X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    That it was moved up to Phases 1 (locker rooms) & 2 (facade, scoreboard, paint, lighting) is a direct result of the head coach.
    The renovation plan was still in place prior to Coach Appert's arrival. If Phases 1 and 2 took the place of Phases 3 and 4, what are Phases 3 and 4?
    Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
      I don't understand your point. HEA is not less of an example, however, my post was in reference to a format where all teams make the playoffs. The CCHA had the same format as HEA, as a matter of fact, so did the ECAC. When the ECAC changed, the CCHA followed. This format would not work in HEA since there are only 10 teams.
      The CCHA is not exactly the same since they now have only 11 teams.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        Nice to have peace and quiet again. Now let's just keep our fingers crossed that all the things that have to happen to get us into the NCAA field happen as we need them to. It is a very long shot-but you never know.
        Making the NCAA would be poetic justice for this season... and it seems quite possible from where I'm sitting. Quinni is playing well and 2 wins by them will knock the Big Red out of the TUC, greatly improving our TUC record. If Dartmouth wins both games this weekend and then proceeds to lose the semis and runner up game then we flip the comparison with them. Merrimack will knock off Maine at Lawler this weekend and NE just might take it to BU too. If all of that happens and the titles in the big 4 conferences all go to top teams then we just might be sitting in 15th when it's all over.

Seems to me that we've learned an interesting scheduling strategy this year. Play the weak members of the big leagues in OOC games and beat them. Sooner or later those same teams will upset some teams in their own conferences, flipping the COP our way (thanks BG). We really aren't even a top 20 team right now IMO, but the season is long and wins in 2010 count just as much as wins in 2011.

Seems as though the early departures worked out as predicted... the engineers suffered and our "one and done" boys have shown that another year in college might have done them a lot of good. Hope that the incoming frosh are as good as predicted. I like the idea of Malchuk as C next year. JFK was a warrior but hard work isn't always a substitute for talent. We played our best stretch this year when he was on the sidelines. Although he'll make a good coach or CEO some day, I really think that our D will be much better next year with the other 6. The big question is whether York is back or not. That could be the difference between a bye and a middling campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
          Scrooge - you actually just made me laugh out loud. I think that Im about the only one who thinks that I am at all rational ! Actually, after having coached for so long and having had the opportunity to be influenced by some individuals at the highest level of this sport who i can honestly say that I am a better person for having met, has given me some perspective. My best teams, the best kids, and the one that I am still associated and involved with even now that they are in college or graduated after having coached them as mites at 6-8 years old, are exactly the kind of kids that I see here. Its the kind of long term program and consistency that I see being built, and the kind of closeness and comeraderie that most never experience. they are the kind of kids that you die to have on your team, regardless of outcome, and the kind that everyone wants to be associated with because they are winners. We may have some losses in hockey and who knows what next year will bring, but I'm praying that my oldest son gets admitted and my youngest develops the type of attitude and personality that would be desired in this group. Like I have said, this program is inches away from being scary for a long long time. If people get lost in a 2 overtime loss to Colgate or the bit of slide the last few weeks, then shame on them. I am still proud of these kids and this program and in calling myself associated with it, than upset over how things have apparently ended for them this season. You know, I have always told kids when I coached, generally with their parents in the locker room listening, that they as hockey players are different. They work harder than others, complain less than others, are committed to being their personal best and yet doing it all for a team because teams succeed. I would also tell them that their parents would never understand because they have never palyed the game and dont really know what it takes. Playing this sport is a microcosm (sp?) of life in that you can work harder and do all the right things and not succeed - and its not about wins, its about how you come back and the determination to be the best that you can and committed to being better than you can be. I see that here with this program. We have incredibly positive people and influences here. Im sticking with this program and the people involved in it. They are great people and as I have said people I want my kids involved with and that I am a better person for having met. Others arent happy - thats ok, and honestly to be expected. Thats why they are not part of the program. Its unfortunate that people focus on a lost series or not making some tournament this year for what is really going on and happening with this program. I for one am ok that we still fly under the radar a bit - helps me understand who's really part of the team and who's just along for the ride. Hope to meet all the true fans in due course.
          Although I don't make many comments, I always read the comments that are being made, and thanks to Ralph, Dr. D and many others I have learned much about hockey and especially RPI hockey. I just want to thank you for this comment and the prior comments. Your insight regarding the team and their coaches confirms my feelings that our players are being developed into good hockey players and even more important good and honorable men. I would, also, like to thank Tom for his "The Dream" article in WAP. It kind of says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot the Puck View Post
            I would, also, like to thank Tom for his "The Dream" article in WAP. It kind of says it all.
            That article was wonderful, and a great help keeping my spirits up after attending Sunday's game. I would, however, like to submit to the jury that Allen York be named as Hero #3 for the series. Although it unfortunately came down to the fact that he let in one more goal than Mihalik, the number of times he stood on his head for us was incredible. The game could have ended much earlier, so many times over, if it wasn't for Yorkie keeping us in.

