PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

DrDemento
03-17-2011, 09:50 AM
It's one thing when I read that on tLodge threads from liberal-art types, but RPI is a tech school. :D Did you say that after your first week as a freshman also? :p

Granted, it would have been quite tedious doing the calculations on a sliderule, or even on RPI's IBM 360, back in our days. :D

It was an IBM 360 model 50 to be exact and took up the entire Amos Eaton building I think. I had taken 2 years of calculus before entering RPI and thought i was pretty sharp having obtained an 800 on the Math SAT. But Dr. Dis Maly covered everything I knew in Calculus I in about 2 weeks and made me realize that Mathematics at RPI was quite a bit more difficult than I had imagined. My guidance counselor in high school was correct-everything at RPI was difficult including phys ed(althoug I did pass the swimming test). I took one course in Bio Physics with Dr William Johnson(chief of biology section)-where I honestly have to admit I did not understand one single thing we covered. The best thing about it all-getting through RPI made medical School an absolute breeze. There wasn't a single medical school course that could rival sitting through a chemistry course taught by Dr Bunce!!(although I would gladly go back to sit through any lecture by Harry Meiners in physics)

DrDemento
03-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Cox-Clark-Hislop were quite a load, weren't they? I couldn't keep up with the RPI skaters out for the sequence, but weren't #2 & 5 (Mike Prpich & Gerry Beauclair) out there for all three goals? Red hung on to win in OT.

A few years later, when we played Cornell in the playoffs (was that at #6 @ #3 pairing), we fell behind by 4 goals early but came storming back to tie it, only to lose 8-6. Cornell played their #2 goalie (VanderMark) becuase he'd played well against us earlier in the year... they put Napier in and the other red hung on to win. Last game for Dino Serra, Pat Hahn, Rick Smith, Rick Ens, Doug Elliott, Louie Basque (did LB play much that year?) We were sparked by Ian Harrison, a goalie who transferred in from W Michigan (?) who won his first game... against Clarkson (Brian Shileds, Bill Blackwood, Dave Taylor) in first night of our Tourney! Signs of things to come... '78 home playoff game and the disappointing loss to BC.

When we won it all in 1985 in Detroit-Jenny and I celebrated by opening a bottle of Louis XIII Cognac. It was well worth it. If we get into the Tournament this year-and score a goal(something I haven't seen since George Servinis in 1985)-we have a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1959 ready to crack. We would open our bottle of 1958 but the label was designed by Salvitore Dali and i just can't bring myself to do that (unless of course we somehow get to the final 4).:D

fr joe
03-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I recall listening to it also. It was RPI's last victory will I was a grad student. IIRC Smith's two goals in that game were his only two that year.

Are you saying that Cutts only played one game in Boston? I don't recall that Ron Skibin played much at all that year.

Ralph, I believe Cutts played both games in Boston... (I was listening on WRPI, was a freshman then.)

JCrawford
03-17-2011, 10:49 AM
The CC game is on Fox College Sports-Central, which is nationally available on Comcast (via the "Sports Entertainment" package or similar).

Time Warner Digital Cable here in the Capital District will have both the Bemidji State/UMD and Alaska-Anchorage/CC games on tonight, on channel 671 (I think you need to subscribe to the Sports Tier to get that channel).

IMO
03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Tasty tidbits from the RPI hockey Pu Pu Platter ...

1) If RPI had played better (even just .500) at the end of the season, just how high might our seeding have been? At one point Ed Weaver wrote that RPI had to go something like 7-2 down the stretch. Did he mean 2-7 ? ;)
2) Why did RPI play so poorly down the stretch (and for the second straight year)? How big a factor was injuries and the flu?
3) How big a difference maker has York been? Without him, is RPI over .500 ?
4) If RPI makes the NCAA, will it be the longest lay-off between games for an NCAA team before the tourament? How much rust need to be scraped off?
5) Overall, the consolation seems to hurt the ECAC's chance of getting an extra team into the NCAA tourney. Some teams are better off NOT playing. Let's "go" Red!
6) Does Cornell drop out as being a TUC if it loses the ECAC consolation game to Colgate?
7) If RPI makes the NCAA tourney ... and scores a goal, who will be their first NCAA goal scorer since George Servinis? Chase?
8) Everytime RPI has scored an NCAA tournament goal in the last 25 years, it has won the NCAA championship!
9) If RPI draws BC, the Red finally gets a chance to avenge :) their March 7, 1978 7-6 overtime loss to BC (http://www.augenblick.org/rpi/h_04yr.html) in the ECAC quarter finals. RPI led very late in the game when BC tied it and then Joey Mullen scored in OT. RPI had been on a roll (7 straight wins) and had ECAC home ice. The Field House crowd was deafening but after the goal you could hear a pin drop. BC eventually made it to the NCAA championship game (and lost to BU). I believe that BC has played RPI only once in the last decade and that game was in Minnesota. Why doesn't RPI play BC more often?

