it is down. Holy Cross has put together a long unbeaten streak, has a solid goaltender and a couple of scorers. Thery also have some confidence having not lost in over a month. As I say, I agree that neither will be favored, but both are dangerous and could make life miserable for one of the favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Serious question: (in this thread? I KNOW!) Are Genoway and Kristo done for the season? I'd heard they were, but if one or both isn't, yeah, I'd say they're finally somewhat healthy. But if they're both done, I wouldn't label them as such.
            http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/195032

Chay Genoway was the only senior not in the lineup. Genoway is out with a leg injury and expected to return for the playoffs. . . Injured Sioux sophomore Danny Kristo (frostbite) attended both games this weekend.
            Genoway is expected back soon.
            "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Or we can look at it...say...1985. WCHA has won 10, Hockey East has won 7.

What's fun, is that the WCHA has won 35 titles in its history, CCHA 8, Hockey East 7, ECAC 7, Independents 5, Tri-State 1.
              haha I think the comparison of 35-7-8 is foolish to make when one league has been around for 35 and 20 years longer than the others. After all, I believe the breakdown over the last twenty years has been 8-7-6 among the relevant 3, which I think shows a respectable amount of parity at least among the teams that end up winning it all. I also believe that since HE's formation the actual break down of titles has been 9 WCHA, 8 CCHA, 7 HE and 2 EZAC. Pretty decent level of parity, no? I'd say it's hard to say one is clearly up on a pedestal above the others, at least based on the metric of NCs.
              Bay State (Road) Sports: When Someone Parties Like A Puckstar Or Drives Into The T, We'll Be The Ninth or Tenth To Report It

1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

HAA 108 > 118

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSiouxFan View Post
                Genoway is expected back soon.
                First round of the playoffs or the X?
                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Considering Hockey East has only existed for about 25-30 years, I'd say they've done pretty well. I'm not even saying the WCHA isn't the best conference or hasn't been. I guess my point is that Hockey East really hasn't taken a back seat to the WCHA over the past 20 years.
                  I'll agree with you there. Hockey East and the WCHA are 1 and 1a, however you want to order those, over the past 15-20 years. It goes in cycles as well. The WCHA dominated from about 2000-2006, winning 6 titles in 7 years, while Hockey East has dominated the last 3 seasons, winning all three titles. The WCHA has had a ton of different winners (9 different programs), while Hockey East tends to rely on BC, BU and Maine to win their titles. I think that leads a lot of people out here to natually assume that the west is better because of all the different teams that have won titles. As for this season, I think it's pretty even. If you look at the PWR, right now 8 "West" teams (WCHA and CCHA) would make the tournament and 8 "East" teams (HE, ECAC and AH) would make the tourney. At that point, we're lucky we have a tournament to sort out which side is better, or to see if they truly are pretty even.
                  North Dakota
                  National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by felizmiguel View Post
                    haha I think the comparison of 35-7-8 is foolish to make when one league has been around for 35 and 20 years longer than the others. I also believe that since HE's formation the actual break down of titles has been 9 WCHA, 8 CCHA, 7 HE and 2 EZAC. Pretty decent level of parity, no? I'd say it's hard to say one is clearly up on a pedestal above the others, at least based on the metric of NCs.
                    Not that it makes a difference, but the break down is 10-7-7.
                    "My greatest achievement."
                    Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
                      Not that it makes a difference, but the break down is 10-7-7.
                      I'm sure felizmiguel wasn't paying attention to college hockey when Northern Michigan was in the WCHA.

I understand the whole argument about how certain conferences haven't been around along as others. However, the WCHA has won 35 national titles in 58 years as a conference. That's over 60% of the time. Hockey East has won 7 titles in 26 years (a little under 27%), ECAC has won 7 in 50 years (14%) and the CCHA has won 8 titles 39 years (a tad over 20%). To be that successful for that long is very impressive. To put it even more into perspective, Hockey East would have to win 28 of the next 32 titles to get to 60%. The ECAC would have to win the next 58 titles. Historically, the WCHA has been the best conference, and it isn't even close. Saying that, and like I said previously, over the past 20 years or so it's been relatively equal between the WCHA and Hockey East. In the last 20 years, the WCHA has won 8, Hockey East 7 and the CCHA 5.
                      North Dakota

Comment

I'm sure felizmiguel wasn't paying attention to college hockey when Northern Michigan was in the WCHA.

I understand the whole argument about how certain conferences haven't been around along as others. However, the WCHA has won 35 national titles in 58 years as a conference. That's over 60% of the time. Hockey East has won 7 titles in 26 years (a little under 27%), ECAC has won 7 in 50 years (14%) and the CCHA has won 8 titles 39 years (a tad over 20%). To be that successful for that long is very impressive. To put it even more into perspective, Hockey East would have to win 28 of the next 32 titles to get to 60%. The ECAC would have to win the next 58 titles. Historically, the WCHA has been the best conference, and it isn't even close. Saying that, and like I said previously, over the past 20 years or so it's been relatively equal between the WCHA and Hockey East. In the last 20 years, the WCHA has won 8, Hockey East 7 and the CCHA 5.
                        yikes, my bad. guess my cursory amount of research that I put into my findings should have been a little less cursory haha
                        Bay State (Road) Sports: When Someone Parties Like A Puckstar Or Drives Into The T, We'll Be The Ninth or Tenth To Report It

1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

HAA 108 > 118

Comment

How many of those WCHA titles are Michigan's? A lot of this talk is like talking about Notre Dame Football. Historically,yes, they are on a different level but there is little to brag about recently. ND Football and the WCHA=The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be. The playing field has been leveled.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            How many of those WCHA titles are Michigan's? A lot of this talk is like talking about Notre Dame Football. Historically,yes, they are on a different level but there is little to brag about recently. ND Football and the WCHA=The old grey mare, she ain't what she used to be. The playing field has been leveled.
                            None of the 10 are Michigan's.
                            "My greatest achievement."
                            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                              Michigan won 5 titles while a member of the WCHA.
                              Denver has won 7, North Dakota and Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan Tech 3, Colorado College, Northern Michigan and Michigan State 1 each.

The WCHA has won 9 National Championships since Notre Dame won its last in Football.

The only way the WCHA doesn't have anything to brag about is if you define "recently" as the last four years. Someone apparently has forgotten that prior to '07, the WCHA had won 6 out of 7 National Titles.

In the last ten years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                              In the last 15 years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                              In the last 20 years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                              In the last 25 years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                              North Dakota

Comment

Michigan won 5 titles while a member of the WCHA.
                                Denver has won 7, North Dakota and Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan Tech 3, Colorado College, Northern Michigan and Michigan State 1 each.

The WCHA has won 9 National Championships since Notre Dame won its last in Football.

The only way the WCHA doesn't have anything to brag about is if you define "recently" as the last four years. Someone apparently has forgotten that prior to '07, the WCHA had won 6 out of 7 National Titles.

In the last ten years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                                In the last 15 years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                                In the last 20 years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                                In the last 25 years: WCHA has more titles than any other conference
                                not to mention 2005 with the ALL- WCHA frozen four...has any other conference done that?

EDIT: That is the only time it happened at any level, any sport, male or female.
                                Originally posted by Mankato student
                                Are their innings or quarters in this sport?
                                "Bush and Paulson and Greenspan and their clique are “free marketeers” in the same way that Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant."
                                -- Peter Klein

Comment

Working...
                                X