PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

RHamilton
02-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Interesting note from Weaver in his preview article:
http://recordhockey.blogspot.com/2011/02/playoff-type-hockey-this-weekend.html

RPI has won four straight at Hobey Baker Rink by a combined score of 18-7 while Princeton has won the last three matches at the Field House 15-1. Huh.

Ralph Baer
02-25-2011, 03:50 AM
Two articles by Ed Weaver in today's Record.
"RPI's senior class tired of Houston Field House being a Tigers' den" http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2011/02/25/sports/doc4d67420e00efa622559553.txt?viewmode=fullstory
"For some ECAC hockey teams, playoffs start now" http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2011/02/25/sports/doc4d67425cb6c16659287086.txt?viewmode=fullstory

DrDemento
02-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Interesting note from Weaver in his preview article:
http://recordhockey.blogspot.com/2011/02/playoff-type-hockey-this-weekend.html

RPI has won four straight at Hobey Baker Rink by a combined score of 18-7 while Princeton has won the last three matches at the Field House 15-1. Huh.

If you've been to Baker Rink you might not ever be surprised by any of the statistics. it is just a different place to play. The ice surface is not very good, the boards are uneven and there are weird caroms off them, it is of course frigid cold. I have been there numerous times and teams need to adjust their game there. Some teams do and are successful. For ome years we were horrible there. Although we won there back in the 80's with incredible teams, we still had trouble playing there. The past few years we have played that rink extremely well-I like to think it is the make up of our team and very good pre game preparation by our coach(who really does his homework).

As far as Princeton doing well in Troy-they have the kind of team that can just jump all over you early. They forecheck relentlesly often sending 3 men deep into the zone-if your defense has difficulty getting puck out past them quickly, they can just eat you up. This has been one of our weaknesses the past 3 years-we do not turn the puck up ice fast enough and against some teams that forecheck well, that means trouble. Our mision tonight-score early, get a lead and make Princeton play our style. We did indeed beat them once this year already-but not because we got off to an early start and not because we handled their early strong forecheck-we stayed in the game early because our goalie played exceptionally. We will need to do more this time.

FreshFish
02-25-2011, 07:31 AM
I vote every day-hasn't seem to change things though. Our split vote seems to be hurting however.

It appears that the same people are voting every day for the same candidates. You do see small shifts from time to time; however if other fans are doing the same thing we are then you won't see much changing, alas.

Agree on second point; if we were going to stuff the ballot box with Chicago-style voting, you think we'd pick one of the two and concentrate all the votes there.

Ralph Baer
02-25-2011, 08:09 AM
If you've been to Baker Rink you might not ever be surprised by any of the statistics. it is just a different place to play. The ice surface is not very good, the boards are uneven and there are weird caroms off them, it is of course frigid cold. I have been there numerous times and teams need to adjust their game there. Some teams do and are successful. For ome years we were horrible there. Although we won there back in the 80's with incredible teams, we still had trouble playing there. The past few years we have played that rink extremely well-I like to think it is the make up of our team and very good pre game preparation by our coach(who really does his homework).

As far as Princeton doing well in Troy-they have the kind of team that can just jump all over you early. They forecheck relentlesly often sending 3 men deep into the zone-if your defense has difficulty getting puck out past them quickly, they can just eat you up. This has been one of our weaknesses the past 3 years-we do not turn the puck up ice fast enough and against some teams that forecheck well, that means trouble. Our mision tonight-score early, get a lead and make Princeton play our style. We did indeed beat them once this year already-but not because we got off to an early start and not because we handled their early strong forecheck-we stayed in the game early because our goalie played exceptionally. We will need to do more this time.

The real reason is that you have been attending the games at Princeton and not in Troy. ;)

Wicked Slappaahs
02-25-2011, 09:47 AM
If you've been to Baker Rink you might not ever be surprised by any of the statistics. it is just a different place to play. The ice surface is not very good, the boards are uneven and there are weird caroms off them... the kind of team that can just jump all over you early....

