The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Coaches of All-Time

FS23, does your formula take into consideration when a team wins 95 games in the three seasons before you take over and then needs eight seasons after you leave to win another 95?

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      Can you cite a specific example of someone making this statement?
      It's a long story. Whitehead has a few defenders in Maine threads on USCHO. A while back, some Maine fans were expressing disappointment over the uni's decision never to have a full search to replace Walsh. This was about the time that Blais returned to college hockey, and not too long after Jackson's return...

Anyway, one of Whitehead's defenders made it a point to sarcastically congratulate Jeff Jackson every time that Notre Dame had a bad game (you can't replace leadership like that!, etc). It got old. (To be fair, some of the stoopider anti-Whitehead stuff got old, too).

Anyway, it's an inside reference. No need to get into the gory details on this fine thread. Leave it for the Maine threads.
      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        FS23, does your formula take into consideration when a team wins 95 games in the three seasons before you take over and then needs eight seasons after you leave to win another 95?
        Unfortunately not. I was debating about using some sort of comparison between the coach's time at the school and the success said program had when that coach was not there.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
          And why can't you come up with a system that takes into effect the advantages? Every player on a roster can be given a ranking (ie, #1 if NHL First Round Draft pick, #10 if a non-schollie, walk-on). Take a weighted average for every team to account for roster size disparities.

Hypothetically, let's say you did that for Minny (score of 3.4) and RIT (score of 7.5). You could come up with a resasonable system that handicaps each team based on the talent on the roster. It could get to a point, where even though Minny's winning % was much higher than RIT in a season, RIT's coach is better because he won more than he should have given the talent he had to work with (and I understand you'd also have to handicap the fact that RIT plays worse competition than does Minny)
          Part of being a great coach is the ability to recruit, the ability to take a less than ideal situation and sell student-athletes on that situtation. When Blais took over at UND, the Sioux were down. They weren't competitive for top talent. Blais won his first national championship at UND with a roster composed largely of kids that most other top programs weren't overly interested in. But Blais turned them into a national championship team. After becoming regular national title contenders again, the Sioux became competative for more of the top-end talent.

I image Blais will come out fairly well in this analysis. If he does, it goes far beyond just his wins/losses. It reflects his ability to take a down program located in a back-water location that was difficult to recruit to and make it attractive to top talent again. Using a system that handicaps a team based on the talent on the roster would punish a coach like Blais over the long run for doing the very thing that makes a coach a great coach, turning his team into an annual contender and making his team attractive to top talent. Therefore, I would personally reject your contention that such handicapping gives a truer picture of a coaches' ability.
          sigpicUniversity of North Dakota, 8 time D-I Ice Hockey National Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by ecbrevik View Post
            Part of being a great coach is the ability to recruit, the ability to take a less than ideal situation and sell student-athletes on that situtation. When Blais took over at UND, the Sioux were down. They weren't competitive for top talent. Blais won his first national championship at UND with a roster composed largely of kids that most other top programs weren't overly interested in. But Blais turned them into a national championship team. After becoming regular national title contenders again, the Sioux became competative for more of the top-end talent.

I image Blais will come out fairly well in this analysis. If he does, it goes far beyond just his wins/losses. It reflects his ability to take a down program located in a back-water location that was difficult to recruit to and make it attractive to top talent again. Using a system that handicaps a team based on the talent on the roster would punish a coach like Blais over the long run for doing the very thing that makes a coach a great coach, turning his team into an annual contender and making his team attractive to top talent. Therefore, I would personally reject your contention that such handicapping gives a truer picture of a coaches' ability.
            Glad you admit that.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
              Glad you admit that.
              He meant UNO.

Comment

#15 - Dean Blais
                Coached at North Dakota from 1994-2004
                Coached at Nebraska-Omaha from 2009-present
                Dean Blais comes in at #15. Dean Blais began his D-1 coaching career at North Dakota, taking over for the legendary Gino Gasparini. North Dakota was a program with a great history, but little recent success. Blais turned things around very quickly. In only his third season, Blais led the Fighting Sioux to the 1997 National Championship. The Sioux would make 2 more Frozen Fours in Blais' time there, winning the title in 2000 and falling short in OT to Boston College in 2001. While at North Dakota, Blais made 7 trips to the NCAA Tournament, and had only 1 losing season in 10 years in Grand Forks. After a brief soiree in the professional ranks, Blais came back to college hockey in 2009, taking over the Nebraksa-Omaha program. In his two seasons at Omaha, Blais helped the Mavs with their transition over to the WCHA, and has posted back to back 20 win seasons. Blais also led UNO to only their second NCAA Tournament this past season. All together, Blais has coached 12 years, has only 1 losing season, has won 20+ games 9 times, 30+ wins 5 times, 8 trips to the NCAA Tournament, 3 Frozen Fours, and 2 National Championships. If Blais can continue leading the Mavs in the right direction, he has an opportunity to move up the rankings. For now, Blais sits at #15.

North Dakota

Comment

Glad you admit that.
                  He meant UNO.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that Grand Forks does have some disadvantages in the recruiting game. The coaches who have won at UND have done so despite those disadvantages. Every program comes with its strong and weak points that a coach has to work with if he is to be successful.

Comment

Glad you admit that.
                    He meant UNO.
                    Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    #15 - Dean Blais
                    And look at that...we provided the intro for the next coach!

Comment

And look at that...we provided the intro for the next coach!
                      It worked out pretty well, I'll give you that. Now, if you do this for the next coach, I'll think you've hacked into my computer and seen my rankings
                      North Dakota

Comment

Thought I'd throw out my guess for top 5:

1. Murray Armstrong
                        2. Vic Heyliger
                        3. Jerry York
                        4. John MacInnes
                        5. Red Berenson

I'm just hoping I got 3 out of the 5.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Thought I'd throw out my guess for top 5:

1. Murray Armstrong
                          2. Vic Heyliger
                          3. Jerry York
                          4. John MacInnes
                          5. Red Berenson

I'm just hoping I got 3 out of the 5.
                          I don't see any way Parker misses the top 5.
                          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                            I don't see any way Parker misses the top 5.
                            Hahahahhahahaha.

Typical.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

It doesn't take a genius to realize that Grand Forks does have some disadvantages in the recruiting game. The coaches who have won at UND have done so despite those disadvantages. Every program comes with its strong and weak points that a coach has to work with if he is to be successful.
                              What recruiting disadvantages? it's just like home to all the Canadians after all, and unless you are an absolute idiot, it's open bar and all you can drink for the rest. One big Canadian drunk fest. Oh, maybe you actually meant the "hostile and abusive" nickname thing.
                              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                                What recruiting disadvantages? ... it's open bar ...
                                Do they have drive-through liquor stores there as well? I was surprised to see how prevalent they were in Wyoming (at least to the extent that anything to do with humans is 'prevalent' there....)
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X