X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

According to the 'vote for Hobey' website:

"Phase I of Fan Voting is over.

"When Phase II begins, users will be able to vote for their favorite Hobey Baker candidate once every 24 hours. You may vote as many times as you like. When online voting closes, the votes are tabulated and the results carry a weight in the final selection process of your Hobey finalists and winner!"

Anyone have a clue when Phase II begins?

It looks like Chase is # 2 and Allen is # 3 in the first round of fan voting....

We do have some techies running banks of computers set up to vote daily, right? (though maybe I shouldn't joke like that in today's world....)
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

I'm inclined to agree that, even if RPI were to finish 15th in the PairWise Rankings, they would not get into the tournament this year.

Right now, the PWR shows Western Michigan and Colorado College tied for 14th and BU and RPI tied for 16th. If RPI were to finish 15th and get a bid to the tournament, that presumably would mean that at least two of those other three teams would be left out.

I know the PWR, up to now, has an unblemished record of infallibility in predicting which teams receive at-large bids to the tournament.

But I have a terrible suspicion that if RPI winds up 15th this year, that record will be unblemished no more.

I can't see the selection committee being willing to face the howls of indignation that would arise from HE, CCHA, and/or WCHA adherents if RPI, after going 2-6-1 in their last nine games and, as rjohntute pointed out, losing three times to the 12th-place team in the process, were named to the tournament while BU, WM, and/or CC were left out.

Just my opinion. If it's any consolation to anybody, past history has shown my opinions to be a heck of a lot more fallible than the PWR has ever been.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
        I'm inclined to agree that, even if RPI were to finish 15th in the PairWise Rankings, they would not get into the tournament this year.

Right now, the PWR shows Western Michigan and Colorado College tied for 14th and BU and RPI tied for 16th. If RPI were to finish 15th and get a bid to the tournament, that presumably would mean that at least two of those other three teams would be left out.

I know the PWR, up to now, has an unblemished record of infallibility in predicting which teams receive at-large bids to the tournament.

But I have a terrible suspicion that if RPI winds up 15th this year, that record will be unblemished no more.

I can't see the selection committee being willing to face the howls of indignation that would arise from HE, CCHA, and/or WCHA adherents if RPI, after going 2-6-1 in their last nine games and, as rjohntute pointed out, losing three times to the 12th-place team in the process, were named to the tournament while BU, WM, and/or CC were left out.

Just my opinion. If it's any consolation to anybody, past history has shown my opinions to be a heck of a lot more fallible than the PWR has ever been.
        hopefully they will consider what our record was against teams ranked above us in the PWR. If they do that we could be OK.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          You don't appear to have a very solid understanding on how the PWR works.

It also would mean that at least two of those other three teams had done something between now and then to put themselves out of the tournament.

That is because it is the process that the selection committee uses to choose the field. It's like the concept of wedding rings having an unblemished record of infallibility in predicting which people are married.

There would be no "howls of indignation" that would be worth listening to, since the selection process and the PairWise Rankings are rooted in simple math.

Opinions are like something else that I forgot, everyone has one.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            According to the 'vote for Hobey' website:

"Phase I of Fan Voting is over.

"When Phase II begins, users will be able to vote for their favorite Hobey Baker candidate once every 24 hours. You may vote as many times as you like. When online voting closes, the votes are tabulated and the results carry a weight in the final selection process of your Hobey finalists and winner!"

Anyone have a clue when Phase II begins?

It looks like Chase is # 2 and Allen is # 3 in the first round of fan voting....

