Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University vs Northeastern 3/4 and 5

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
    I don't disagree. But take a look at some individual fans in 118 during a chant....mailing it in. Doesn't matter what size the arena if you are just mouthing the words.
    It's gone way down hill. Some of it has to do with the over pervasiveness of the security over the past 3 seasons or so, which I think has turned people off to doing anything fun at the games, cheering loud, yelling, any of that, because you're always under the watchful eye of some blue shirt. And no, they don't only look for people who yell f---. That said, hockey games seem to have become more of a social hour since the title, and students seem to be much more cosmopolitan with respect to going to hockey games. It's sad to see, really. Even when HAA first opened, the atmosphere was still very good, not on the level of WBA, but still up there. Apart from some select games, it's been quite subpar.
    time to write new history

Comment

..more face paint perhaps?
      (just kidding)
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
        I don't disagree. But take a look at some individual fans in 118 during a chant....mailing it in. Doesn't matter what size the arena if you are just mouthing the words.
        Last year I felt like that was more of a problem with 118 than 108 but with the exception of the Maine game I think both have been lacking this year, especially lately.
        Bay State (Road) Sports: When Someone Parties Like A Puckstar Or Drives Into The T, We'll Be The Ninth or Tenth To Report It

1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

HAA 108 > 118

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          ..more face paint perhaps?
          (just kidding)
          honestly, this kind of thins really is lacking. not necessarily face paint and those kinds of things, but there was an abundance of passion amongst those at the games which is in very short supply these days.
          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
            It's gone way down hill. Some of it has to do with the over pervasiveness of the security over the past 3 seasons or so, which I think has turned people off to doing anything fun at the games, cheering loud, yelling, any of that, because you're always under the watchful eye of some blue shirt. And no, they don't only look for people who yell f---. That said, hockey games seem to have become more of a social hour since the title, and students seem to be much more cosmopolitan with respect to going to hockey games.
            the security guards at Agganis really do crack down on kids, if you are even suspected of yelling anything inappropriate (swear or not) they give you a stern look or come talk to you. and i couldn't agree more about the role hockey games has taken on at BU, they are much more of a social interaction than a chance to cheer on your team. you get a lot more of the kids who have never been to a hockey game/don't care about hockey/only want to talk to their friends these days. not saying it's a bad thing that hockey is opening up to new crowds of people, but it's certainly not going to be good for crowd noise

Comment

Originally posted by Redd10 View Post
              the security guards at Agganis really do crack down on kids, if you are even suspected of yelling anything inappropriate (swear or not) they give you a stern look or come talk to you. and i couldn't agree more about the role hockey games has taken on at BU, they are much more of a social interaction than a chance to cheer on your team. you get a lot more of the kids who have never been to a hockey game/don't care about hockey/only want to talk to their friends these days. not saying it's a bad thing that hockey is opening up to new crowds of people, but it's certainly not going to be good for crowd noise
              Yeah there were a lot of new kids at the NU vs BC game two weeks ago but the Dog House has leadership. The fans learn the chancts quickly and understand that wn BU or BC especially is in town, Matthews has to be booming. The last minute was great.

Best game I've ever been to at Matthews was against BU last season. NU won 1-0 getting dominated but Rawlings pitched a 43-save shutout. NU ended the game on a 5 minute penalty kill including some 5-on-3. I don't know if I've ever been to a sporting event that racuous and loud, the last five minutes were insane.
              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                Yeah there were a lot of new kids at the NU vs BC game two weeks ago but the Dog House has leadership. The fans learn the chancts quickly and understand that wn BU or BC especially is in town, Matthews has to be booming. The last minute was great.

Best game I've ever been to at Matthews was against BU last season. NU won 1-0 getting dominated but Rawlings pitched a 43-save shutout. NU ended the game on a 5 minute penalty kill including some 5-on-3. I don't know if I've ever been to a sporting event that racuous and loud, the last five minutes were insane.
                i was at that game as well, and indeed it was nuts. to add insult to injury, some of NU's finest threw food at a bunch of us BU fans. always the charmers.

and hey, when BC is in town BU is packed and nuts too. it's the rest of the season that the crowd noise is below where we all want it to be. has nothing to do with our student sections not having "leadership" (which they do have)

Comment

i was at that game as well, and indeed it was nuts. to add insult to injury, some of NU's finest threw food at a bunch of us BU fans. always the charmers.

