This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

So since it's a good chance RPI will be in, do you all have any druthers as to who you play in the first round? How about Union?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      So since it's a good chance RPI will be in, do you all have any druthers as to who you play in the first round? How about Union?
      No conference matchups in the first round...
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

So since it's a good chance RPI will be in, do you all have any druthers as to who you play in the first round?
        Whomever we get placed against.
        /lazy man's response
        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          ... I like the fact that if all the favorites win-we still have the chance to get in...
          Favorite according to who? Anyone issuing a declarative statement about who is or isn't a "favorite" - at least as far as the ECAC tourney is concerned - needs to have their head examined. This thing is a raging dumpster fire and someone just threw some old tires on it ....
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Favorite according to who?
            According to seeds.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            I know... I'm surprised none of the sites calculate all of the permutations and then gives a percentage from there.
            If someone wants to create a program to do this, WaP will gladly run the results and give the author 100% credit.
            Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

We're real lucky that the Last-10-Games factor was removed a few years ago. If we do sneak in, it wouldn't surprise me if the committee would reconsider using it for future years.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We've improved from #20 to #18 in the USCHO poll. We must have looked good in practice.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  We're real lucky that the Last-10-Games factor was removed a few years ago. If we do sneak in, it wouldn't surprise me if the committee would reconsider using it for future years.
                  I highly doubt it. Making the last 10 games more important than the games in October or November is extraordinarily arbitrary and it punishes teams in stronger conferences.
                  Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I may be wrong, but wasn't it "Last 16 Games" the metric used? It's been awhile since they've used that so I could very well be wrong.
                    North Dakota
                    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                      I may be wrong, but wasn't it "Last 16 Games" the metric used? It's been awhile since they've used that so I could very well be wrong.
                      Yes.

Comment

I visited this forum today for the first time. I am not surprised to find that RPI's chances have been thoroughly analyzed. I am still figuring that we can come up with a single, fully computed probability, (e.g. "It's 64.3%").

There are a lot of colleges and a lot of universities that play div I hockey. But there's only one POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE.

Comment

I'm thinking North Dakota. RPI's record this year against #1 nationally ranked teams is 1-0-0.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                            Yes.
                            Maybe my answer was in Hex.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                              If someone wants to create a program to do this, WaP will gladly run the results and give the author 100% credit.
                              Just finished my program. I estimate it will take a day or two to compute all the possibilities, but I'm running the likeliest outcomes (based on KRACH probabilities) first. Hopefully I'll have a data dump tomorrow to analyze, but so far things look quite promising for RPI.
                              RPI Class of 2012
                              Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                                Perhaps a better way is to use RPI's or Krach ratings to do the analysis but ... sticking with the 50/50 idea... if you were to just look at the ECAC... there would be a 50% chance that Dartmouth or Cornell loses 2 games with both scenarios working in our favor.
                                Using KRACH, I get a 20% probability that Cornell loses twice, and a 11% probability that Dartmouth loses twice. Those are pretty good unless at the same time, the result is that Cornell or Colgate wins the ECAC and claims one of the NCAA bids. Adjusting for that I'm seeing a net 25% chance that a Cornell or Dartmouth meltdown alone sends RPI to the tournament. But another strong combination is if Cornell beats Dartmouth, then loses to Yale (29%), there aren't many ways to beat that scenario.

If WM loses twice, that's a pretty certain ticket (38% chance).

It's looks tough to miss if UAA beats CC (47%).

Just from an hour of playing around, those look to me like the most important determinants. I confess that I did not look for any weird domino effects nor did I look at a Northeastern or UAA title run but they don't seem very likely. All that aside, the KRACH odds of at least ONE of those good things coming to pass and sending RPI to the NCAA is... 86%.

Check my math. Please carry forward all errors and give partial credit.
                                Last edited by RPI92; 03-15-2011, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X