PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

engineerhockeyfan
02-27-2011, 07:40 AM
I, for one, am glad that February is over.
I know we had injuries to important players and there was some illness at the end of the month, but we just didn't get it done when we had the chance.
I was at the field house for the Colgate game, and we looked tired. For stretches of that game, we showed that we were a superior team, but they were short bursts and we could not sustain them.
If we are healthy, I think we win. I would say easily, but we never win easily.

DrDemento
02-27-2011, 07:49 AM
I, for one, am glad that February is over.
I know we had injuries to important players and there was some illness at the end of the month, but we just didn't get it done when we had the chance.
I was at the field house for the Colgate game, and we looked tired. For stretches of that game, we showed that we were a superior team, but they were short bursts and we could not sustain them.
If we are healthy, I think we win. I would say easily, but we never win easily.

For most of the years i have followed RPI hockey we do not win easily. The few years that we did win easily-we were national powers. Be patient EHF-those days are coming back! We are on the right track-this year(so far) we have won 9 more games than we have lost. That has not happened in a while. Building a winning program from where we had fallen to takes time. We have plenty of talent this year but just not quite the depth to withstand a few injuries to key players and the grind of weekly ECAC competition. A bye would have been a great help to us but we just lost points in the league all season that we should have gotten. Hopefully we can put forth the team effort next friday night to take charge the first night of the playoffs. That is truly a must game for us. Our task to reach AC is to beat the 2 travel partners that we seem to have the most trouble with the past 10 years. If we do get through that, we will have to have earned it.

DrDemento
02-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Anyone think that perhaps the reason we are flat on Fridays is that we are overdoing the work in practice all week? That we come into friday overtired? Then we play a poor friday game and having no heavy practice, get refreshed for saturday? Just a thought....

Go Puckman
02-27-2011, 08:24 AM
They looked very tired at the end of the game yesterday. Mabey our conditioning isn't as good as it needs to be. We were struggeling to survive in overtime. I'm surprised we held up. The same can be said about our past overtimes. We are just out of gas and it's a keep the puck away from our own net game. Our Powerplay guys need to score again.
Flagdude, I can't believe you cheated at the bicycle race :-)

jmhusker
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
As of this morning we are 13th in PWR. I will wait for WaP's explanation this week as to who we need to root for in the playoffs around the country-Obviously we need to beat Colgate. But will be interested to see who we root for in the various matchups.
This is where things get more and more curious. We've arrived at a tough scenario here as far as NCAA's go. If we beat Gate, it does nothing for us (might not even help our RPI). If we lose then our RPI takes a hit though all of the other TUC stuff is unaffected. It might be worse for us to beat Colgate and then lose to Cornell than to lose to Colgate.

In other words, as far as the NCAA goes, next weekend is almost inconsequential. Obviously we want to win that series and I think we will. That would set up an all or nothing weekend at Lynah where a win would certainly representng progress and a loss really rubbing in the fact that we we're close but not quite there. If that series happens then I'll bet Stewart spends all weekend in Hanover;)!

troyboy
02-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Anyone think that perhaps the reason we are flat on Fridays is that we are overdoing the work in practice all week? That we come into friday overtired? Then we play a poor friday game and having no heavy practice, get refreshed for saturday? Just a thought.... Thats a very good observation.We had several players in fact I would say more than usual sustain injuries in practice this year at least the most I've ever seen.The coach in his pre game interview said that practice this week was a war Im not so sure thats a good Idea ? That goes for Games also...an old wise hockey sage told me you have to play hard but there is smart hard and stupid hard I believe sometimes we are the latter..sometimes we seem to be flying all over the place really not getting anything accomplished other than wearing ourselves out and it causes us to have bad spacing and over pursueing putting us in bad positions...spacing and passing lanes are alot of times created by pace...great passers play with players that know how to create space for themselves to be able to recieve a pass...that can be difficult sometimes w/the pedel on the floor boards...Brandon Pirri was a good example of this and Brock Higgs this year does a great job of that.Its my opinion that we need to become more positionally sound with a little less running around especially in our offensive zone...sometimes you need to slow down and find sweet spots.IMO this 60 minute run and gun style we play limits our puck possession time...thus the low shot count and we have fewer second chances we are much to deep to take advantage of rebounds(over pursuing) its usually one and done for us thus the low goals per game count.Overall We are a very good team and considering what took place over the summer with early departures if we can make a little run in the playoffs it will have been a great year cudo's to the coaching staff and the players..we have more talent coming in next year so its onward and upward the future is good !

engineerhockeyfan
02-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Thats a very good observation.We had several players in fact I would say more than usual sustain injuries in practice this year at least the most I've ever seen.The coach in his pre game interview said that practice this week was a war Im not so sure thats a good Idea ? That goes for Games also...an old wise hockey sage told me you have to play hard but there is smart hard and stupid hard I believe sometimes we are the latter..sometimes we seem to be flying all over the place really not getting anything accomplished other than wearing ourselves out and it causes us to have bad spacing and over pursueing putting us in bad positions...spacing and passing lanes are alot of times created by pace...great passers play with players that know how to create space for themselves to be able to recieve a pass...that can be difficult sometimes w/the pedel on the floor boards...Brandon Pirri was a good example of this and Brock Higgs this year does a great job of that.Its my opinion that we need to become more positionally sound with a little less running around especially in our offensive zone...sometimes you need to slow down and find sweet spots.IMO this 60 minute run and gun style we play limits our puck possession time...thus the low shot count and we have fewer second chances we are much to deep to take advantage of rebounds(over pursuing) its usually one and done for us thus the low goals per game count.Overall We are a very good team and considering what took place over the summer with early departures if we can make a little run in the playoffs it will have been a great year cudo's to the coaching staff and the players..we have more talent coming in next year so its onward and upward the future is good !