We do have some techies running banks of computers set up to vote daily, right? (though maybe I shouldn't joke like that in today's world....)
            I don't think that we will be able to vote for the top 10 in the last round, but rather the top 10 in the entire voting which includes a minuscule percentage allocated to the fan vote. Than gain, I have been known to be wrong before.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
              That is because it is the process that the selection committee uses to choose the field. It's like the concept of wedding rings having an unblemished record of infallibility in predicting which people are married.
              Unmarried people have been known to check into motels wearing cheap wedding rings. (Granted that people probably don't care about appearances much anymore.) Besides for that, I agree with your post.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                hopefully they will consider what our record was against teams ranked above us in the PWR. If they do that we could be OK.
                In the sense that it is factored into the PWR, that is correct. The PWR is supposed to eliminate the smoked-filled room, which it has done admirably, although one could argue that there are better ways of doing so. Either specifically including or excluding these games would not follow.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  We do like to celibrate things here on the thread-like when RB gets to 1,000,000 posts.
                  Or a 1,000,000 years old !!!!!!
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Unmarried people have been known to check into motels wearing cheap wedding rings. ...
                    Anyone seen my wife? .... Haaa...
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      WOW!!!! I thought it might be a little slow on the board after the weekend, hahahahahahhahah. Took me 3 cups of coffee to get thru about 24 hrs. of posts! Anyone else a little disturbed with the increase for next years season tix prices? IIRC, 2 yrs. ago I paid $144.....last year, $165....next year? $228!....and the beat goes on. ...
                      Are you effin' kidding me? For real? A $63 increase?? Geezuz...I guess we figured out how they're paying for the new scoreboard.. Nothing like whacking the currently deflated faithful in the middle of a economic and psychological depression -- oh sorry -- "prolonged recession". Not happy.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        I was sent this article in the middle of the season from someone and did not want to bring to the board's attention in mid season but in light of our discussion of yesterday. In Feb he was on short list for MSU job. Ultimately, I believe Gwoz will takes this position and Seth will stay but let's not forget that our fearless leader is highly respected and coveted. See attached.

http://www.greenandwhite.com/article...1/GW/102010328
                        There's been a lot of chatter out there about Seth and MSU....Nate Leaman has also been mentioned in a few "short list" blog posts. I for one do not think Gwoz would leave DU for MSU.

Comment

I hope this didn't contribute to the 2-6-1 finish.

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                          I was sent this article in the middle of the season from someone and did not want to bring to the board's attention in mid season but in light of our discussion of yesterday. In Feb he was on short list for MSU job. Ultimately, I believe Gwoz will takes this position and Seth will stay but let's not forget that our fearless leader is highly respected and coveted. See attached.

http://www.greenandwhite.com/article...1/GW/102010328

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                            The renovation plan was still in place prior to Coach Appert's arrival. If Phases 1 and 2 took the place of Phases 3 and 4, what are Phases 3 and 4?
                            My point was when you read about the plans for ECAV..there was only obtuse mention of renovations to HFH without any detail whatsoever as to when they would occur. In fact when I asked RPI administrators -- who were campaigning for donations -- when work on HFH might occur, I was greeted by a blank stare hemming and hawwing. Then Seth and Knowlton show up and its a done deal. I choose to believe that wasn't coincidental. Obviously you think otherwise.

Comment

• We are now tied 16th with Maine in the pwr.
                              Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                              My point was when you read about the plans for ECAV..there was only obtuse mention of renovations to HFH without any detail whatsoever as to when they would occur. In fact when I asked RPI administrators -- who were campaigning for donations -- when work on HFH might occur, I was greeted by a blank stare hemming and hawwing. Then Seth and Knowlton show up and its a done deal. I choose to believe that wasn't coincidental. Obviously you think otherwise.
                              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Less than 13 hours to go to get your picks in. You have until 7PM toknight

Contestant
                                95virago
                                Brian Sullivan
                                burgie12
                                cnor79
                                hockeyplayer1015
                                jmhusker
                                johnk
                                Maine-iac
                                Onion Man
                                PutItBackOn
                                redrocker
                                Rhamilton
                                rockandrock44
                                slu fan
                                StayPuftMMcu
                                unionbob
                                UnionPuckLove
                                UnionTDX04
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X