X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Interesting note from Weaver in his preview article:
    http://recordhockey.blogspot.com/201...s-weekend.html

RPI has won four straight at Hobey Baker Rink by a combined score of 18-7 while Princeton has won the last three matches at the Field House 15-1. Huh.
    RPI Class of 2012
    Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Two articles by Ed Weaver in today's Record.
      "RPI's senior class tired of Houston Field House being a Tigers' den" http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
      "For some ECAC hockey teams, playoffs start now" http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
        Interesting note from Weaver in his preview article:
        http://recordhockey.blogspot.com/201...s-weekend.html

RPI has won four straight at Hobey Baker Rink by a combined score of 18-7 while Princeton has won the last three matches at the Field House 15-1. Huh.
        If you've been to Baker Rink you might not ever be surprised by any of the statistics. it is just a different place to play. The ice surface is not very good, the boards are uneven and there are weird caroms off them, it is of course frigid cold. I have been there numerous times and teams need to adjust their game there. Some teams do and are successful. For ome years we were horrible there. Although we won there back in the 80's with incredible teams, we still had trouble playing there. The past few years we have played that rink extremely well-I like to think it is the make up of our team and very good pre game preparation by our coach(who really does his homework).

As far as Princeton doing well in Troy-they have the kind of team that can just jump all over you early. They forecheck relentlesly often sending 3 men deep into the zone-if your defense has difficulty getting puck out past them quickly, they can just eat you up. This has been one of our weaknesses the past 3 years-we do not turn the puck up ice fast enough and against some teams that forecheck well, that means trouble. Our mision tonight-score early, get a lead and make Princeton play our style. We did indeed beat them once this year already-but not because we got off to an early start and not because we handled their early strong forecheck-we stayed in the game early because our goalie played exceptionally. We will need to do more this time.
        Last edited by DrDemento; 02-25-2011, 06:16 AM.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          I vote every day-hasn't seem to change things though. Our split vote seems to be hurting however.
          It appears that the same people are voting every day for the same candidates. You do see small shifts from time to time; however if other fans are doing the same thing we are then you won't see much changing, alas.

Agree on second point; if we were going to stuff the ballot box with Chicago-style voting, you think we'd pick one of the two and concentrate all the votes there.
          "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

If you've been to Baker Rink you might not ever be surprised by any of the statistics. it is just a different place to play. The ice surface is not very good, the boards are uneven and there are weird caroms off them, it is of course frigid cold. I have been there numerous times and teams need to adjust their game there. Some teams do and are successful. For ome years we were horrible there. Although we won there back in the 80's with incredible teams, we still had trouble playing there. The past few years we have played that rink extremely well-I like to think it is the make up of our team and very good pre game preparation by our coach(who really does his homework).

As far as Princeton doing well in Troy-they have the kind of team that can just jump all over you early. They forecheck relentlesly often sending 3 men deep into the zone-if your defense has difficulty getting puck out past them quickly, they can just eat you up. This has been one of our weaknesses the past 3 years-we do not turn the puck up ice fast enough and against some teams that forecheck well, that means trouble. Our mision tonight-score early, get a lead and make Princeton play our style. We did indeed beat them once this year already-but not because we got off to an early start and not because we handled their early strong forecheck-we stayed in the game early because our goalie played exceptionally. We will need to do more this time.
            The real reason is that you have been attending the games at Princeton and not in Troy.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If you've been to Baker Rink you might not ever be surprised by any of the statistics. it is just a different place to play. The ice surface is not very good, the boards are uneven and there are weird caroms off them... the kind of team that can just jump all over you early....
              Well if this is true, then maybe Seth should isntruct the rink staff at HFH to stop prepping the ice so well, and leave it rough and gouged...similar to the Cubs leaving the infield grass long at Wrigley...
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                Well if this is true, then maybe Seth should isntruct the rink staff at HFH to stop prepping the ice so well, and leave it rough and gouged...similar to the Cubs leaving the infield grass long at Wrigley...
                You would not believe the things coach Harkness used to have the field house staff do. There are stories of lights up above the visiting goalie suddenly not working well. Also, which ever direction the RPI team was skating-the fieldhouse doors behind them would often be open to allow the wind behind them to give them a little boost. And yes the ice surface was different depending on who was coming in to play us. It could be a little softer and mushier against speedy teams and rock hard and slick for bigger slow moving teams. Old Ned liked to win!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  The real reason is that you have been attending the games at Princeton and not in Troy.
                  I am superstitious about RPI games as you know. I don't have the exact statistics but i do know that our winning percentage is much higher when Jenny and I attend in person whether it be regular season, ECAC playoffs, Lake Placid or Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

Comment

I am superstitious about RPI games as you know. I don't have the exact statistics but i do know that our winning percentage is much higher when Jenny and I attend in person whether it be regular season, ECAC playoffs, Lake Placid or Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.
                    Aren't we 4-2 at the Joe? Not to mention, one of the three current D-I teams with a winning record against Michigan...

Comment

if you leave now you & Jenny can make it for the "puck drop"...snowing again, 4-8 expected (at 6" now?)...or take the train & I'll pick you up
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/hockey_2010-11/
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

http://www.hobeybakeraward.com/page/...vote-for-hobey

Comment

if anyone's planning on bringing signs for Senior Night, I am, Saturday is "Brrrrrruuuut's" birthday

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                              if you leave now you & Jenny can make it for the "puck drop"...snowing again, 4-8 expected (at 6" now?)...or take the train & I'll pick you up
                              Thanks for the offer-we miss the HFH and would love to-but today would be impossible. Hoping we can start making that trip next year though.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Aren't we 4-2 at the Joe? Not to mention, one of the three current D-I teams with a winning record against Michigan...
                                Jenny and I are 2-0 at the Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X