X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    ...Also, I really am puzzled about the dropoff in attendance during the playoffs. I know the weather was a factor last night, and in fact it kept me from driving over, but what other factor is at work here? ...
    RPI was tops in average attendance this weekend (2272). Whatever the ECAC attendance woes are, RPI did alright considering Princeton averaged 827 over 3 games.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Don't worry. There is a certain RPI poster who likes to play judge & jury...and do so anonymously with the neg rep comments...I should have one in about T-minus 10 seconds...
      I am shocked and appalled that you would talk about Ralph in such a fashion, cake eater.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I know the players play the game, but was this weekend's effort up to expectations and if not, doesn't the coach bear some significant degree of responsibility?
        He should be fired and subject to summary execution for being unable to beat trapping goon teams three years running, clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          I am shocked and appalled that you would talk about Ralph in such a fashion, cake eater.
          Thanks for the laugh. Besides for returning neg rep that I have received, you can count on one hand the number of neg reps that I have given out.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Thanks for the laugh. Besides for returning neg rep that I have received, you can count on one hand the number of neg reps that I have given out.
            You're like the Ted Bundy of jokes around here.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Wow, no trolls yet on here. I'm surprised. Then again, I haven't checked my e-mail at home, so I wouldn't know what butthurt is going on at RPISPORT-L.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                Hey Indigo Cumulus, great reference,
                BTW one of my favorite movies.
                Last edited by LTsatch; 03-08-2011, 12:12 AM.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

I may get flamed for saying this, but isn't this the third time in 4 years that RPI has failed to get out of the first round of the playoffs? I have a tremendous amount of respect for Seth Appert particularly as a recruiter of great talent, but doesn't he bear some scrutiny in this regard? I know the players play the game, but was this weekend's effort up to expectations and if not, doesn't the coach bear some significant degree of responsibility? Also, I really am puzzled about the dropoff in attendance during the playoffs. I know the weather was a factor last night, and in fact it kept me from driving over, but what other factor is at work here? Also as far as Chase Polacek, he is one of the best talents I've seen in the ECAC in the past decade or so. I will miss him (sort of).
                  Your 100% correct Seth Appert,George Roll,and Guy Godowsy should all be fired mainly because you say so...nice try at a left handed compliment....now SHUT UP !!!!!!!!!
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Seth Appert particularly as a recruiter of great talent, but doesn't he bear some scrutiny in this regard? I know the players play the game, but was this weekend's effort up to expectations and if not, doesn't the coach bear some significant degree of responsibility?
                    Players win, coaches lose. I'm sure that if RPI had scored the overtime goal, no one would be talking about Coach right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ajt6954 View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing regarding Appert and having two first round exits, at home, in two years. I'm willing to wait one more season before I start thinking Appert might not have it come playoff time. Baby steps...baby steps...this was his first year with all of his own players (I think) and really had a ton to persevere through.

These forwards coming in (as well as some solid D) will have this recruiting class within the top 5 of the country and two, maybe three of them, will most likely be very turn-key and adapt relatively well to the NCAA fairly quickly.

I know we're losin' a ton this year, but I think we'll be givin' teams fits next year. Good luck against 'Gate, Wholin...you're gonna need it...they're turning it on late.
                      Thanks for calling the dogs off and being "willing to wait" that means alot to everyone !
                      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                        Wow that newspaper is loaded with insightful hard hitting journalist...where the hell did that guy come up w/that story.Its almost like it was handed to him on a silver platter by another so called reporter whom didn't want to write it himself or herself.Im probably wrong,but one has to wonder.Can't wait for next years game @ Union I hear the Troy Record is sending 2 reporters 1 to cover the game and 1 to trash talk their program.

Comment

There's no doubt the RPI has made much progress under Coach Appert's tutelage. His talent for bring in top flight recruits is unchallenged but there's no denying that for whatever reason RPI fades down the stretch every year. I don't know the reasons....if i did I'd be coaching LOL but it's happened every year. We start out strong & fizzle out. RPI has made strides no doubt but this penchant for failing when it counts the most is concerning. We have some strong recruits coming in next year so we'll see what happens....