Originally posted by Shoot the Puck View Post
            Your insight regarding the team and their coaches confirms my feelings that our players are being developed into good hockey players and even more important good and honorable men.
            The article about the team and Ben Mayo is just the latest proof of the character our guys have. I really hope the NCAA bid works out in our favor, because they deserve that second chance.

Comment

This format would not work in HEA since there are only 10 teams.
              What's to stop the HEA from having 7 play 10 and 8 play 9 in the first round before re-seeding for the quarters?

And, you didn't address how an extra week in the regular season to play those 34 games would be a bad thing.
              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

"RPI waiting, hoping" by Ed Weaver http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-09-2011, 06:47 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

138 posts in this thread yesterday

I don't remember if we got that high when Pirri and D'Amigo bolted... or when we were female dogging about the refs...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    138 posts in this thread yesterday

I don't remember if we got that high when Pirri and D'Amigo bolted... or when we were female dogging about the refs...
                    I think that we did when 9 and 16 left.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post

Seems as though the early departures worked out as predicted... the engineers suffered and our "one and done" boys have shown that another year in college might have done them a lot of good. Hope that the incoming frosh are as good as predicted. I like the idea of Malchuk as C next year. JFK was a warrior but hard work isn't always a substitute for talent. We played our best stretch this year when he was on the sidelines. Although he'll make a good coach or CEO some day, I really think that our D will be much better next year with the other 6. The big question is whether York is back or not. That could be the difference between a bye and a middling campaign.
                      You and I have been on the same page for a while now. I posted several times that we played much better defense when JFK was injured. He is a very good defensive defenseman-but added little to our offense and just was not the type of defenseman we needed in the ECAC play as the season wore on. By mid season it was obvious that going with the other six D-men was most effective. With our frosh a year older, next year the defense should be solid and adding 2 big frosh D-men should not hurt us at all. We simply cannot replace Polacek and Helfrich-that duo made for an extememly potent set of weapons-but we will have more depth at forward with freshmen coming in. I don't see why they will not contribute immediately. Offensively we will be OK but not spectacular yet. Perhaps one more year of good offensive recruits and we could have something special. This year we had one or at most 2 good offensive lines-having watched Yale a couple times this year-they rolled 3-4 potent lines out there and just kept coming at you until you wore down. Next year we might have 2-3 lines like that.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                        What's to stop the HEA from having 7 play 10 and 8 play 9 in the first round before re-seeding for the quarters?

And, you didn't address how an extra week in the regular season to play those 34 games would be a bad thing.
                        First, what is stopping HEA from doing that is because that format doesn't make sense for the 10 teams!

Second please show me where I said an extra week in regular season would be, in YOUR words, "a bad thing". If there were not an extra weekend in playoffs, I am sure the league would probably decide to start a week later. Coaches would not want more empty weekends during the course of the season.

Comment

First, what is stopping HEA from doing that is because that format doesn't make sense for the 10 teams!

Second please show me where I said an extra week in regular season would be, in YOUR words, "a bad thing". If there were not an extra weekend in playoffs, I am sure the league would probably decide to start a week later. Coaches would not want more empty weekends during the course of the season.
                          Hockey East I am fairly sure does it out of principle, because on the women's side, though there are 8 teams in the league, 6 make the playoffs, and there are two first round byes, if you wanted to talk about things that seem weird...

If there were to be an extra week, what's not to say that they couldn't just make all of the series best 2 out of 3?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            If there were to be an extra week, what's not to say that they couldn't just make all of the series best 2 out of 3?
                            That would be so weird, in fact, weird enough that I don't even comprehend what you just said

Comment

I was sent this article in the middle of the season from someone and did not want to bring to the board's attention in mid season but in light of our discussion of yesterday. In Feb he was on short list for MSU job. Ultimately, I believe Gwoz will takes this position and Seth will stay but let's not forget that our fearless leader is highly respected and coveted. See attached.

http://www.greenandwhite.com/article...1/GW/102010328
                              Last edited by AspyDad; 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM.
                              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

• You guys are quite entertaining this week! I am literally driving through Troy as I write this on my way to Diamond Point NY to check outy CAmp Walden where my daughter may work this summer, any of you guys ever heard of or been to the place?
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X