X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
    I was disappointed that Beauregard didn`t dress for senior night. I think after 4 years of hard work in schoool and practice he earned it. Not Seths`brightest moment IMO.
    Sometimes you gotta reward effort to provide an unforgettable moment to a hard-worker, even if it means not obtaining an ephemeral goal, which in this case would have been the first-round bye. Believe me, the bye is not all it's cracked up to be.
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
      Flagdude, I can't believe you cheated at the bicycle race :-)
      Not only did he cheat, but he broke the handlebars of the poor lil tricycle...
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
        Thats a very good observation.We had several players in fact I would say more than usual sustain injuries in practice this year at least the most I've ever seen.The coach in his pre game interview said that practice this week was a war Im not so sure thats a good Idea ? That goes for Games also...an old wise hockey sage told me you have to play hard but there is smart hard and stupid hard ...
        Yes, and there is also the adage that says you play like you practice. Appert was dealing with a team that has been listless of late...our players were quoted in the Record on Friday as saying that perhaps they have been too relaxed or lackadaisical playing at home. If that's the case, then I'd have done exactly what Seth did.

History is full of teams who have "taken it easy" in the week leading into big games only to be flattened by teams who went hard all week. I would note that my beloved Packers practiced in full pads all week leading up to their bringing Coach Lombardi's trophy back to Titletown...

I guess my point is there are as many theories on how to practice as there are coaches coaching. I do think that Chase and Bailen look tired...and their number of double shifts is the reason. Bottom line is its time for this team to cowboy up. Everybody is sore, tired and injured this time of year. The teams that can rise above will move on.
        Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 02-27-2011, 09:38 PM.
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyenthusiast View Post
          Sometimes you gotta reward effort to provide an unforgettable moment to a hard-worker, even if it means not obtaining an ephemeral goal...
          That might be true in the Nanny State where everyone MUST worry about everyone else's feelings. D1 coaches aren't paid to provide personal "unforgettable moments" for individual players, they are paid to win games.

Having had the chance to observe him on a few occasions, NO ONE is more in tune with his players, and their level of effort and commitment than Seth Appert. The coach iced the lineup that he thought gave him the best chance to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Not only did he cheat, but he broke the handlebars of the poor lil tricycle...
            I was absolutely beside myself with laughter. We still had cameras rolling; I'll post the race to YouTube once I'm done processing the Princeton game.
            RPI Class of 2012
            Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
              I was absolutely beside myself with laughter. We still had cameras rolling; I'll post the race to YouTube once I'm done processing the Princeton game.
              I am much more likely to watch that than the game.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                And deserving of a lot of credit. Any boy that sticks with the program, practices faithfully, for four years but rarely gets to play deserves a lot of praise.
                Here Here
                What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That might be true in the Nanny State where everyone MUST worry about everyone else's feelings. D1 coaches aren't paid to provide personal "unforgettable moments" for individual players, they are paid to win games.

Having had the chance to observe him on a few occasions, NO ONE is more in tune with his players, and their level of effort and commitment than Seth Appert. The coach iced the lineup that he thought gave him the best chance to do just that.
                  And thats the bottom line.....Well said
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Agreed-and NO ONE want to win more than he does. He will have the boys ready for this weekend. Whether they execute or not is another story.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by fr joe View Post
                      Did anyone see this in Sunday's Times Union?
                      http://www.timesunion.com/default/ar...hs-1032242.php

Check out the article and pictures... the 'atmosphere' at Messa Rink!
                      Hopefully it will cause the students to get a little creative with cheers, maybe do a little research about a certain player and target him all night long. Hearing that someone "sucks" as a cheer the entire game gets pretty old after a while.
                      Loyality means sticking with a thing in good and bad times. Not willing to do that, stay home, I got this.

Comment

Yes, and there is also the adage that says you play like you practice. Appert was dealing with a team that has been listless of late...our players were quoted in the Record on Friday as saying that perhaps they have been too relaxed or lackadaisical playing at home. If that's the case, then I'd have done exactly what Seth did.

History is full of teams who have "taken it easy" in the week leading into big games only to be flattened by teams who went hard all week. I would note that my beloved Packers practiced in full pads all week leading up to their bringing Coach Lombardi's trophy back to Titletown...

I guess my point is there are as many theories on how to practice as there are coaches coaching. I do think that Chase and Bailen look tired...and their number of double shifts is the reason. Bottom line is its time for this team to cowboy up. Everybody is sore, tired and injured this time of year. The teams that can rise above will move on.
                        WS - cannot agree with you more. I went to the game Friday night and it was a pretty uninspired showing. I understood that Chase was a game time decision from the message Charlene circulates, and I didnt expect to see him based on that messaging. That said, this is a team and teams win, not individuals. On Friday, the only ones I noticed that stood out were Koudys, LeBoeuf, Foss, Rogic and York. Beyond that, we looked dead and Princeton skated circles around us. I have been a big fan of CJ Lee, but think that he's caught the ire of Seth - I think Appert threw a clipboard when CJ got his penalty. Other thing I noticed was how animated Appert was during the time out with 1:47 left in the 3rd after Princeton took a penalty. I havent seen him that fired up in speaking to the guys ever - arms waiving and almost veins in the neck sticking out, trying to get some life and energy and desire into the boys because they didnt seem to have it in themselves. The team just doesnt sem to have that same confidence and "swagger" that it did earlier in the season. Also, gotta say that we absolutely cannot be giving up 40+ shots on net every night. York has been tremendous this year and without him we dont have the record we do. Flip side, and I have posted this before, we need that 1 more goal per game - every game. I think that Seth is trying every trick in the book to raise the level right now and think that he knows the kids better than anyone and not going to question whether or how hard he works them during the week. I guess my point is that I think the team is burned and searching for its identity right now (its internal desire, sense of urgency, and self belief), right at the point of the season where we should be just about peaking. Im prety sure that I'll get flamed for this post and trust me, I think that this team has everything it needs to play with anyone - but uninspired efforts for any portion of a game just are not going to cut it at this point of the season.

