X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Just ot enough weapons to keep us going over the long ECAC season. We never really put enough offensive and scoring on the board to go with an adequate and sometimes stellar defense. Problem was when the defense wasn't absolutely stellar, our offense could only rarely steal us a game. You don't win many games scoring only 1 or 2 goals. Congrats to Colgate who played exactly the game they had to. They won their two games without any question. We have a very slim cahnce of playing in the NCAA but after the past few weekends i am not so sure we deserve to. Another long off season-and hopes that we have the firepower in the entering class to go further next year. Just an old time fan's 2¢
    Totally agree with the above. We have to remember that going into this season we had our two most talented players taken from us. We did not expect the season we had. So in a sense, we overachieved. We got mesmerized by our OOC play. We just couldn't hold it together for the full season.
    I like this team. They played hard and fast and gave us some great memories.
    Even with the loss of Polacek and Helfrich, I think that next years team will be better. The freshmen defense played a lot of minutes this year and for the most part, they were very good. And with the incoming class, I think that we will not only make up for the seniors scoring, but will spread the scoring around to make us a more difficult team to play against. JMO.
    Thanks to the team for a very enjoyable year. And thanks to the Seniors for four years of great service to RPI. Good luck to all of you as you go into the real world.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

There are certainly a lot of positives we can take from this season. First off, it's another winning season, and not just by a hair (like last year). Also, we went 32 straight games without giving up a shorthanded goal, and only 1 on the regular season (1 in playoffs, 1 in exhibition); coach Graham ought to be commended for that power play work. We also had an amazing out of conference record of 8-1-3, and a winning conference record (11-9-3). I think there was maybe 1 or 2 games that were completely out of our reach of winning this year, which shows our competitive ability. We also, once again, had ECAC top scorers, one of which is returning next year. The light is still there at the end of the tunnel, and we have been seeing it ever since the 2008-09 playoffs.

Comment

Sorry to hear about RPI's tough playoff weekend. I kinda assumed RPI would go deep, and didn't realize that they'd struggled down the stretch. I've been wrapped up with the AUS conference playoffs going on here across the border, so haven't checked in for the last little while.

FYI the University of New Brunswick finished in first place in the AUS regular season (23-5-0 in conference play) and had a first-round playoff bye. Friday night they beat 4th place Acadia 3-2 to take their best-of-five semifinals 3-1. Along the way the V-Reds played 4 overtime periods before beating the Axemen 3-2 in Game 2. In the other semi series Saint Mary's (reigning AUS & CIS champs) and StFX are tied 2-2, with Game 5 set for Tuesday. StFX is the team that upset UNB last season in the AUS playoffs, after the Varsity Reds had gone 27-1 in the regular season.

#1 ranked UNB is hosting the CIS championships, the University Cup, March 24-27 in Fredericton.
        Last edited by FreddyFoyle; 03-07-2011, 09:27 AM. Reason: Forgot ranking
        "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Is anyone in position to find out if the team is still holding practices? With the very outside chance of making the NCAA tourney, I would think that they would have to.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            Is anyone in position to find out if the team is still holding practices? With the very outside chance of making the NCAA tourney, I would think that they would have to.
            Either that, or similar to last year, they'll be training the entire summer, and are going to start today..

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Either that, or similar to last year, they'll be training the entire summer, and are going to start today..
              I would hope that they would get today off. There is plenty of time to practice. They earned a day off.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