1. 2 or 3
2. Injuries hurt us all season long-especially at the end. Flu huge factor also!
3. York huge factor!
4. If they make it the lay-off is a huge benefit. Allows players to heal and get healthy.
5. Let's go Red!
6. Not sure leave it to the geek squad to figure out.
7. Has to be Polacek and game winner also!
8. Love that statistic!
9. Defer to coaching staff.

Ralph Baer
03-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Cox-Clark-Hislop were quite a load, weren't they? I couldn't keep up with the RPI skaters out for the sequence on that You Tube video, but weren't #2 & 5 (Mike Prpich & Gerry Beauclair) out there for all three goals? Red hung on to win in OT. (Rick Smith)

A few years later, when we played Cornell in the playoffs (was that a #6 @ #3 pairing?), we fell behind by 4 goals early but came storming back to tie it, only to lose 8-6. Cornell played their #2 goalie (David VanderMark) because he'd played well against us earlier in the year... they put Mark Napier in and the other red hung on to win. Last game for Dino Serra, Pat Hahn, Rick Smith, Rick Ens, Doug Elliott, Louie Basque (did LB play much that year, can't recall?) We were sparked by Ian Harrison, a goalie who transferred in from W Michigan (?) who won his first game... against Clarkson (Brian Shields, Bill Blackwood, Dave Taylor) in first night of our Tourney! Very RPI performance in the tourney: We beat Clarkson the first night, then hung on vs weaker Yale & Penn teams the last two nights! (Kepler's 3rd Law) Signs of things to come... '78 home playoff game and the disappointing loss to BC.

2 was Rick Marsh and 5 Brent Goss that year.

Ralph Baer
03-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Ralph, I believe Cutts played both games in Boston... (I was listening on WRPI, was a freshman then.)

I would have thought so, but you wrote that the UNH game was Cutts' next-to-last appearance. That was why I asked.

jmhusker
03-17-2011, 12:38 PM
RHamilton's work is done: and I want to thank him for giving WaP the exclusive on his results. We've linked to them here.

Hacking the PairWise (http://www.withoutapeer.com/2011/03/hacking-pairwise.html)

Feel free to spread this to any non-ivory towers you like.
Nice job T&R.

Although KRACH says 80% for us, clearly it's underestimating a couple of the lesser-rans who have improved of late. Northeastern has a 5% chance according to Krach. Anyone who has seen them take it to BU and BC lately would probably put their chances up there in the 20% range (40% against BC and 50/50 in the final). Colgate is obviously a different team now too. I'd throw down a few bucks if someone gave me 30-1 odds against them winning two games. Connecticut is another interesting team. They are only 7.8% likely but have won a few of late and the regional is right down the road from them for added incentive. Add all the Krach based odds together and there is only a 15% chance of one of these three getting in. I'd say the odds are probably more like 40% that we see one of these teams win two and get in.

As far as tonight goes.. the AA/CC game is an interesting one. If CC wins, our RPI goes up and we nearly flip our PWR with Maine. If they lose, our RPI suffers but we flip the PWR with CC. This is almost a no-lose situation for us though a CC loss is obviously much better one since we jump over them for good. It's a good feeling though to know that no matter what happens our position seems to improve. I think a BS upset helps a tiny bit too - so long as they lose in a subsequent round.

DrDemento
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Thats the problem with all of these statistics-they do ot take into account a hot team that has just put it all together in the past couple weeks. That being said-I think we get into the tournament as a number 14 seed. Let's Go Red (and anyone else who by winning helps us)

sshablak
03-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Minn Deluth game is on at 4:30

RHamilton
03-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Here's some more stats for each of the 4 possible outcomes tonight. These are using KRACH from today rather than what would be the KRACH tomorrow, but they're good enough for estimates. I'll re-KRACH tomorrow once we know which of these 4 outcomes has occurred.

