X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
    BTW I agree with WS 1000%
    And i totally agree with your post and Wicked's. Before the seaon I predicted 20 regular season wins and I'm sticking with it. We do not play ECAC style and perhaps won't for some time. But we are a good team that is currently going through a bit of the doldrums(due to injury, fatigue, what have you). We need to play well and win tonight for lots of reasons-even if Yale and Union do not help us-we need to end the season on a strong performance. The playoffs are a whole new ballgame. We get a home series regardles-and of coure I had hoped it would be a bye series. We have lost an awful lot of one goal or OT games this season-we are that close.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      I agree with 99% of this. I mildly disagree with your Union bashing...(sorry couldn't resist )

They are an excellent hockey team...#1 scoring def., #2 scoring off., #1 in GA, and most notably for me, they are 10th in penalty minutes. That's math even a non-engineer like me can understand: If you score a lot, don't allow many and you stay out of the box, you are a very good hockey team...

That's said, I hope to h e l l they flame out in the 2nd round...
      Agreed the U is an excellent team but man for man Yale IMO is more talented by quite a bit but they find themselves in a dog fight for first place.It's all about defense,putting the puck on net and scrappy goals not my cup of tea but thats the formula.I don't personaly like that type of game and would rather play the way we do but we need to develop some type of hybrid version of that type of play btw we are not alone...none other than the Washington Capitals are struggling w/the same situation...They will figure it out and so will we.I believe the next 2 incoming classes are kinda under the radar a bit...they consist of not just top quality players but more importantly what I consider "pieces to the puzzle"...Battle stations everyone !!!!
      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think both you and tb are right. Union is good but if they go in the tourney they will do the Cornell deal where they go out quick. They do so because they are built for that rinky dink rink in Schdy and when they go to neutral site they will get run up and down the ice IMO. For the folks pushing the panic button on SA he is right on track and in with the big boys competing for big time recruits. He's well prepared and knows what he is doing. this team has done more than I thought it would but let's win tonight and see where it all lays.
        "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

BTW - there was a spotting of Babo in the capital region. Someone lay the red carpet up hoosick st. for her.
          "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• Rpi / ncaa

I'm not sure of the NCAA tourney selections ... but assuming the Atlantic Hockey winner gets a bid, that would leave 15 spots. Assuming no sub-16 teams win their leagues then 1-15 get NCAA bids. RPI appears to be on the NCAA bubble at 14.

Of course, RPI needs to win tonight. Unfortunately, the end of the year downslide looks just like last year's season ending 2-5-1 run. I think we'd all like to see them make an NCAA appearance. I recall those years of Joel Laing teams just missing at the #13, #14 position (only 12 teams making the NCAA tourney).

If RPI defeats Q tonight, it appears that Q may be out as a TUC for now. Would a first round win and quarterfinal loss get them back? Does anyone know how badly RPI needs Q to be a TUC? Any chance that a loss tonight and first round loss could remove Cornell as a TUC?

Of course, again RPI needs to win, win, win. Let's go red!

Comment

Bit of a disappointing tie tonight. We just never played with desperation even in the OT. We get Colgate next week and they played us very tough both times this year. I still think we are a very good team but something has been lacking the past 3 weeks. Injuries? Illness? Some lack of motivation? Not sure-but our offense has suffered and most of our scoring has had to come from the underclasses. Hope we can turn this around in the next week of practice. Go Red!

Comment

I thought that the tie-breakers would leave RPI seeded sixth.

If that's true, wouldn't we be playing 11th seed SLU, rather than 12th seed Colgate?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

If that's true, wouldn't we be playing 11th seed SLU, rather than 12th seed Colgate?
                  We tie with Princeton-but win the tie break based on record against the top 4 teams. So we finish 5th officially.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

Cornell wins the first tiebreak due to their 2-0 record against RPI, and gets 4th place.

Then between Princeton and RPI, this series was split, so onto the 2nd tie breaker (league wins). 11 each, so onto the 3rd tie breaker, record against top 4.

Princeton had a record of 1-7 against the top 4 teams (split series with Cornell, lost all other games to Union, Yale, and Dartmouth).

Rensselaer's record against the top 4 was 4-4, thanks to splits against Union and Yale, sweeping Dartmouth, and getting swept by Cornell.

Thus, Rensselaer wins this tie break and ends up in 5th. Princeton seeded 6th.

Comment

Next week we are playing Colgate. I said back in December that I REALLY do not want to play this team come playoffs because of what has happened in the past couple of years with the basement teams. My worst fears have come true. The road is bumpy, but I still think we can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        We tie with Princeton-but win the tie break based on record against the top 4 teams. So we finish 5th officially.
                        We tied with Cornell and Princeton. We lose the head-to-head record 6 (CU) v 4 (PU) v 2 (RPI). But, the ECAC tiebreaker scenario says that the top team is separated from everyone else that they're tied with and then the tiebreaker steps are restarted. That's why we're not in 6th place. (We win the tiebreaker against Princeton based on Points vs Top 4 teams (8 v 2).)
                        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Just got back from watching Yale rout Cornell. The game was close early as Yale controlled play but couldn't score. They broke it open in the 2nd, and after they flashed up the Union 3 Princeton 0 score during the 2nd intermission, I was thinking "home ice here we come." Then they put up the Quinnipiac 2 RPI 2 score and I loudly uttered a word that would have gotten my mouth washed out with soap as a kid. Unfortunately the band had just stopped playing so anyone within about 10 seats in any direction heard me.

Oh well, despite our performance against them this season Cornell is definitely beatable so if the Engineers take care of business against Colgate they will still have a good chance to advance to AC.

BTW: Hicks was refereeing and I guess I haven't forgiven him because I spent half the game watching for him to blow a call. He actually called a pretty good game, although there was a charging call on Yale late in the game that I thought was questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            although there was a charging call on Yale late in the game that I thought was questionable.
                            That was a great, hard and legal hit by Cahill, the puck had just left the Cornell players stick, terrible call.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

You guys do a great job on this board. We have a good group also, although not nearly as large as yours. Regarding your comments on Union, they deserved to win the Cup because they were the most consistent team during the 2nd half of the season, but if you ask me which team I would not want Yale to face in AC, I would answer RPI, hands down. Having said that, I am puzzled why your season has gone downhill so dramatically, right after beating Yale at the freak out.

Comment

Originally posted by cornellgradyalefan View Post
                                although not nearly as large as yours. I am puzzled why your season has gone downhill so dramatically, right after beating Yale at the freak out.
                                I can't understand why yours is not as large as ours either.

Comment

Working...
                                X