The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

As some of you know, I developed a formula for ranking programs and their histories. I am going to be using the same basic formula for coming up with a list of the Greatest Coaches of All-Time. Obviously, I'm not going to go through every single coach. What I'm going to do, is open this thread up for people to nominate who they want to include. To start things off, here are coaches that are already nominated:

Jerry York
    Jack Parker
    Rick Comley
    Mike Eaves
    George Gwozdecky
    Don Lucia
    Dean Blais
    Shawn Walsh
    Red Berenson
    Jeff Jackson
    Jeff Sauer
    Bill Cleary
    Frank Anzalone
    Gino Gasparini
    Ron Mason
    Mike Addesa
    Herb Brooks
    Bob Johnson
    John MacInnes
    Ned Harkness
    Murray Armstrong
    Amo Bessone
    Vic Heyliger
    Barry Thorndycraft
    Tom Bedecki
    Cheddy Thompson
    Snooks Kelley
    Al Renfrew

I'd like to keep the list to around 50 if at all possible. Feel free to nominate anyone you'd like, but keep in mind that only D-1 accomplishments will be counted.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Re: The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

Walt Kyle
    NMU

Comment

Tim Taylor, Unfortunately his national team and world experience outweighs his D-1 stuff. I will save you the time of looking for his resume.

Tim Taylor, Head Coach of Yale Men's Hockey (1976-2006) Tim Taylor, who has more wins (337-433-55)than any head coach in the history of Yale hockey, made a name for himself and the Yale hockey program by getting involved in every aspect of the sport. Whether he was leading an Olympic team into battle, coaching an unheralded Yale squad into the NCAA playoffs, moderating a panel at the World Hockey Summit, instructing a youth clinic or teaching his Bulldog players a new system for breaking out of the defensive zone, Taylor made his presence known. Taylor, the head coach of the 1994 U.S. Olympic team at Lillehammer, spent 28 seasons (does not include two years with Olympic teams) behind the Yale bench and coached more games than anyone in the history of ECACHL hockey. More importantly, he sent future Olympians, National Hockey League stars, professional coaches and well-rounded students out on the ice at Ingalls Rink. There were many memorable campaigns under Taylor in New Haven, but one stood out the most. The 1997-98 Yale team that was predicted to finish 10th in the ECAC took the conference regular-season championship and a berth in the school's first NCAA Tournament since 1952. That squad (23-9-3, 17-4-1) set school records for overall and ECAC victories, while Taylor swept all three coach of the year awards. Yale's 1997-98 season of miracles, which included an Ivy League title and the emergence of three All-Americans, was built with a solid recruiting effort and bolstered by a commitment to team defense, something the Eli hockey mentor stresses more than anything else. His defensive efforts helped produce ECAC Player of the Year and Best Defensive Defenseman Ray Giroux and Ken Dryden Award winning goalie Alex Westlund. The Blue, ranked among the nation's top 10 all season, led the ECAC in overall goals per game and team defense and earned its first trip to the conference championships since 1986-87. The Taylor regime produced one ECACHL title, six Ivy League champions, 19 ECAC playoff teams, a pair of 20-win seasons and many professional skaters. Taylor, the 1997-98 Spencer Penrose Award winner as the American Hockey Coaches Association University Coach of the Year, was a three-time (1986-87, 1991-92, 1997-98) ECAC Coach of the Year and a two-time (1991-92, 1997-98) New England Coach of the Year. He coached all six of Yale's Hobey Baker Award finalists. Taylor's 1985-86 squad (20-10), which was his best until 1997-98, shattered 16 team and individual records, beat defending national champion RPI twice, upset national finalist Harvard and climbed as high as No. 4 in the national rankings. It took a 3-2 double overtime loss to Cornell in a classic ECAC semifinal to stop the Elis. In addition to his role with the '94 Olympic Team, the 63-year-old Taylor (who passed Murray Murdoch on the Yale hockey coaching victory list with his 279th on Dec. 4, 2001) had a number of important international assignments, including a role as assistant general manager and assistant coach for the 1984 U.S. Olympic team. He served as head coach of the U.S. National Team at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Championships four straight years in the 90's, in addition to leading Team USA to its best finish in the 1991 Canada Cup. Taylor, an assistant in the Canada Cup, took over Team USA after Bob Johnson became ill and led the Americans to second place. A two-time assistant for the U.S. National Team (1981 and 1983), Taylor also led the South to a silver medal in the 1987 Olympic Sports Festival. Taylor, the recipient of USA Hockey's 2006 Distinguished Achievement Award, is a 1963 Harvard graduate. He spent seven years as an assistant at his alma mater before becoming Yale's 10th head coach. He captained the 1963 Crimson team that won the Ivy League and the ECAC championships, and tallied 46 goals and 33 assists for 79 career points in 68 games. Taylor, the recipient of the Angier Trophy for most improved Harvard player his junior season, made the U.S. national team in 1965 and 1967. Taylor (born March 26, 1942) and his wife, Diana Cooke, reside in Guilford.
      Last edited by LTsatch; 02-22-2011, 09:31 PM.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Jack Kelley...won titles in 71 and 72 with BU
        GO BU

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
          Thank you for that. I knew I was forgetting someone.
          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by mpereira View Post
            mpereira, any relation to Mario from WH?
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Ron Jeremy, errrr, Scotty Owens
              DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
              sigpic
              WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

The legs feed the wolf.

If Herb Brooks doesn't win I give up on life.
                Originally posted by vizoroo
                Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                Originally posted by duper
                I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                Originally posted by dggoddard
                Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                  The legs feed the wolf.

If Herb Brooks doesn't win I give up on life.
                  FWIW, Olympics and NHL careers are not factored in. I will only be looking at time at D-1 Colleges. Given that, while I think Herb Brooks will fair very well, I don't know if he'll finish on top. We'll see though.
                  North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
                    Ron Jeremy, errrr, Scotty Owens
                    I think you actually have to win something to be on the list.
                    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
                    www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Bob Peters

If we're talking about this during the season, what are we going to discuss in the off-season? Worst coaches of all time?

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                        Bob Peters

If we're talking about this during the season, what are we going to discuss in the off-season? Worst coaches of all time?
                        It will take me until the off-season to do the research...and that's being a tad hopeful.

EDIT: Also, with Bob Peters, it would only include his time when Bemidji was D-1.
                        Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM.
                        North Dakota

Comment

I would like to nominate Gary Wright of AIC. 27 seasons and is the all time winningest coach for the team. Only Jack Parker has a longer tenure at one school than Gary Wright. That should put him in the top ten, no problem.

GO AIC!!
                          *****http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50274_64358112816_5197991_n.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                            It will take me until the off-season to do the research...and that's being a tad hopeful.
                            Ha...Sounds good, I do like the worst coaches of all-time idea though...

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

EDIT: Also, with Bob Peters, it would only include his time when Bemidji was D-1.
                              And at North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X