UMD and CC win - 36.82% odds of occurring - RPI is at 69.5260%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/md-cc_3-17-11_15-22.html
Bemidji and CC win - 16.60% odds of occurring - RPI is at 68.8858%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/bm-cc_3-17-11_15-15.html
Bemidji and AA win - 14.47% odds of occurring - RPI is at 95.9073%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/bm-aa_3-17-11_15-09.html
UMD and AA win - 32.10% odds of occurring - RPI is at 94.8485%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/md-aa_3-17-11_15-26.html

Very interesting that if CC wins, we want UMD to win, however if AA wins, we want Bemidiji.

FlagDUDE08
03-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Here's some more stats for each of the 4 possible outcomes tonight. These are using KRACH from today rather than what would be the KRACH tomorrow, but they're good enough for estimates. I'll re-KRACH tomorrow once we know which of these 4 outcomes has occurred.

UMD and CC win - 36.82% odds of occurring - RPI is at 69.5260%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/md-cc_3-17-11_15-22.html
Bemidji and CC win - 16.60% odds of occurring - RPI is at 68.8858%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/bm-cc_3-17-11_15-15.html
Bemidji and AA win - 14.47% odds of occurring - RPI is at 95.9073%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/bm-aa_3-17-11_15-09.html
UMD and AA win - 32.10% odds of occurring - RPI is at 94.8485%
http://uploads.cuttlefishtech.com/md-aa_3-17-11_15-26.html

Very interesting that if CC wins, we want UMD to win, however if AA wins, we want Bemidiji.

To cut a long story short... LET'S GO ALASKA!!!

rvd5star69
03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
MD up 1-0. Waiting for top 10 hobey finalists to be named.

jericho
03-17-2011, 04:00 PM
At least Mark McGuire readily admits that his head spins. ;)
http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/really-smart-rpi-student-engineers-ncaa-chances-really-good/8293/#comments

Ralph Baer
03-17-2011, 04:02 PM
It looks like we root for AA and don't care much about the first game.

Ralph Baer
03-17-2011, 04:06 PM
At least Mark McGuire readily admits that his head spins. ;)
http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/really-smart-rpi-student-engineers-ncaa-chances-really-good/8293/#comments

That's interesting. It sounds like RHamilton's research was part of an RPI release. It didn't show up either online or in my mailbox yet.

realet
03-17-2011, 04:44 PM
That's interesting. It sounds like RHamilton's research was part of an RPI release. It didn't show up either online or in my mailbox yet.

Was sent to media only. There were elements of the release that were not for public consumption - that is, the public shouldn't/wouldn't care.

troyboy
03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
In honor of Gordie Clark being named to the ECAC 50th Anniversary Team (http://unh.prestosports.com/sports/mice/2010-11/releases/20110315hpiwgk),
and in recognition of the beginnings of UNH's Playoff Quest many years ago,
I have posted a video of Gordie Clark, Jamie Hislop and Cliff Cox scoring 3 goals in 1 minute and 45 seconds in the 1974 ECAC Quarterfinals against RPI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUEHAUJsKDE
Some of you veterans will remember that RPI won the game.:( I remember that team well.Gordie Clark is not only one the top 50 players but that was a top 5 mullet !!!

vicb
03-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Less than 24 hours to get your picks in to the ECAC Pick the Playoffs. Need to be in by 4:30 on Friday. Lots of people MIA.

95virago
allnightwong
apple2k
BigRedBrouhaha
bothman
Brett Gobe
Brian Sullivan
cnor79
cudmud
Dutchfan
hockeyplayer1015
jmhusker
johnk
justlookin'
Maine-iac
number 16
NYHockeyguy
Onion Man
Puckie14
redrocker
REDRocket
Rhamilton
Rhett
Rjm7272
rockandrock44
RPIHFH
rpihockeyfan13
rvd5star69
slu fan
StayPuftMMcu
TchrBill
Union93
uniondutch21
UnionPuckLove
UnionTDX04
Wholin1
bcarlisle
unhpuckfan2001

troyboy
03-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Yes it was. Going into the game, UNH was ranked #1 in the nation for the first time in the school's history. Our excuse for the loss was that goalie Cap Raeder (later played for the Hartford Whalers in the old WHA) had a severe leg injury, was ineffective, and had to leave the game later in the second period. In reality, RPI played terrific in a very hostile environment. Hope you enjoy the scenes from the old Snively Arena. Thanks so much....thats was a great trip dowm memory lane.Went to Snivley many times to see the 'tute play....back in the good old Coach Holt days...what a great barn that was !!!!