#11 Bowling Green vs. #6 NMU- CCHA First Round Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #11 Bowling Green vs. #6 NMU- CCHA First Round Playoffs

What sucks is that even if this team was undefeated, there would still be the same amount of locals in the crowd. I know the NMU budget is tight, that the hockey program is still using the same budget from 2002, but there isn't any promotion of this team throughout the community unless you: a) know the team exists already and b) know of where to find information about the team.

At least some NMU alums who care about the sport are working for the Mining Journal, but their hands are tied for what they can do too.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      What sucks is that even if this team was undefeated, there would still be the same amount of locals in the crowd. I know the NMU budget is tight, that the hockey program is still using the same budget from 2002, but there isn't any promotion of this team throughout the community unless you: a) know the team exists already and b) know of where to find information about the team.

At least some NMU alums who care about the sport are working for the Mining Journal, but their hands are tied for what they can do too.

Many people complain about the ticket prices at NMU games. What I try to tell them is that actually NMU's prices are a bargain compared to many D-1 hockey schools.

Or else they'll complain about the Berry's seating and pine for the days at Lakeview. Then again, there was a junior team recently that they could support at Lakeview and consume as much alcohol as they wanted. But they couldn't give away tickets to Ranger games either. Fact is, Marquette just isn't as great a hockey supporting town as they like to think.
      Last edited by NMUFAN; 03-06-2011, 12:17 PM.

Comment

By the way, I believe the last team to end Northern's season at home was BGSU in March of 2001.

Deja vu? I hope not.

GO CATS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
          Many people complain about the ticket prices at NMU games. What I try to tell them is that actually NMU's prices are a bargain compared to many D-1 hockey schools.

Or else they'll complain about the Berry's seating and pine for the days at Lakeview. Then again, there was a junior team recently that they could support at Lakeview and consume as much alcohol as they wanted. But they couldn't give away tickets to Ranger games either. Fact is, Marquette just isn't as great a hockey supporting town as they like to think.
          Agree 100% with Marquette not being as big as a hockey town as they like to boast. The CCHA sets the prices for the playoff series, but its on par for regular season games with the public. Nobody shows up to the Berry, even if the team is really good, like last season. The Rangers had attendance issues, NMU basketball is just horrible in terms of attendance, and NMU football...well you should have seen the number of people in the seats when Buddy was the QB. Marquette is just not a sports town at all.
          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
          2006-2007: 15-24-2
          2007-2008: 20-20-4
          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
            Agree 100% with Marquette not being as big as a hockey town as they like to boast.
            The entire UP lacks hockey compared to what it should be. Very dissapointing. Especially in Houghton and Marquette. Any way, the reason I am here... this is probably a long shot but is there any sort of free or tv feed of this game?

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
              The entire UP lacks hockey compared to what it should be. Very dissapointing. Especially in Houghton and Marquette. Any way, the reason I am here... this is probably a long shot but is there any sort of free or tv feed of this game?
              No, the only video feed of the game is on the American One network which costs 7 or 8 dollars: http://www.b2tv.com/partner_members.asp?id=17

Comment

So I take it no one is doing a game thread or even watching the game, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
                  So I take it no one is doing a game thread or even watching the game, eh?
                  I saw that somebody just started a game thread. I am just listening to the NMU radio feed.

Comment

Game should be over by now, who won?
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Bowling Green 2-1 in double ot.

Comment

Originally posted by redwings8831 View Post
                          Bowling Green 2-1 in double ot.
                          Thanks!
                          Originally posted by alfablue
                          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Just a heads up for BGSU fans, make sure you don't look at Scooter Vaughn, he may get offended.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Just a heads up for BGSU fans, make sure you don't look at Scooter Vaughn, he may get offended.
                              Hopefully you did not offend Jordan Samuels-Thomas this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
                                BG will not have the services of Solway and Ruel. http://www.sent-trib.com/bgsu-sports...r-nmu-03-02-11 Solway doesn't have very many points (but who does? Solway: 5-10-15; leading scorer: 8-10-18) but he works hard. And plays dirty.
                                Interesting perspective on Solway as he only has 12 penalties for 24 minutes this season, not even close to tops on the team. He must be "sneaky dirty".

Comment

Working...
                                X