Comment

Wow no one here can take criticism of a program that hasn't accomplished ANYTHING for a decade unless you are all happy with being a mediocre middle of the pack ECAC team. Appert is growing as a bench coach but as of today is not able to match up with many of the more veteran coaches in the league. What makes this harder is that there is program that is 15 miles down the road who has a coach that does more with less. And for you dopes that think Union is a trapping team, you haven't seen them play. This isn't the same old Union and I respect what they have done. D'Amigo & Pirri aside this team had enough talent and the best goaltender in the league and could not beat the last place team in a 2 out of 3 series on home ice. Last year, same story with different excuses. Maybe my expectations are too high but with the facilities and resources RPI has compared to others in the ECAC, I expect this team to be a consistent top 4 ECAC team and an NCAA bid 2 or 3 times a decade. We are not even close to that and I go back and forth wondering if this team is going to take a step backwards or forwards with what they have returning plus a very good freshman class. After next year we will be looking at replacing the best goaltender RPI as had since Darren Puppa (no offense to Marsters or Laing). All that said, I thing the program has potential to reach their goals with Seth and obviously not calling for his head but I hope, and I'm sure he does to, to see some growth from him as far as having this team ready on a consistant basis. I am sick of watching less talented teams come in and out play and out hustle us. And if anyone hear doesnt think RPI played tentative hockey in their overtime opportunities this year, I stronly disagree. Colgate took it to us in those overtimes and hit two posts before the game winning goal.

As far as you two nitwits obsession with Ken Schott, you have all summer to play big spoon and little spoon so enjoy yourselves. The crew that I sit with ( we are all at the top of Sec 14 if you ever want to find us ) was wondering if we could get you to wear matching diapers over your stretchy pants so you are easily identifiable at next years games. Sorry to you loyal and faithful RPI posters and thank you for your contributions on this board but I've had just about enough whining about ref's and Ken from these two jack*****es.
                            Last edited by johnk; 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RPIHOCKEYFAN View Post
                              There's no doubt the RPI has made much progress under Coach Appert's tutelage. His talent for bring in top flight recruits is unchallenged but there's no denying that for whatever reason RPI fades down the stretch every year. I don't know the reasons....if i did I'd be coaching LOL but it's happened every year. We start out strong & fizzle out. RPI has made strides no doubt but this penchant for failing when it counts the most is concerning. We have some strong recruits coming in next year so we'll see what happens....
                              IMHO this year we started out strong because we had a senior-dominated offense and a returning All-star goalie. We fizzled (to use your verb) because other teams integrated their recruits and our lack of scoring depth caught up with us. Our freshman class did not contribute much in the scoring column past Higgs. I strongly suspect that 9 and 16 left too late to be replaced. It appears, in agreement with this, as recently discussed in the recruit thread, that there will be more scholarships in the entering class than in the graduating class, and that class is not yet complete.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I was talking with some of my neighbors yesterday and a couple of them have been going to games for 15+ years and they are questioning whether Appert is the right coach for this team. I'm not saying I agree with them, I'm merely pointing out that among some of the local non-alumni fans the question is starting to be asked. They feel he is unable to motivate them and that he whines about officiating too much.

Now as to my thoughts on Appert. I think there are 3 parts to being a college coach and for 2 of the 3 he excels and honestly on the third part he is maybe middle of the pack in the conference at best. He is a great recruiter and very good as a teaching coach, especially as a position coach for goalies. I think he is definitely responsible for some of the improvement that Merrian has shown from last year to this year. Where Appert seems to fall short is as a game coach he seems to be able to develop a gameplan to start the game but is unable to adapt effectively during the course of the game. Additionally he still has some trouble getting the team motivated. Now both of the criticisms are things that will likely improve with time as a head coach (I think his only previous experience was as an assistant) and his game coaching has definitely improved from the first couple of years but there is still a long way to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X