This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

We must score more goals and not count on the random actions of refs in our games and other games working in our favor.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      We must score more goals and not count on the random actions of refs in our games and other games working in our favor.
      It would of course help if we allowed no one to score against us. A couple of shutouts would go a long way for us.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        It would of course help if we allowed no one to score against us. A couple of shutouts would go a long way for us.
        Within the last 10 years, it's the only way we've been able to beat Cornell.

Comment

As expected we drop a bit in the USCHO poll. We are now 16th. Probably where we should be after this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            In the ECAC the less goals you give up-the higher you finish in the standings. Defense seems to rule in this league. We may have to pitch a couple shutouts or 1 goal games to get by Colgate and Cornell. Both thee teams seem to keep our offense in check.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It is interesting that in Sunday's TU, there were a couple of articles on Union, and in one of them Lehman said that one of the goals of the team at the beginning of the season was to score a minimum of 3 goals per game. Presumably that is because he knew that he could ride his goalie the way we have ours, and that the vast majority of games that they would give up 2 or less. Absolutely the same for us. I think that it has been the good Dr., WS and I that have said we need another goal a game becasue we are giving up so few. Remains true to now. If we scored 4 a game, everything else (refs, goals against, etc) goes away and we have reached the promised land. Unfortunately, we are giving up 40+ shots in to many games and just not consistently scoring 4. We are not going to win 2-1 games giving up that many shots on net. As mentioned in my prior post, this combination of shots against and the seeming lack of intensity and sense of urgency in scoring and appearance that we just dont "want it" right now needs to be resolved inside the team. Im hoping that the boys can bring a real strong first game and effort against Colgate and net 4 or more to turn the tide a bit as these things have a way of building on themselves. We need the attitude and swagger back and great things can happen.

Comment

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
                  It was actually something I was pondering at the Cornell game at HFH this year. I said to myself, "If they score, we're ****ed." I decided to look it up, and the last time we beat them in a game where they had scored was in 2001. There's been a few ties.

Comment

In the ECAC the less goals you give up-the higher you finish in the standings. Defense seems to rule in this league. We may have to pitch a couple shutouts or 1 goal games to get by Colgate and Cornell. Both thee teams seem to keep our offense in check.
                    That is the norm in every league.....just check out the team in first place (league games) and they have the least amount of goals against of any other team.
                    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

I'm not sure I can agree with you there, this year it's true Union and Yale were top 2 nationally in team defense, they were also top 3 nationally in team offense. Yale's won the previous two years with an incredible offense. The defense first may have held up when Cornell was dominating the league, but a good balance seems to better fit the past few years.
                      National Champions 2014!
                      Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
                      Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
                      Let's Go U!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rolevio View Post
                        I'm not sure I can agree with you there, this year it's true Union and Yale were top 2 nationally in team defense, they were also top 3 nationally in team offense. Yale's won the previous two years with an incredible offense. The defense first may have held up when Cornell was dominating the league, but a good balance seems to better fit the past few years.
                        Rolevio-if you can-take a look at the ECAC stats for the past 10 years (or more if you can find them). The top 4 ECAC teams are almost always the 4 giving up the fewest goals-with a few exceptions of course. Union this year is a powerful defensive team. Of course they also have been scoring lots of goals (mostly OOC though). They have ridden a very good defense to the top of the league and may go a lot further this year with it. Add to that a monster power play and you have the makings of a Cleary Cup and more.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                          That is the norm in every league.....just check out the team in first place (league games) and they have the least amount of goals against of any other team.
                          In the ECAC though it seems to be more pervasive-most years the top 4 teams have the 4 lowest goals against-with of course a few exceptions. This was not the case way back in the 80's and before. In those days many times the team that scored the most, regardless of what they gave up, was in the top 4.

Comment

You're absolutely correct. We can whine and moan about the refs all we want, but when push comes to shove, RPI had a chance to get the 3rd seed, received copious amounts of help from other teams to get there, and just plain blew it by not putting the puck in the net. There's only 18 people, 5 at a time, you can point the finger at for that. It's still amateur hockey and slumps happen so you don't have to tell me how old you are (i.e. Mike Gundy press conference), but if you want a reason, there's the reason.
                            Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

In the ECAC though it seems to be more pervasive-most years the top 4 teams have the 4 lowest goals against-with of course a few exceptions. This was not the case way back in the 80's and before. In those days many times the team that scored the most, regardless of what they gave up, was in the top 4.
                              I have a feeling that the pendulum is about to swing the other way again. As soon as they realize that goalie pads have gotten too big, it will change. Clearly, it is always good to have a great defense, but things have gone too far, and it is driving down attendance at all levels.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I have a feeling that the pendulum is about to swing the other way again. As soon as they realize that goalie pads have gotten too big, it will change. Clearly, it is always good to have a great defense, but things have gone too far, and it is driving down attendance at all levels.
                                I think so also-with the refs cracking down on things defensemen do-obstruct, hold etc. Scoring opportunities will increase as will the numer of power plays which can produce 15-20% more scoring. With the recruits we have oming next year-this may work for us. I would love to see us scoring like the good old days.

Comment

Working...
                                X