Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

leswp1
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
helluva shot!

MaryK
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
News from the radio show:

Trip to Mankato October 15-16th
Niagara is coming here. We'll also be playing Brown and in the UConn tournament.

UML
03-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Niagara is coming here. We'll also be playing Brown and in the UConn tournament.
Home or away against Brown?

UMLFan
03-01-2011, 10:57 PM

Anything about the "other trip" ... "overseas?" ;)

And so once again, the non HE competition is awful. Fantastic.

ScottK
03-02-2011, 04:32 AM
Anything about the "other trip" ... "overseas?" ;)

I was told that the "other trip" has been delayed for at least one season.

John_Fuller
03-02-2011, 05:24 AM

Trip to Mankato October 15-16th. Niagara is coming here. We'll also be playing Brown and in the UConn tournament.

Keep in mind that October 15-16th is a Saturday/Sunday. In all likelihood, even if the Sunday game is a 2:00 PM start, that's going to be a very tight squeeze to make the last flight out at 7:00 PM. If it a 4 or 5 PM game, we're all having dinner after the game in Manakto and coming home on Monday.

Airfare will be a problem as there is no commerical air service to Manakto and MSP is the closest commerical airport within 150 miles. Because MSP is a fortress hub http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_hub#Fortress_hub a non-stop round trip fare could be as much as 400-500 USD. It's actually cheaper to fly out of a secondary airport, i.e. MHT but there may be stops.

Hotels should be reasonable 60-100 USD / night. Good news, the Gophers aren't home that weekend, in fact they have a bye.

UMLFan
03-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I was told that the "other trip" has been delayed for at least one season.
THat blows. :(

Keep in mind that October 15-16th is a Saturday/Sunday. In all likelihood, even if the Sunday game is a 2:00 PM start, that's going to be a very tight squeeze to make the last flight out at 7:00 PM. If it a 4 or 5 PM game, we're all having dinner after the game in Manakto and coming home on Monday.

Airfare will be a problem as there is no commerical air service to Manakto and MSP is the closest commerical airport within 150 miles. Because MSP is a fortress hub http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_hub#Fortress_hub a non-stop round trip fare could be as much as 400-500 USD. It's actually cheaper to fly out of a secondary airport, i.e. MHT but there may be stops.

Hotels should be reasonable 60-100 USD / night. Good news, the Gophers aren't home that weekend, in fact they have a bye.
What in the world is there to do in Mankato?

John_Fuller
03-02-2011, 09:39 AM

There's a Happy Chef!!!!! I thought they were gone from the Midwest!. :D :p ;)

http://www.happychef.com

boblav1
03-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Yes, although Brown is improving and RPI (UConn Tourney) should have a decent team next year. I like the WCHA teams on the schedule but Lowell needs to win some of those games They've done nothing over the past few years against Mankato and Duluth.

So it looks like....
@ Mankato (2)
Brown
Niagara
@ (UConn Tourney) - RPI
@ (UConn Tourney) - ?
? (Please, not Bentley)

Hopefully they can find a decent team to play in that last NC game.

John_Fuller
03-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Hopefully they can find a decent team to play in that last NC game.

Indeed, this team needs to play either a CCHA or WCHA team once/year. Playing ECAC, Atlantic Hockey, or ALA-HSV isn't going to help the strength of schedule or help us get to that next level.

Unfortunately, with six of the games already set, who's really left. We are already playing at least RPI/Brown from the ECAC, Niagara and someone else* from Atlantic Hockey, and Mankato from the WCHA. I think it's safe to rule out ther rest of the west. The remaining Ivies will most likely not play us for one. SLU/Clarkson is too far away for one game. So that leave Quinnipiac and Union from the ECAC as possible matchups. Even in Atlantic Hockey, we are not going to go or host most of those teams. The only matchup I wouldn't mind seeing is going to or hosting Army, that's better than hosting Bentley again or some of the other teams.

* I would assume the fourth opponent in the UConn Classic is an Atlantic Hockey team.

MaryK
03-02-2011, 05:26 PM
THat blows. :(

Agreed. I was really looking forward to that and had already picked up 2 travel books at the Borders clearance sale to do more research.

I was going to say go into MSP but that's a 90 minute ride. :( I'll change my answer to nothing.

