Semifinal #1: Northeastern defeats Boston College
    Championship game: Northeastern defeats Merrimack

WCHA
    Play-in #2: Bemidji State defeats Minnesota-Duluth
    Play-in #1: Alaska-Anchorage defeats Colorado College
    Semifinal #2: Denver defeats Bemidji State
    Semifinal #1: North Dakota defeats Alaska-Anchorage
    Championship game: North Dakota defeats Denver
    Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      I'm not going to do this while at work, but assuming each team has an equal chance of winning each game in which they play, what is the probability that RPI will make the tournament?
      Good luck with that. Hope you have a good computer because the sample space is 524288 combinations - not including possible ties in the consolation games. Then you merely need to plug those combinations into the PWR generator.

Perhaps a better way is to use RPI's or Krach ratings to do the analysis but ... sticking with the 50/50 idea... if you were to just look at the ECAC... there would be a 50% chance that Dartmouth or Cornell loses 2 games with both scenarios working in our favor. Another way to think of it is in terms of who finishes 4th. If D or Cornell do then we are in great shape. If Yale or Colgate do then we need some help elsewhere. If Y is last we want Colgate to be first, If Colgate is last it probably doesn't matter much what the rest of the order is as Cornell stays a TUC and Dartmouth stays above us.

Shorthand: Probability = .5 + .5*all of the other scenarios (a number of which get us in also including favorites winning through in the other 3 conf).

After out late season swoon, the fact that our chances of getting in appear quite a bit better than a coin toss seems quite hard to believe. Yet there it is.

Comment

I ran a few "reasonable" outcomes and all came out with RPI at 14th or 15th in PWR.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
          I ran a few "reasonable" outcomes and all came out with RPI at 14th or 15th in PWR.
          To allow for a couple upsets in the finals I would feel a whole lot more comfortable if we could get to 13th. This is going to be a very nervous weekend in our house and for most of the posters on our thread. I remember posting more than a week ago about whether it would be more beneficial for us to lose to Colgate than to win-but I never thought that it could work out that way.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
            The #10 scenario, as sent to me by RHamilton:
            Wow. Flipped the Maine comparison by 0.0002. Congrats to RHamilton for having way too much time on his hands.
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
              Wow. Flipped the Maine comparison by 0.0002. Congrats to RHamilton for having way too much time on his hands.
              And Notre Dame takes a comparison away from UNH by .0001. I was stuck for a while, then I switched the AHA semi to Holy Cross over Air Force and it all fell in to place.
              RPI Class of 2012
              Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                To allow for a couple upsets in the finals I would feel a whole lot more comfortable if we could get to 13th. This is going to be a very nervous weekend in our house and for most of the posters on our thread. I remember posting more than a week ago about whether it would be more beneficial for us to lose to Colgate than to win-but I never thought that it could work out that way.
                I think, with the exception those that are convinced a smoke-filled room is used and that RPI doesn't have a prayer of going to the tournament simply because they lost in the first round of the league playoffs, all RPI fans will be watching the scoreboards nervously.

Comment

Here's the WaP analysis. Have at it.

http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/03/...y-week-10.html
                  Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                    Good luck with that. Hope you have a good computer because the sample space is 524288 combinations - not including possible ties in the consolation games. Then you merely need to plug those combinations into the PWR generator.

Perhaps a better way is to use RPI's or Krach ratings to do the analysis but ... sticking with the 50/50 idea... if you were to just look at the ECAC... there would be a 50% chance that Dartmouth or Cornell loses 2 games with both scenarios working in our favor. Another way to think of it is in terms of who finishes 4th. If D or Cornell do then we are in great shape. If Yale or Colgate do then we need some help elsewhere. If Y is last we want Colgate to be first, If Colgate is last it probably doesn't matter much what the rest of the order is as Cornell stays a TUC and Dartmouth stays above us.

Shorthand: Probability = .5 + .5*all of the other scenarios (a number of which get us in also including favorites winning through in the other 3 conf).

After out late season swoon, the fact that our chances of getting in appear quite a bit better than a coin toss seems quite hard to believe. Yet there it is.
                    I know... I'm surprised none of the sites calculate all of the permutations and then gives a percentage from there.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                      Here's the WaP analysis. Have at it.

http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/03/...y-week-10.html
                      Great summary. I am still fuzzy on the Cornell Dartmouth game and would love to make it so they both lose that game. I like the fact that if all the favorites win-we still have the chance to get in. It would be exceptionally nice to get as high as a 12th seed to avoid playing a number 1 seed in the first round-but honestly I could care less. Just squeaking in would be a great feeling. After the 4 years our seniors have had i Troy-I think it would be a wonderful gift to them to be included in an NCAA Tournament field and would certainly appreciate seeing Chase get at least one NCAA tournament goal to his credit.

Comment

Great summary. I am still fuzzy on the Cornell Dartmouth game and would love to make it so they both lose that game. I like the fact that if all the favorites win-we still have the chance to get in. It would be exceptionally nice to get as high as a 12th seed to avoid playing a number 1 seed in the first round-but honestly I could care less. Just squeaking in would be a great feeling. After the 4 years our seniors have had i Troy-I think it would be a wonderful gift to them to be included in an NCAA Tournament field and would certainly appreciate seeing Chase get at least one NCAA tournament goal to his credit.
                        Not the mention the potentially unique scenario of giving Chase his first and last NCAA games at home. We still have three very difficult steps before that, of course.

As for Cornell / Dartmouth, I wonder if there will be a figure skating exposé the day before and they'll have problems with the paint on the ice...

Comment

I think it would be a wonderful gift to them to be included in an NCAA Tournament field and would certainly appreciate seeing Chase get at least one NCAA tournament goal to his credit.
                          Personally, I want the boys in the tournament so that Chase can tie / break the NCAA record for GWGs in a season. Yes, there are a number of steps that have to occur before that point, but I think that that's my final goal (other than the NCAA championship, obviously).
                          Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                            Personally, I want the boys in the tournament so that Chase can tie / break the NCAA record for GWGs in a season. Yes, there are a number of steps that have to occur before that point, but I think that that's my final goal (other than the NCAA championship, obviously).
                            Then let it be an OT game winner!

Comment

After the 4 years our seniors have had i Troy-I think it would be a wonderful gift to them to be included in an NCAA Tournament field
                              Hear, hear.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder. I was also at the 1994 game and listened to the 1995 game. Lots of scoreboard watching. I am rooting for Chase to get an NCAA appearance and goals. Hard to realize last NCAA goal was 1985. I watched 1985 on TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X