and hey, when BC is in town BU is packed and nuts too. it's the rest of the season that the crowd noise is below where we all want it to be. has nothing to do with our student sections not having "leadership" (which they do have)
                  The problem isn't the leaders in at BU. we have enthusiastic leaders (quite a few who post here), just not students willing to be led as much as would be ideal. Though the mites in 109 last Friday did a darn good job following along haha
                  Bay State (Road) Sports: When Someone Parties Like A Puckstar Or Drives Into The T, We'll Be The Ninth or Tenth To Report It

1971 1972 1978 1995 2009

HAA 108 > 118

Comment

Originally posted by felizmiguel View Post
                    The problem isn't the leaders in at BU. we have enthusiastic leaders (quite a few who post here), just not students willing to be led as much as would be ideal. Though the mites in 109 last Friday did a darn good job following along haha
                    The leaders are in place on both ends of the ice and when the student sections are full 107-109, 117-119 then Agganis can get loud and be a really tough place to play. However I will agree HAA was made to make money and appeal to the season ticket holders more than crowd noise. Matthews is so loud because of how it is built with the students almost on top of the ice. The BU crowd is always there when the team is highly ranked/Beanpot ...etc but many of them are younger students who are uneducated and don't realize that they should go to every game not just the high profile matchups. Kids are still waiting out in the cold for BC tickets and Beanpot tickets. those were both gone the day they went for pick-up...it is just something missing from the freshman and sophomore classes where they dont feel the desire to show up for the games against UVM,PC..etc
                    GO BU

Comment

• Re: Boston University vs Northeastern 3/4 and 5

Obviously concur with the fact that the student section's hit rock bottom. Agganis is not the whole story, as I think it was rocking in the first few years.

Doesn't seem right to complain about who's filling up the student section when it's not being filled at all. Being there is more important than being loud, and being loud is more important than being witty/clever, something that I think is lost among a lot of people in the Dog Pound nowadays. I shudder to think of what it might turn into if BU had a true stinker of a season.

Between Agganis and overall team complacency, I'm beginning to think the team sold its soul to win in 2009. (I guess not a bad trade for now, we'll see what tune we're singing in 10 years)
                      2008-09 Boston University Terriers
                      Icebreaker, Denver Cup, Beanpot, HE Regular Season, HE Tournament
                      NCAA Champions

Comment

I wouldn't call those "NU's Finest". Those are the minority, the n00bs, the drunks, etc. I'm sure you know that, too. NU is the same way right now with only the big name teams drawing a crowd. The AHA stint and first half losing record (especially at home) really hurt the fan base as fan support right now is a what have you done for me lately kind of thing. Without that tradition of a bu/bc/unh/me, our attendance will continue to be a reflection of how we're playing at the time.
                        Originally posted by Bakunin
                        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                          I wouldn't call those "NU's Finest". Those are the minority, the n00bs, the drunks, etc. I'm sure you know that, too. NU is the same way right now with only the big name teams drawing a crowd. The AHA stint and first half losing record (especially at home) really hurt the fan base as fan support right now is a what have you done for me lately kind of thing. Without that tradition of a bu/bc/unh/me, our attendance will continue to be a reflection of how we're playing at the time.
                          this is absolutely true, i was joking around when i called them NU's finest. I think NU and BU probably face a lot of the same problems student attendance wise - easy to get big crowds for schools like BC, tougher to do so the rest of the year.

Comment

this is absolutely true, i was joking around when i called them NU's finest. I think NU and BU probably face a lot of the same problems student attendance wise - easy to get big crowds for schools like BC, tougher to do so the rest of the year.
                            I figured that. My point is that bu has a tradition of winning (unlike NU) and they shouldnt have the same issues as a school like NU. I think that there's a deeper rooted issue at bu for students not going to games.
                            Originally posted by Bakunin
                            Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by felizmiguel View Post
                              Though the mites in 109 last Friday did a darn good job following along haha
                              Probably was easy for them considering the BU student fanboys have the same maturity and intellectual level.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                                I figured that. My point is that bu has a tradition of winning (unlike NU) and they shouldnt have the same issues as a school like NU. I think that there's a deeper rooted issue at bu for students not going to games.
                                In the past 3 years I've been to every HE rink multiple times. I've seen every single student section less than half full for a game, even those with winning traditions, hell even those who were defending National Champions. It may be a current 18-22 year old "microwave culture" issue, not an isolated issue at one or two schools.

*The only student section that I saw that had break as an excuse for poor attendance was UVM, and I was only their twice. And for the nonbreak weekend they were not full to capacity either.

Comment

Working...
                                X