It's tough to see any team lose in a double OT game like last night's. Congrats to RPI on a great season and series against 'Gate. There is still hope for you guys to make the NCAA's. You have achieved much this year and should be proud of your national ranking. Great sea change from a few years ago...kudos to the Engineers!
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                  kudos to the Engineers!
                  For?
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    Totally agree with the above. We have to remember that going into this season we had our two most talented players taken from us. We did not expect the season we had. So in a sense, we overachieved. We got mesmerized by our OOC play. We just couldn't hold it together for the full season.
                    I like this team. They played hard and fast and gave us some great memories.
                    Even with the loss of Polacek and Helfrich, I think that next years team will be better. The freshmen defense played a lot of minutes this year and for the most part, they were very good. And with the incoming class, I think that we will not only make up for the seniors scoring, but will spread the scoring around to make us a more difficult team to play against. JMO.
                    Thanks to the team for a very enjoyable year. And thanks to the Seniors for four years of great service to RPI. Good luck to all of you as you go into the real world.
                    Totally agree with all this to look at the season in totality it was a great year this team was much better than I expected to start out with...in my estimation they over achieved given the cards we were dealt.I also believe the future is bright I expect us to be better on defense next year I believe w/what we have coming back and coming in coupled with the fact I believe Pat Koudys is going to be a special player not a Bailen type player but a Nick Lidstrom type Dman remember this kid was 17yrs.old for 1/2 the season his performance was remarkable...overall we will be more talented at D...Chase Polochek can not and will not be replaced thats as good as a career gets.Given the fact that he was really our only weapon and dogged by every team we played his season was remarkable...what we can hope is that Laliberte and Neal combined can put up Chase like numbers and with Higgs/Rogic/Tinordi et.al and other good players coming in our overall talent level should be higher.I understand that talent has to perform but you have to have it to start with.We also now have players recruited 2 and 3 years out(good players).What that means is we are a few years away from not recruiting but reloading.This Program is light years from where it was 4 years ago Im not sure everyone fully appreciates what SA has done here so far it goes beyond Wins and Losses.Under his tenure so far we became a 20 win team....Burst on to the National Scene....brought players to Troy we never thought possible since Adessa left.....The Field House has become one of the nicest venues in the ECAC and all of college hockey and on and on and on.This has not been a rebuild this has been a Sea Change.SA has delivered on everything he promised thru hard work and determination albeit a work in progress JOB WELL DONE !Although this weekend was a disappointment for everyone I for one have my head held high.I submit that given what transpired in the Adessa era we are in a better place now than we were then.I can't wait for the Puck to Drop on next season already.Congrats to the Hockey staff and especially The Senior class your were the ones that took a chance and came here to revive this program and anything we accomplish in the future will be done on YOUR backs.You own a special place in RPI Hockey history....God Speed...and oh BTW We Still Have Alan York...Sorry
                    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have been pleasantly surprised with the "class and dignity" of you RPI posters. But then theirs always Red Cloud...Can't you just say Thank you or nothing ? Why do you always have to spoil everything....Grow up please !!

I'm sure this will trigger another one of your brilliant retorts...waiting .
                      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        They have to still be practicing, maybe not today but if there is an outside chance you have to be lacing them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
                          They have to still be practicing, maybe not today but if there is an outside chance you have to be lacing them up.
                          They have six days before they can even remotely think about any chance of playing more games. I would think a couple days of rest after playing 3 consecutive games is perfectly acceptable. This was a long hard season with lots of injuries (concussions, leg injuries, lacerations etc). I know SA pushes them hard but i suspect he will give them a little R and R for a couple days.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                            I'm sure this will trigger another one of your brilliant retorts...waiting .
                            Oh please. Why don't you just keep talking trash, Mr. "class and dignity?" That's all you seem to want to ever do. It's easy to take the high road when your team just won, isn't it?

I ask a one word question and I get attacked. Amazing.
                            Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                              For?
                              For a fantastic season that turned out better than anyone initially expected it to, and for a hard-fought battle of a playoff series. Appert was right when he told the team to hold their heads up and that they had nothing to be ashamed of. They played well, gave us a great run and some wonderful memories. The boys should be proud.

Comment

Good season that ended too soon, I hold out hope a NC$$ bid comes our way but in all reality doesnt look like it will. 4 years ago we were down in the dumps and a great group of boys came in and started building something. They leave 4 years later as men that on and off the ice contributed to what makes me proud to say Im an RPI fan. Sure we will all miss the scoring output of Chase but we also cant forget about the gritty Halpern or Brutlag who played with a jump every single shift. What will next year bring? Hopefully another step forward and progress on what has been started. National rankings are great and all but what I will remember most about this season is that once again RPI was a place to be on friday and saturday nights.

And with that I say farewell for another season, thanks for putting up with my nonsense all year. Enjoy the summer get out and golf or swim or boat or whatever you do, but just enjoy it.
                                Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Working...
                                X