PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Ralph Baer
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
At this rate, this thread will be closed before we are mathematically eliminated form the NCAA tourney. :eek:

Red Cloud
03-08-2011, 02:20 PM
At this rate, this thread will be closed before we are mathematically eliminated form the NCAA tourney. :eek:

Ralph's way of saying "RC, stop poking the rabid dog." :D

You got it. :)

Ralph Baer
03-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Exactly-we were good but not deep. We could have been deep but we lost that before the season started. i am very disappointed we are not in the ECAC final four-I have my AC tickets. But I am still thankful for the season this team had and hopeful for next year.

Are you still going?

Ralph Baer
03-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Ralph's way of saying "RC, stop poking the rabid dog." :D

You got it. :)

Well that will stop the problem, but I really don't care one way or the other. I am quite happy that we are not Cornell where everyone toes the party line. RPI has a varied fandom with the only commonality being that we want the 'Tute to win.

BTW, I received a card from SA today thanking me for my contribution to Let's Go Red!

hockeymascot
03-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Absolutely. Wish they would go back to taking the top 8. Look at how poor the attendance is for this round at ALL locations. Its the right thing to do so there is no chance of Hagwell suggesting this change to the AD's.

The decision that all teams make the playoffs was driven by the AD's and coaches of the league, and unanimously voted upon. The idea was to protect the top seeds in the league (those that get the bye) and to try to increase revenue for the league.

hockeymascot
03-08-2011, 02:38 PM
I know the easy answer is, take care of business in the playoffs, but it's such a long regular season, shouldn't it count for more?

There is inequity here since the regular season is longer for only the non-ivies. The 22 league games is still the fewest amount played in a season compared to all the other Division 1 leagues.

Wholin1
03-08-2011, 02:47 PM
The decision that all teams make the playoffs was driven by the AD's and coaches of the league, and unanimously voted upon. The idea was to protect the top seeds in the league (those that get the bye) and to try to increase revenue for the league.
By and large I'd say it hasn't worked.

Ralph Baer
03-08-2011, 02:47 PM

True, and money is always a reason for letting more teams into the postseason-- but that doesn't make it correct.

johnk
03-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Correct and all Hagwell could do is suggest to the AD's to look at this subject. It has protected the top seeds but doubt it has increased revenue. Doubt we will ever see it go back to 8 but IMO it cheapens the regular season.

FlagDUDE08
03-08-2011, 02:52 PM
The Union rule may not be working, but would we have been speculating that we were seeing the light at the end of the tunnel at the end of the 2008-09 season had it not been in place? Every scenario has a good and bad situation.

Senna
03-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks RC (and the others who repped me). It is just beyond me how we cant be sitting here right now focusing on where we are going rather than where we have been. I am convinced that the recruiting job has been fantastic, 1.) because we are brining in top of the shelf kids, and 2.) we are bringing in the "right" kids (people that are leaders and winners in life, with the right attitude, that display commitment, and who's success is not going to be measured by an NCAA championship or college hockey career). Do I want an ECAC and NCAA championship ? Absolutely. If we dont get either, is the program and its direction going to fail ? No. I know for a fact that there were kids that were looked at that offers were not made to precisely because they were not all of the things mentioned above rather than just very good hockey players. Examples ? JFK. Many of us (including myself) have posted this year that he may be the least skilled of our defensemen. Want him on my team and deserving to be captain ? Absolutely. The guy is a warrior. Never a second of quit and lays it all on the line, all of the time. I'll take a whole team of JFKs. Brutlag. Recruited to play defense and later asked to play offense. All this kid did was lead by example, every game, absolutely working his *** off. High energy and hit everything in sight. Give him a role and he accepts it and gets it done. Last one - Koudys. I have thought him to be very good, but not really putting together that he was 17/18 this year. That is unbelievable....until I read that article that got linked thru one of the threads. Kids like him come around once a generation, and he chose us. We are going to get a lot more of these types of recruits and players, and in fact think that we are in the direction that they will be actively seeking this program out above others. iIs gonna happen....and its happening. Lets see the comments on these threads then.

hockeymascot
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
The Union rule may not be working.

What rule are you referring to?

TimU
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Cheel has beer and their student union attached. SLU is like visiting a blast from the past. I'd say between the improved lighting and the scoreboard (minus the stupid "Pump Up the Volume" animation) and the behind the scenes updates to the lockeroom and training areas that RPI is definitely better than any of those 3. Additionally I think that Appert's office is now up next to Shirley's throne area so when he interviews a recruit on campus they can look down and see the arena, nice subtle touch for trying to convince them to come here.

And yes I have been to Cheel and Appleton.

Cheel has more than beer. Like I said, I think you could make a case for both facilities between SLU and RPI - for different reasons obviously - but I do not agree that RPI (or Colgate or SLU) has better facilities than Clarkson and I definitely don't think RPI's facilities give it an advantage in recruiting when stacked up against Clarkson's.

FlagDUDE08
03-08-2011, 03:01 PM

Back in 2003 (at least according to things I had read), the decision for every team in the ECAC to make the playoffs was nicknamed by some of the RPI community as "the Union rule" because, before then, Union had made the playoffs once.

TimU
03-08-2011, 03:03 PM

I think they also believed it would to some degree protect programs from being perennial cellar-dwellers. No matter where you go, you're going to have a shot in the post-season. (I also think there was an element of "If you can't beat the 12th-place team 2 out of 3 in your home arena . . . ") I'm not sure I like it any better than Ralph, although I'm not complaining this week!!!

Red Cloud
03-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Cheel has more than beer. Like I said, I think you could make a case for both facilities between SLU and RPI - for different reasons obviously - but I do not agree that RPI (or Colgate or SLU) has better facilities than Clarkson and I definitely don't think RPI's facilities give it an advantage in recruiting when stacked up against Clarkson's.

There are various elements that go into facilities being "the best." Cheel is more modern, but it's a bit too antiseptic for me - incidentally, one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Appleton. Having seen the locker facilities at Cheel for the first time this year, they simply don't stack up to the new facilities at HFH.

We called the playoff extension the "Union rule" because, at the time, Union was the team that stood to benefit most from it because they were constantly finishing in last or next to last.

hockeymascot
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Back in 2003 (at least according to things I had read), the decision for every team in the ECAC to make the playoffs was nicknamed by some of the RPI community as "the Union rule" because, before then, Union had made the playoffs once.

It was more a format than a rule, which at the time, supported some of the Ivies as much as it supported Union.

TimU
03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
There are various elements that go into facilities being "the best." Cheel is more modern, but it's a bit too antiseptic for me - incidentally, one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Appleton.

You and me both - but I do think kids are wowed by shiny new buildings.

Having seen the locker facilities at Cheel for the first time this year, they simply don't stack up to the new facilities at HFH.

Haven't seen either - I'll trust you guys on that one.

FlagDUDE08
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Haven't seen either - I'll trust you guys on that one.

There are pictures on the RPI Athletics website that show the facilities. (www.rpiathletics.com) Obviously media privileges give an ability to experience them first hand.

Red Cloud
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM

Well, different kids are wowed by different things. Some are bowled over by a school that's merely close to home. Some like the North Country's seclusion, others are turned off by it. Some will find Troy to be a city with character, others will find it a dump. Some are turned on by educational opportunities or merely the offer of a scholarship. Facilities certainly play a role, but what each potential recruit wants in a building is different.