This is certainly a work in progress.
I agree with everything you said, and will add that a better breakout pattern will help our puck possession.
We hesitate way too much getting out of our zone. There should be set plays so that the defensemen can just shoot the puck where a forward will be waiting for it. No hesitation necessary.

RPI67
02-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Anyone think that perhaps the reason we are flat on Fridays is that we are overdoing the work in practice all week? That we come into friday overtired? Then we play a poor friday game and having no heavy practice, get refreshed for saturday? Just a thought....

"1" point again this year. On the + side we don't have to face a hot Harvard. We will get W #20 this Friday. No Union factor this weekend.

sk8tronthepond
02-27-2011, 01:37 PM
I was at the game Saturday night and noticed that Kevin Beauregard did not play on senior night. As a matter of fact, he has not played very much at all. Has he been injured?

FlagDUDE08
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
I was at the game Saturday night and noticed that Kevin Beauregard did not play on senior night. As a matter of fact, he has not played very much at all. Has he been injured?

He has played I believe 4 or 5 games his entire collegiate career. I don't think it's injury so much as his game hasn't been up to the standard that Coach is looking for night after night to grant him one of those 18 skater spots. His father was PO'd on RPISPORT because of this turn of events for senior night.

sk8tronthepond
02-27-2011, 01:51 PM
He has played I believe 4 or 5 games his entire collegiate career. I don't think it's injury so much as his game hasn't been up to the standard that Coach is looking for night after night to grant him one of those 18 skater spots. His father was PO'd on RPISPORT because of this turn of events for senior night.

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Ralph Baer
02-27-2011, 02:08 PM

I thnk that is his uncle.

FlagDUDE08
02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I thnk that is his uncle.

Oops. :o

TuteScrooge
02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
On other fronts, the Bruins have inked Kirk MacDonald to an NHL contract, but he will stay in Providence. From the Bruins blog (http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/).

troyboy
02-27-2011, 03:06 PM
I was at the game Saturday night and noticed that Kevin Beauregard did not play on senior night. As a matter of fact, he has not played very much at all. Has he been injured? I believe he was a Walk on that was added 4 years ago because we needed warm bodies thats not taking away from anything he has done but I believe SA showed incredable loyality keeping him on the team for 4 years...saturdays game was far to important to get that deep into your depth chart.

Ralph Baer
02-27-2011, 03:11 PM
I believe he was a Walk on that was added 4 years ago because we needed warm bodies thats not taking away from anything he has done but I believe SA showed incredable loyality keeping him on the team for 4 years...saturdays game was far to important to get that deep into your depth chart.

He definitely was a walkon. He played lacrosse as a freshman, and since RPI is a D-III school, he could not have done that if he was on an athletic scholarship.

DrDemento
02-27-2011, 03:24 PM
This is where things get more and more curious. We've arrived at a tough scenario here as far as NCAA's go. If we beat Gate, it does nothing for us (might not even help our RPI). If we lose then our RPI takes a hit though all of the other TUC stuff is unaffected. It might be worse for us to beat Colgate and then lose to Cornell than to lose to Colgate.

In other words, as far as the NCAA goes, next weekend is almost inconsequential. Obviously we want to win that series and I think we will. That would set up an all or nothing weekend at Lynah where a win would certainly representng progress and a loss really rubbing in the fact that we we're close but not quite there. If that series happens then I'll bet Stewart spends all weekend in Hanover;)!

Thanks JM-I had figured that the Colgate series could ot help us and could only hurt us. Probably a similar situation for most highly ranked PWR teams in the first round of any playoffs. The second round against cornell may really be for all the marbles-winning that series gets us to the NCAAs and losing drops us out of contention. Really made getting the bye even more important didn't it?

DrDemento
02-27-2011, 03:25 PM
He definitely was a walkon. He played lacroose as a freshman, and since RPI is a D-III school, he could not have done that if he was on an athletic scholarship.

And deserving of a lot of credit. Any boy that sticks with the program, practices faithfully, for four years but rarely gets to play deserves a lot of praise.

FlagDUDE08
02-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks JM-I had figured that the Colgate series could ot help us and could only hurt us. Probably a similar situation for most highly ranked PWR teams in the first round of any playoffs. The second round against cornell may really be for all the marbles-winning that series gets us to the NCAAs and losing drops us out of contention. Really made getting the bye even more important didn't it?

Actually, had we gotten the bye, we may have had to face Cornell anyway, and we would have had no way to control it.

DrDemento
02-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Actually, had we gotten the bye, we may have had to face Cornell anyway, and we would have had no way to control it.

Very True. But i would have liked such an important series to occur in Troy if possible.