Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College Hockey's All-Time Leading Scorer

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    Mayasich owned the record for a long time. I bet his points per game is still the all time best. IMO, he is the greatest college hockey player of all time.
    He's about 10th. He averaged a little less than 2.7/game. There are a handful of guys who have averaged more than 3/game.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

How about PC's Ron Wilson. 250 points from 73-77 and 87 pts in 74/75 season..

And he was a dman.....

I doubt any other D were close.

And he did it in 111 games, which is less than 3 years in todays world.

Comment

It's a little surprising that there are no BU or BC players on the list, given their program's success. John Cullen ended up with 241 for BU, and I think Dave Emma is in the same range (Did Gionta pass him?). I think Shawn McEachern ended up with 188 after three years, so 54 more as a Senior would have broken Cullen's record (he had 82 as a junior, so even with a big drop, he had a good shot.)

I remember Montogomery's years well. I also remember Shawn Walsh being pretty livid when Dave Sacco was named All-American over him, despite having about 30 less points.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Few things with regards to the NCAA record book... These questions are coming from the newest record book (2010-2011) too....

How can CC own the longest losing streak at 31 games yet they also own the longest winless streak (from the same time frame) and that is 2 games shorter than the longest losing streak?

Theissen owns a career sv% of .922 yet doesn't show up in the NCAA records that go down to .920....

There were some others but i don't wanna keep looking....

So how do we know what of these records is legit? Just wondering....
          Originally posted by Bakunin
          Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            The most interesting scorer to me is Phil Latreille, who played for Middlebury in early 60s, and was only allowed to play three years, as freshmen weren't eligible. In those days before the NCAA broke into D-I, D-II and D-III, Middlebury played many teams each season that remain D-I schools today. Oh, and the guy scored nearly 300 points in 3 years and had 80 goals as a senior! If he had an extra year....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=10754

Joey Ferras is another out of the current DIII ranks. 359 points.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1658
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
              Few things with regards to the NCAA record book... These questions are coming from the newest record book (2010-2011) too....

How can CC own the longest losing streak at 31 games yet they also own the longest winless streak (from the same time frame) and that is 2 games shorter than the longest losing streak?

Theissen owns a career sv% of .922 yet doesn't show up in the NCAA records that go down to .920....

There were some others but i don't wanna keep looking....

So how do we know what of these records is legit? Just wondering....
              Direct from page 2 of the Men's Division I Records:
              "Official NCAA men’s ice hockey records began with the 1947-48 (1948) season and are based on information submitted to the NCAA statistics service by institutions participating in the statistics rankings."

I would guess that the NCAA only compiles information the schools send them, so errors and omissions are the fault of the schools that supply, or don't supply, the information.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Need to to it on a pts/game basis, not total points (assuming a minimum # of games of course)

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  The most interesting scorer to me is Phil Latreille, who played for Middlebury in early 60s, and was only allowed to play three years, as freshmen weren't eligible. In those days before the NCAA broke into D-I, D-II and D-III, Middlebury played many teams each season that remain D-I schools today. Oh, and the guy scored nearly 300 points in 3 years and had 80 goals as a senior! If he had an extra year....

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=10754
                  Phil Latreille is in the Division III Records section. However, many of his records are missing from the NCAA record book. For example, only his senior season is listed for season scoring records, yet his junior and sophomore scoring and junior goals records should be listed as well.

The NCAA is not the only place missing some of his records, as HockeyDB is missing his freshman season. He played as a freshman in 1957-58 and had 36-16-52 in 20 games, good for 8th in scoring in the East (and the nation).

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    Points per game - Frank Chiarelli - RPI (4.39 in 1951-1952 season)
                    Did he only play in 5 games, or what? 4.39/game????

Comment

Why doesn't someone weight these by goals/points/game and by, say, mean goals scored per game for the league by decade, to compensate for declines in scoring (due to differences in goaltending, defense, coaching and conditioning). Then we could have a better comparison for how impressive players were across eras. If the data wasn't too hard to find, one could bring in top scorers from the 80's, 90's and 2000's and see if they start looking better by comparison. (Although this still wouldn't account for differences in depth. My guess is that there was a bigger discrepancy between the top players and 4th line players 40 -50 years ago than there is today.)
                      Last edited by Koho; 02-24-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=33733

I don't know if this is a Div 2 record, and I don't want to put in the leg work... but Mike Carr had 134-145--279 over four years at ULowell.

edit: Koho... from the data I've seen around, scoring was most certainly higher from the mid-90s on back. That being said, I am not sure if there are any seriously complete repositories of game records going so far back. Though, I have to wonder if our lack of totals versus earlier last decade (Panzer... and I'm sure others around 80 pts) has to do with a change in the game as much as anything else. I don't think scoring is down a quarter since 10 years ago.
                        Last edited by Patman; 02-24-2011, 10:16 PM.
                        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                        Skating Friar Jersey
                        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          and, the good players never stay 4 years anymore, either.
                          Yeah, but there isn't anyone on that list who played four years and I even saw a couple towards the bottom that only played two seasons!?!

Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

While a lot of the obvious reasons have been given for why scoring is down (better defense, better goaltending/equipment), I think another contributing factor is the rise in scouting and watching tape on your opponents. Coaches have been able to breakdown (especially in the WCHA, I can't speak too much outside the conference) tape of opposing team's powerplays and schemes. I think that, coupled with better defense, goaltending and equipment are the main reasons why scoring is down.
                            North Dakota
                            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              He's about 10th. He averaged a little less than 2.7/game. There are a handful of guys who have averaged more than 3/game.
                              OIC, not bad for three years of college hockey.
                              Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                              dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                              wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                                Any reason why no one has made the list since the mid nineties?
                                Most NCAA schools deemed statistics useless in the mid nineties and simply stopped keeping track of them.
                                I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X