Patman
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
* I would assume the fourth opponent in the UConn Classic is an Atlantic Hockey team.

That's an incredibly safe assumption... i could probably try to figure out who, but I don't care enough. The UConn tournament has always been set up with UConn v. League as the first night. 3 Atlantic Hockey teams would be bad... but you know... what other pull do we have at this point... we can't leverage any value as a "good" team since we aren't, we are a DII school, etc.

My opinion... 2 WCHA, 2 CCHA, 2 ECAC, 1 Atl Hockey... realistically, 2 WCHA/CCHA, 2 ECAC, 1 tournament, 1 Atl Hockey. I'll take another game with RPI if we need to... is next season's home league slate 13 or 14 games?

Anyhoo... you can certainly expect to see me in Storrs... I've been waiting for this one for awhile now... 1:30 from "home" for me, 2:00 from Lowell. Debating on whether I'll spring for a hotel... Nathan Hale Inn on campus may be cheap during the break. I just hope I don't have to break out both paper bags. :eek: :rolleyes: :(

I was going to say go into MSP but that's a 90 minute ride. :( I'll change my answer to nothing.

It'll take me 80 to get home from work :) ... that doesn't sound too bad :)

boblav1
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
My opinion... 2 WCHA, 2 CCHA, 2 ECAC, 1 Atl Hockey... realistically, 2 WCHA/CCHA, 2 ECAC, 1 tournament, 1 Atl Hockey. I'll take another game with RPI if we need to... is next season's home league slate 13 or 14 games?(

The Hockey East home slate should be 14 games next season.

dmjossel
03-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Indeed, this team needs to play either a CCHA or WCHA team once/year. Playing ECAC, Atlantic Hockey, or ALA-HSV isn't going to help the strength of schedule or help us get to that next level.

The current RPI would disagree with you.

Yale, #2 in PRI, SOS rank #27.
Boston College, #3 in RPI, SOS rank #28.
Union, #4 in RPI, SOS rank #37.
Merrimack, #7 RPI, SOS rank #45.
UNH, #10 RPI, SOS rank #29.
RPI, #15 in RPI (but #13 in PWR), SOS rank #40.
Dartmouth, #16 in RPI, SOS rank #25.

All those teams have winning percentages .600 or above.

So one third of the top 20 teams have a schedule rank of #25 or below. Five of those teams will probably make the NCAAs this year, maybe more. Make the schedule you can make, and win the games you schedule, and a team will do OK for itself. Strength of Schedule is there to help compare teams with winning records to one another, to properly weight wins against good teams more than wins against bad ones.

NoDak, currently #1 in RPI and #2 in PWR, has the #1 SOS rank.
Alaska-Anchorage, currently #26 in RPI and PWR, has the #2 SOS rank. And a winning percentage of .420.

If you don't win, it's irrelevant. In fact, it can actually hurt you. BU and UNH are both ahead of Merrimack in Hockey East, but ranked lower in PWR. BU lost to Brown (and tied them) and lost to RPI and tied Notre Dame.

UNH lost to Miami and St. Lawrence, tied Michigan, and tied Brown.

Merrimack's OOC schedule was not strong, but they ran the table. There are enough TUCs in the league to help you gain a good ranking if you post a winning record.

I guess the moral of the story is.. don't schedule Brown.

bottomdweller
03-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Ben Holmstrom has been called up tonight for the Flyers.

UMLFan
03-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Holmstrom was even for the night, had no shots, and played over 8 minutes, the majority of which while Philly was shorthanded. Even then, he was never on the ice when Toronto scored.

Patman
03-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Ben Holmstrom has been called up tonight for the Flyers.

Holmstrom was even for the night, had no shots, and played over 8 minutes, the majority of which while Philly was shorthanded. Even then, he was never on the ice when Toronto scored.

hot ****... how is he looking overall?

bigeasy29
03-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I found this clip of ben on the flyers website. here is the link http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=771&id=101022

bottomdweller
03-04-2011, 12:53 AM
hot ****... how is he looking overall?

he has a 10-17-27 line in 60 games this year.

ScottK
03-04-2011, 06:39 AM

He was also credited with 5 hits, more than anyone else on either team.