2010/2011 UML In-Season Thread II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010/2011 UML In-Season Thread II

Holmstrom was even for the night, had no shots, and played over 8 minutes, the majority of which while Philly was shorthanded. Even then, he was never on the ice when Toronto scored.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by bottomdweller View Post
      Ben Holmstrom has been called up tonight for the Flyers.
      Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Holmstrom was even for the night, had no shots, and played over 8 minutes, the majority of which while Philly was shorthanded. Even then, he was never on the ice when Toronto scored.
      hot ****... how is he looking overall?
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I found this clip of ben on the flyers website. here is the link http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocen...=771&id=101022

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
          hot ****... how is he looking overall?
          he has a 10-17-27 line in 60 games this year.

Comment

He was also credited with 5 hits, more than anyone else on either team.
            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
              The current RPI would disagree with you.

Yale, #2 in PRI, SOS rank #27.
              Boston College, #3 in RPI, SOS rank #28.
              Union, #4 in RPI, SOS rank #37.
              Merrimack, #7 RPI, SOS rank #45.
              UNH, #10 RPI, SOS rank #29.
              RPI, #15 in RPI (but #13 in PWR), SOS rank #40.
              Dartmouth, #16 in RPI, SOS rank #25.

All those teams have winning percentages .600 or above.

So one third of the top 20 teams have a schedule rank of #25 or below. Five of those teams will probably make the NCAAs this year, maybe more. Make the schedule you can make, and win the games you schedule, and a team will do OK for itself. Strength of Schedule is there to help compare teams with winning records to one another, to properly weight wins against good teams more than wins against bad ones.

NoDak, currently #1 in RPI and #2 in PWR, has the #1 SOS rank.
              Alaska-Anchorage, currently #26 in RPI and PWR, has the #2 SOS rank. And a winning percentage of .420.

If you don't win, it's irrelevant. In fact, it can actually hurt you. BU and UNH are both ahead of Merrimack in Hockey East, but ranked lower in PWR. BU lost to Brown (and tied them) and lost to RPI and tied Notre Dame.

UNH lost to Miami and St. Lawrence, tied Michigan, and tied Brown.

Merrimack's OOC schedule was not strong, but they ran the table. There are enough TUCs in the league to help you gain a good ranking if you post a winning record.

I guess the moral of the story is.. don't schedule Brown.
              You're right, losing to lower teams does hurt you. Lowell arguably would have made the NCAA in 2009's as an at-large if they did not have an dreadful out of conference schedule. That bid went to Vermont because they ran the table OOC and also had the schedule to back it up. If you win, that does solve a lot of problems, no matter how tough your schedule is.

Over the course of the past few years, Lowell's schedule has gotten weaker even when this team had talent. We used to play the Union's, RPI's, Dartmouth's of the ECAC, or the CC, Denver, and Duluth. Now, it's been Bentley, Huntsville, Mankato, Niagara, RIT. Even Merrimack went to North Dakota a few years ago. It's a concerning trend.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if you don't have balance and play some of the top rated teams in all four conferences, how are you ever going make that jump to the next level and get to the NCAA. Playing Brown isn't going to get the job done.
              - John

2013, 2014, 2017: UML Hockey: Hockey East Champions!

Comment

I think it is possible that Bob may have a cardiac event when doing a game. Sounds like an interesting 1st period. Budd was annihilated and now Pendenza is out for nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  I think it is possible that Bob may have a cardiac event when doing a game. Sounds like an interesting 1st period. Budd was annihilated and now Pendenza is out for nothing...
                  Hopefully they can kill off the rest of this 5min through the start of the 2nd and Carr keeps his game up. Too bad it breaks up the Pendenza/Campbell/Holmstrom (I think) line. They were playing well.
                  U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                  UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Originally posted by goUMLgoBC View Post
                    Hopefully they can kill off the rest of this 5min through the start of the 2nd and Carr keeps his game up. Too bad it breaks up the Pendenza/Campbell/Holmstrom (I think) line. They were playing well.
                    They killed the major.
                    Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Nice interview with Cey.

Comment

Down 1-0, UVM scores with 7:28 gone in the second.
                        Monty

Comment

Down 1-0, UVM scores with 7:28 gone in the second.
                          Then UML takes a penalty. I know Bob said the Pendenza hit was questionable, but they've been in the box a lot so far.

Hopefully this 4 on 4 / UML PP will yield something.
                          U.S. Naval Academy '06 - BS
                          UMass Lowell '12 - MBA

Comment

Blaise said fast and loose in the pregame but I think they need to be a little less loose.

And Madoor makes a TV save.

Comment

I have heard Arnold's name an awful lot this game. Yay for him!

Comment

After an even 10-10 in shots in the first period, thanks to a good chunk of the 5-minute major falling into this period, UVM outshoots Lowell heavily 11-3 in the second, and leaves up 2-0 with a second goal with just 35 seconds left in the period.
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X