X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by Senna View Post
    I posted last week before the Colgate series that the team had seems past peak and was a bit uninspired. I think that I also commented on not having ever seen Appert as demonstrative as during the time out that he took at the end of the game against Princeton. All in all, I think that the end of the season has been a bit of a let down for all of us, but mostly for the team and coaches. I think that we all see where this program is going and just want more, and there is nothing wrong with that. Its what makes good teams and good programs great.

Here's where it all comes together for me - I grew up in Troy and have been going to games since the early '70s. I have personally known some of the coaches and players throughout the years. My son plays youth hockey and the players dedicate their time to come to practices. I have met Coach Appert a couple of times and personally know Col. Knowlton. I have played and coached youth hockey for almost 20 years, and can tell you with an absolute certainty that this program and these individuals are what I would want my boys to be associated with. My oldest is in the process for admission to RPI and I have never been happier in my life than thinking about him being admitted and earning his degree from here. My youngest sees this team and these coaches and members of the athletic department and looks at them as people he is excited to be around, and less about wins and losses. He even told Appert that he some day dreams of playing for him and on this team (when he was 14).

So, we can hold our heads because we didnt get what we wanted (AC and an NCAA berth), and we can complain about the "what ifs" with D'Amigo, Pirri, and the refs (who really are horrible), OR we can recongize the gem that we have with this AD, Coach, and these Players. These are some truly special people here. I agree with whoever else said it - you just want wins, then follow Cornell or dream of having people like Harry Z as your teammate. Not going to happen here. I'll take what we have been blessed with and what is being built. I was not fortunate enough to go to RPI, but I can tell you that I am honestly happy for and proud of these kids and this program - and as said before, would die to have my kids associated with the school and the people in this program. A great thing is being built. Count on it.
    G**D*** it Senna, why did you have to go and be all rational on us ?!!?

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
      Apologize about the gay comment and really have beat this whole subject and day to hell. Have a good off season and believe it or not, we are on the same side here!
      All is well. People blowing steam off after a tough loss. My best to your godson and to you.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Nice to have peace and quiet again. Now let's just keep our fingers crossed that all the things that have to happen to get us into the NCAA field happen as we need them to. It is a very long shot-but you never know.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
          Here's a switch of topics. Shouldn't the regular season count for more than it does now under the current ECAC playoff system? What I mean is that the regular season seems to be increasingly irrelevant when the lower tier team in the standings needs only to heat up at the end of the season and knock of the higher seeds whose entire season's body of work no longer matters. I'm not sure if I would be taking this position if Union was still the league bottom feeder, but does it really make sense for every team to be guaranteed a playoff spot? Even the NBA and the NHL knock out a few teams. I know the easy answer is, take care of business in the playoffs, but it's such a long regular season, shouldn't it count for more?
          It doesn't take much to get me going on this topic. Any league that allows all teams into the playoffs is relegating their regular season to a long drawn-out exhibition series. On the women's side of the ECAC, some of the most exciting games are those in the second half of the season amongst the 7 or 8 teams fighting for the 4 or 5 (out of eight) playoff spots that are still undecided. Eliminating one round of playoffs would allow for one more non-conference weekend.

