PDA

View Full Version : Rit

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

VermontfaninNY
02-28-2011, 12:15 PM
As someone who is new to the forums here, and young enough to not remember the last few decades of NCAA hockey, I am curious, why does everybody hate RIT?

I thought they went to DI years ago, were they really that bad?

UCBadger
02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Oh, my....where to start? :D

NUProf
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
As someone who is new to the forums here, and young enough to not remember the last few decades of NCAA hockey, I am curious, why does everybody hate RIT?

There were a lot of RIT posters on here - they tended to dominate most of the discussion and, in addition, most of the USCHO DIII staff was affiliated with RIT in some way or another. It was like the Oswego fan base on Miracle Gro.

UCBadger
02-28-2011, 12:23 PM
There were a lot of RIT posters on here - they tended to dominate most of the discussion and, in addition, most of the USCHO DIII staff was affiliated with RIT in some way or another. It was like the Oswego fan base on Miracle Gro.And....they were never wrong. (Just ask them!)

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
02-28-2011, 12:25 PM

hehehe...

A short list of things:
1. Basically every fan of an ECAC-W team is going be upset with RIT for all of their team's great years that were cut short by an even greater RIT team.
2. Basically every fan of an ECAC-W team is going be upset with RIT for leaving to go DI literally JUST as the ECAC-W got enough teams to qualify for Pool A.
3. Many other fans will be upset with RIT for reason #1.
4. RIT was the great choke-artist. Always great, but 1985 was the only time they finished the job. 2001, the National CHampionship Game against Platty was their ONLY loss.
5. Because of all the people upset with RIT for these, and other, reasons, RIT is the easy scapegoat (albeit jokingly) for today's DIII issues, since they're off playing DI and totally unconcerned about Men's DIII Hockey (or Women's DIII Hockey after this year).

There's soooooo much more to this story, however.

CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
There were a lot of RIT posters on here - they tended to dominate most of the discussion and, in addition, most of the USCHO DIII staff was affiliated with RIT in some way or another. It was like the Oswego fan base on Miracle Gro.

Oh, and there's this too... although that was before my time here at USCHO, you can still see some of the same things over on the DI boards today :D

NUProf
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Oh, and there's this too... although that was before my time here at USCHO, you can still see some of the same things over on the DI boards today :D

One reason why I tend to stick to the DIII boards.

Russell Jaslow
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
4. RIT was the great choke-artist. Always great, but 1985 was the only time they finished the job.

They finished the job in 1983 also, albeit when everyone was Division II.

since they're off playing DI and totally unconcerned about Men's DIII Hockey (or Women's DIII Hockey after this year).

It will be a lot longer than after this year for the women.

Dyce
02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
I should probably point out that, along with the Cardsrule's brief mention, several other games have contributed to Plattsburgh's probably being the program with the least reason to hate RIT. Let's see:

1998 - Plattsburgh travels to RIT for the NCAA quarters, splits a two-game series, upsets RIT in the minigame, and is awarded the Final Four.
1999 - Plattsburgh beats RIT 7-4 to win the Cardinal Classic.
2000 - RIT really takes it to the Cards through the first two in a semester-ending game at Stafford, building a 4-1 lead. Plattsburgh wins 5-4 on a shortie.
2001 - The aforementioned near-undefeated season for RIT. The Tigers crush Plattsburgh 8-2 in the regular season, only to lose their first game and the national championship to the Cards at the Ritter.
2002 - Full-circle: Plattsburgh travels to RIT for the NCAA quarters, splits a two-game series, and upsets RIT in the minigame.

CardsFan91
02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
An RIT thread. This spells disaster.

Dyce
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
An RIT thread. This spells disaster.

Imagine telling yourself that a dozen times whenever you visited the forum, and Presto!, you're in 2001!

PSUChamps2001
02-28-2011, 07:34 PM
JUST BECAUSE....

http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/125/d8f4f2aa8cef4afb82643e751cbf02c6/l.jpg

jconnor
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm one fan who really misses the trip up to the Ritter each year. Saw some **** good hockey games between Elmira and RIT. It wasn't unusual to see well over 200 EC fans up there for a game.

PrezdeJohnson09
02-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, I'm one fan who really misses the trip up to the Ritter each year. Saw some **** good hockey games between Elmira and RIT. It wasn't unusual to see well over 200 EC fans up there for a game.

Even more than that I think back in the mid 90s

WestsideTigersFan
03-01-2011, 06:05 AM
They finished the job in 1983 also, albeit when everyone was Division II.

It will be a lot longer than after this year for the women.

Dear Russell,

Don't be so sure about that one. Why not stick to DIII men's hockey and leave DI stuff to those who know something about it? Of course, that would make too much sense.

I now gladly return you to your RIT bashing. Can't say I've missed this side of the forum that much since we left.

Matt Rennell
03-01-2011, 06:13 AM
Dear Russell,

Don't be so sure about that one. Why not stick to DIII men's hockey and leave DI stuff to those who know something about it? Of course, that would make too much sense.

I now gladly return you to your RIT bashing. Can't say I've missed this side of the forum that much since we left.

I don't know why you guys ever went D1. You would make a perfect fit for the NESCAC.

NUProf
03-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Dear Russell,

This post speaks volumes for the attitudes of (some) of the old RIT posters - no sense of humor and an inflated sense of self importance. That being said, the guys who have stayed or transferred DIII Alliances are a real asset to this forum.

PSUChamps2001
03-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Dear Russell,

Obviously that wouldn't include anyone from RIT, oh that's right one lucky season and RIT is the next Boston College and the AHA is the next Hockey East...

Don't let the door hit you on the way out...here hoping RIT doesn't choke Saturday so I can watch the girls come in and wipe the ice with the little kitties once again...

The Thunder Dome
03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
hehehe...

A short list of things:
1. Basically every fan of an ECAC-W team is going be upset with RIT for all of their team's great years that were cut short by an even greater RIT team.
2. Basically every fan of an ECAC-W team is going be upset with RIT for leaving to go DI literally JUST as the ECAC-W got enough teams to qualify for Pool A.
3. Many other fans will be upset with RIT for reason #1.
4. RIT was the great choke-artist. Always great, but 1985 was the only time they finished the job. 2001, the National CHampionship Game against Platty was their ONLY loss.
5. Because of all the people upset with RIT for these, and other, reasons, RIT is the easy scapegoat (albeit jokingly) for today's DIII issues, since they're off playing DI and totally unconcerned about Men's DIII Hockey (or Women's DIII Hockey after this year).

There's soooooo much more to this story, however.

From an EC fans standpoint, there was extra tension due to the fact that an EC alumnus went on to coach RIT. It felt like he turned his back on his alma mater, which just added fuel to the fire and made it one of the best rivalries in all of D3 hockey. I agree with jconnor, I miss it.:(

Russell Jaslow
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Dear Russell,

First, why don't you pull that stick out of your *ss.

Second, I'll match my DI knowledge with you any day of the week, turd.