Well if this is true, then maybe Seth should isntruct the rink staff at HFH to stop prepping the ice so well, and leave it rough and gouged...similar to the Cubs leaving the infield grass long at Wrigley...:D

DrDemento
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Well if this is true, then maybe Seth should isntruct the rink staff at HFH to stop prepping the ice so well, and leave it rough and gouged...similar to the Cubs leaving the infield grass long at Wrigley...:D

You would not believe the things coach Harkness used to have the field house staff do. There are stories of lights up above the visiting goalie suddenly not working well.;) Also, which ever direction the RPI team was skating-the fieldhouse doors behind them would often be open to allow the wind behind them to give them a little boost.:eek: And yes the ice surface was different depending on who was coming in to play us. It could be a little softer and mushier against speedy teams and rock hard and slick for bigger slow moving teams. Old Ned liked to win!

DrDemento
02-25-2011, 10:41 AM
The real reason is that you have been attending the games at Princeton and not in Troy. ;)

I am superstitious about RPI games as you know. I don't have the exact statistics but i do know that our winning percentage is much higher when Jenny and I attend in person whether it be regular season, ECAC playoffs, Lake Placid or Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.:D

FlagDUDE08
02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
I am superstitious about RPI games as you know. I don't have the exact statistics but i do know that our winning percentage is much higher when Jenny and I attend in person whether it be regular season, ECAC playoffs, Lake Placid or Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.:D

Aren't we 4-2 at the Joe? Not to mention, one of the three current D-I teams with a winning record against Michigan... :D

turk181
02-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I am superstitious about RPI games as you know. I don't have the exact statistics but i do know that our winning percentage is much higher when Jenny and I attend in person whether it be regular season, ECAC playoffs, Lake Placid or Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.:D if you leave now you & Jenny can make it for the "puck drop"...snowing again, 4-8 expected (at 6" now?)...or take the train & I'll pick you up :D

turk181
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/hockey_2010-11/

turk181
02-25-2011, 11:02 AM
http://www.hobeybakeraward.com/page/show/191347-vote-for-hobey

turk181
02-25-2011, 11:09 AM
if anyone's planning on bringing signs for Senior Night, I am, Saturday is "Brrrrrruuuut's" birthday

DrDemento
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
if you leave now you & Jenny can make it for the "puck drop"...snowing again, 4-8 expected (at 6" now?)...or take the train & I'll pick you up :D

Thanks for the offer-we miss the HFH and would love to-but today would be impossible. Hoping we can start making that trip next year though.

DrDemento
02-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Aren't we 4-2 at the Joe? Not to mention, one of the three current D-I teams with a winning record against Michigan... :D

Jenny and I are 2-0 at the Joe:D

Section 22
02-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Any chance puck drop gets moved to 7:30 due to weather? If so, where can one find that info?

babo
02-25-2011, 02:22 PM
if anyone's planning on bringing signs for Senior Night, I am, Saturday is "Brrrrrruuuut's" birthday

The Hubster and I will be there with homemade adult beverage to share...if Bruts is 21, I might donate some 'birthday cheer'...hope to see you and many of the Faithful there!!!! Go Engineers!!!!

AspyDad
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
From Kevin Beattie twitter Page

"Bergin back in the lineup for Engineers. So is Lee. Polacek questionable. Lines to be posted on RPI athletics site shortly."

Rut ro Shaggy!!!!!

NYhockeyguy
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Any chance puck drop gets moved to 7:30 due to weather? If so, where can one find that info?

with things calming down i dont see that happening, but if it were the case im sure ecac website or rpiathletics.com would post it.

NYhockeyguy
02-25-2011, 02:52 PM
From Kevin Beattie twitter Page

"Bergin back in the lineup for Engineers. So is Lee. Polacek questionable. Lines to be posted on RPI athletics site shortly."

Rut ro Shaggy!!!!!
lines are up he seems to be listed as if hes going to dress and be cycled through

http://rpiathletics.com/documents/2010/12/19/2010-11MHKYLineChart121910.pdf?id=956