Comment

Lest my previous post suggest that I am merely disappointed that RPI lost to a 12th place team, let me also add that a system that allows the possibility that a team that finishes fifth in their conference and then loses to a 12th place team to possibly advance to the NCAAs is absurd. RPI did nothing down the stretch to suggest that they deserve to extend their season.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
              It doesn't take much to get me going on this topic. Any league that allows all teams into the playoffs is relegating their regular season to a long drawn-out exhibition series. On the women's side of the ECAC, some of the most exciting games are those in the second half of the season amongst the 7 or 8 teams fighting for the 4 or 5 (out of eight) playoff spots that are still undecided. Eliminating one round of playoffs would allow for one more non-conference weekend.
              -
              With all due respect hab, I disagree. It makes shooting for a bye weekend and the top four spot a goal for each team during the regular season. It was very exciting this year since it came down to the last weekend to see who would get fourth place and the final bye. Also, the non-conference weekend by eliminating one round of playoffs is a mute point since you still can only play 34 games (non-ivies). Lastly, if this is such a terrible playoff model, the CCHA would not have adopted a similar format for their league playoffs.
              Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                -
                With all due respect hab, I disagree. It makes shooting for a bye weekend and the top four spot a goal for each team during the regular season. It was very exciting this year since it came down to the last weekend to see who would get fourth place and the final bye. Also, the non-conference weekend by eliminating one round of playoffs is a mute point since you still can only play 34 games (non-ivies). Lastly, if this is such a terrible playoff model, the CCHA would not have adopted a similar format for their league playoffs.
                Wouldn't there have been a similar amount of angst over grabbing home-ice? Sure, it's not as awesome as a bye, but being able to play in front of your own fans makes quite the difference. Yes, the CCHA has the same format as the ECAC for playoffs, but Hockey East eliminates down to 8 (just like the ECAC women). Is the HEA any less of an example than the CCHA? And, that extra weekend would definitely come in handy. This season, Rensselaer had two "off" weekends: Nov 19th / 20th and Dec 24th / 25th (which everyone in the entire nation had off). This upcoming season is not going to be any kinder, especially with two separate trips to Michigan. Starting the ECAC regular season a week later, or getting an extra weekend off in January could be absolutely huge with regards to health and safety of our players.
                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Scrooge - you actually just made me laugh out loud. I think that Im about the only one who thinks that I am at all rational ! Actually, after having coached for so long and having had the opportunity to be influenced by some individuals at the highest level of this sport who i can honestly say that I am a better person for having met, has given me some perspective. My best teams, the best kids, and the one that I am still associated and involved with even now that they are in college or graduated after having coached them as mites at 6-8 years old, are exactly the kind of kids that I see here. Its the kind of long term program and consistency that I see being built, and the kind of closeness and comeraderie that most never experience. they are the kind of kids that you die to have on your team, regardless of outcome, and the kind that everyone wants to be associated with because they are winners. We may have some losses in hockey and who knows what next year will bring, but I'm praying that my oldest son gets admitted and my youngest develops the type of attitude and personality that would be desired in this group. Like I have said, this program is inches away from being scary for a long long time. If people get lost in a 2 overtime loss to Colgate or the bit of slide the last few weeks, then shame on them. I am still proud of these kids and this program and in calling myself associated with it, than upset over how things have apparently ended for them this season. You know, I have always told kids when I coached, generally with their parents in the locker room listening, that they as hockey players are different. They work harder than others, complain less than others, are committed to being their personal best and yet doing it all for a team because teams succeed. I would also tell them that their parents would never understand because they have never palyed the game and dont really know what it takes. Playing this sport is a microcosm (sp?) of life in that you can work harder and do all the right things and not succeed - and its not about wins, its about how you come back and the determination to be the best that you can and committed to being better than you can be. I see that here with this program. We have incredibly positive people and influences here. Im sticking with this program and the people involved in it. They are great people and as I have said people I want my kids involved with and that I am a better person for having met. Others arent happy - thats ok, and honestly to be expected. Thats why they are not part of the program. Its unfortunate that people focus on a lost series or not making some tournament this year for what is really going on and happening with this program. I for one am ok that we still fly under the radar a bit - helps me understand who's really part of the team and who's just along for the ride. Hope to meet all the true fans in due course.

Comment

I avoided this thread all afternoon for fear of getting caught up in everything and can honestly say it does seem that everyone's on the same side...haha...in an emotion-filled, romance-comedy novel filled with statistics kind a way Thanks to everyone, as always, for the avid speculation and following...I always look forward to logging in .

Wow...haha (still laughing after catching up on the last 7 pages)

Comment

Scrooge - you actually just made me laugh out loud. I think that Im about the only one who thinks that I am at all rational ! Actually, after having coached for so long and having had the opportunity to be influenced by some individuals at the highest level of this sport who i can honestly say that I am a better person for having met, has given me some perspective. My best teams, the best kids, and the one that I am still associated and involved with even now that they are in college or graduated after having coached them as mites at 6-8 years old, are exactly the kind of kids that I see here. Its the kind of long term program and consistency that I see being built, and the kind of closeness and comeraderie that most never experience. they are the kind of kids that you die to have on your team, regardless of outcome, and the kind that everyone wants to be associated with because they are winners. We may have some losses in hockey and who knows what next year will bring, but I'm praying that my oldest son gets admitted and my youngest develops the type of attitude and personality that would be desired in this group. Like I have said, this program is inches away from being scary for a long long time. If people get lost in a 2 overtime loss to Colgate or the bit of slide the last few weeks, then shame on them. I am still proud of these kids and this program and in calling myself associated with it, than upset over how things have apparently ended for them this season. You know, I have always told kids when I coached, generally with their parents in the locker room listening, that they as hockey players are different. They work harder than others, complain less than others, are committed to being their personal best and yet doing it all for a team because teams succeed. I would also tell them that their parents would never understand because they have never palyed the game and dont really know what it takes. Playing this sport is a microcosm (sp?) of life in that you can work harder and do all the right things and not succeed - and its not about wins, its about how you come back and the determination to be the best that you can and committed to being better than you can be. I see that here with this program. We have incredibly positive people and influences here. Im sticking with this program and the people involved in it. They are great people and as I have said people I want my kids involved with and that I am a better person for having met. Others arent happy - thats ok, and honestly to be expected. Thats why they are not part of the program. Its unfortunate that people focus on a lost series or not making some tournament this year for what is really going on and happening with this program. I for one am ok that we still fly under the radar a bit - helps me understand who's really part of the team and who's just along for the ride. Hope to meet all the true fans in due course.
                      Two thumbs up!
                      Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                        Yes, the CCHA has the same format as the ECAC for playoffs, but Hockey East eliminates down to 8 (just like the ECAC women). Is the HEA any less of an example than the CCHA?
                        I don't understand your point. HEA is not less of an example, however, my post was in reference to a format where all teams make the playoffs. The CCHA had the same format as HEA, as a matter of fact, so did the ECAC. When the ECAC changed, the CCHA followed. This format would not work in HEA since there are only 10 teams.
                        Last edited by hockeymascot; 03-08-2011, 08:52 PM.
                        Like a turkey at Thanksgiving, I'm stuffed

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymascot View Post
                          This was an upgrade plan to HFH that was in the planning stages before Seth arrived, which was part of the lure for a new coach.
                          Renovations to HFH were indeed part of the ECAV master plan, but never had a firm timeline other than potentially being a part of Phase 3 or 4. That it was moved up to Phases 1 (locker rooms) & 2 (facade, scoreboard, paint, lighting) is a direct result of the head coach.
                          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Thanks RC (and the others who repped me). It is just beyond me how we cant be sitting here right now focusing on where we are going rather than where we have been. I am convinced that the recruiting job has been fantastic, 1.) because we are brining in top of the shelf kids, and 2.) we are bringing in the "right" kids (people that are leaders and winners in life, with the right attitude, that display commitment, and who's success is not going to be measured by an NCAA championship or college hockey career). Do I want an ECAC and NCAA championship ? Absolutely. If we dont get either, is the program and its direction going to fail ? No. I know for a fact that there were kids that were looked at that offers were not made to precisely because they were not all of the things mentioned above rather than just very good hockey players. Examples ? JFK. Many of us (including myself) have posted this year that he may be the least skilled of our defensemen. Want him on my team and deserving to be captain ? Absolutely. The guy is a warrior. Never a second of quit and lays it all on the line, all of the time. I'll take a whole team of JFKs. Brutlag. Recruited to play defense and later asked to play offense. All this kid did was lead by example, every game, absolutely working his *** off. High energy and hit everything in sight. Give him a role and he accepts it and gets it done. Last one - Koudys. I have thought him to be very good, but not really putting together that he was 17/18 this year. That is unbelievable....until I read that article that got linked thru one of the threads. Kids like him come around once a generation, and he chose us. We are going to get a lot more of these types of recruits and players, and in fact think that we are in the direction that they will be actively seeking this program out above others. iIs gonna happen....and its happening. Lets see the comments on these threads then.
                            Game, Set, Match. Nice work.
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Wow !!!!!! that was inspireing...thats the most names Ive been called since I got into a fist fight w/Mickey Mouse @ Disney World.I was worried about thread action over the off season but things look encouraging.I would like to say that I was above the fray but somebody had to work and pay taxes today....and for JohnK everything has become more clear to me...lets see if I have this straight you own a Bar and are your freinds w/Schotzie and Fridge who'd a figuered (its only a joke).
                              What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks RC (and the others who repped me). It is just beyond me how we cant be sitting here right now focusing on where we are going rather than where we have been. I am convinced that the recruiting job has been fantastic, 1.) because we are brining in top of the shelf kids, and 2.) we are bringing in the "right" kids (people that are leaders and winners in life, with the right attitude, that display commitment, and who's success is not going to be measured by an NCAA championship or college hockey career). Do I want an ECAC and NCAA championship ? Absolutely. If we dont get either, is the program and its direction going to fail ? No. I know for a fact that there were kids that were looked at that offers were not made to precisely because they were not all of the things mentioned above rather than just very good hockey players. Examples ? JFK. Many of us (including myself) have posted this year that he may be the least skilled of our defensemen. Want him on my team and deserving to be captain ? Absolutely. The guy is a warrior. Never a second of quit and lays it all on the line, all of the time. I'll take a whole team of JFKs. Brutlag. Recruited to play defense and later asked to play offense. All this kid did was lead by example, every game, absolutely working his *** off. High energy and hit everything in sight. Give him a role and he accepts it and gets it done. Last one - Koudys. I have thought him to be very good, but not really putting together that he was 17/18 this year. That is unbelievable....until I read that article that got linked thru one of the threads. Kids like him come around once a generation, and he chose us. We are going to get a lot more of these types of recruits and players, and in fact think that we are in the direction that they will be actively seeking this program out above others. iIs gonna happen....and its happening. Lets see the comments on these threads then.
                                I believe that may be the Ralph winner for post of the year right there !!!!
                                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X