Finally, couldnt make the game Saturday so glad to hear that people have posted that we played much better than on Friday. I was able to catch the last 1/2 of the Union - Princeton game, and as much as I am choking on saying this, they are a **** good team. They dominated Princeton and won every race to a loose puck, held them to something like 25 shots on net, and took the body on everyone. I say this because I honestly dont think that they have 1/2 the team that we do - but they play with a no excuses attitude and refuse to be beaten. I dont know what that attitude switch is for our guys, but i think we need a shot of that right now.

1 final thing - I sat in Section 5 on Friday, and I think that our 1 goal went in after the net was dislodged. It was clearly moved before the shot and never called. I dont know if anyone else saw it or not, but I wouldnt mention in a post unless i was absolutely certain. Interestingly, Priceton had one waived off minutes later for he net being off. I think that the reffing was way more than fair to RPI on Friday, and if I was Princeton, I would have felt a bit hosed given some of the calls / non-calls.

Comment

Interesting tidbit from the ECAC officiating thread-
                          My "officials" story of the weekend came on Friday night near the end of the SLU vs. Dartmouth game at Hanover. SLU was down 3-2 and had the goalie pulled. With about 30 seconds left, SLU shoots the puck into the net that bounces out. All the SLU players have their arms in the air celebrating, and Dartmouth proceeds to take the puck and score in the empty SLU net. None of the four officials on the ice or the goal judge saw the puck go into the net. The officials have a little meeting at center ice and decide to review the play and see if the goal was scored. They go over to the penalty box where Dartmouth has a big flat screen TV for reviews that about half the people in the rink can see. They try to replay the goal, and the screen goes black. They try it a few more times and it still doesn't work. (At this point, I am thinking we are dealing with a modern day Ned Harkness stunt!...) The officials were getting jumpy and didn't know how to handle the situation. Without the review available, they ruled (correctly) that the play had to stand as they originally called it with no goal for SLU and the open net goal for Dartmouth counted. BTW, the referees were Whittemore and Graber. Whittemore is bad and getting worse. He does have a little of that goofy Pierre Belanger appearance / arrogance about him.

After the game, the play was reviewed on the team films, and was clearly a goal. Anyone sitting at that end of the rink, said it was in. Dartmouth should be embarrassed by the whole thing but doubt they are. It does seem odd that the goal judge didn't see it go in and the replay camera malfunctioned. From talking to the Dartmouth folks sitting at that end, it was very clear that the puck went in the net.

BTW....I am pretty sure Paul Stewart was at the game.

If this was indeed true-it could have had some effect on our chance at a bye-If SLU tied the game with dartmouth perhaps a different ending in OT?
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Senna View Post
                            1 final thing - I sat in Section 5 on Friday, and I think that our 1 goal went in after the net was dislodged. It was clearly moved before the shot and never called. I dont know if anyone else saw it or not, but I wouldnt mention in a post unless i was absolutely certain. Interestingly, Priceton had one waived off minutes later for he net being off. I think that the reffing was way more than fair to RPI on Friday, and if I was Princeton, I would have felt a bit hosed given some of the calls / non-calls.
                            It looked the same way to me from Section 17. First thing I said after the goal was scored was "I hope they don't go to video review on this one, because the net was off."

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              Interesting tidbit from the ECAC officiating thread-
                              My "officials" story of the weekend came on Friday night near the end of the SLU vs. Dartmouth game at Hanover. SLU was down 3-2 and had the goalie pulled. With about 30 seconds left, SLU shoots the puck into the net that bounces out. All the SLU players have their arms in the air celebrating, and Dartmouth proceeds to take the puck and score in the empty SLU net. None of the four officials on the ice or the goal judge saw the puck go into the net. The officials have a little meeting at center ice and decide to review the play and see if the goal was scored. They go over to the penalty box where Dartmouth has a big flat screen TV for reviews that about half the people in the rink can see. They try to replay the goal, and the screen goes black. They try it a few more times and it still doesn't work. (At this point, I am thinking we are dealing with a modern day Ned Harkness stunt!...) The officials were getting jumpy and didn't know how to handle the situation. Without the review available, they ruled (correctly) that the play had to stand as they originally called it with no goal for SLU and the open net goal for Dartmouth counted. BTW, the referees were Whittemore and Graber. Whittemore is bad and getting worse. He does have a little of that goofy Pierre Belanger appearance / arrogance about him.

After the game, the play was reviewed on the team films, and was clearly a goal. Anyone sitting at that end of the rink, said it was in. Dartmouth should be embarrassed by the whole thing but doubt they are. It does seem odd that the goal judge didn't see it go in and the replay camera malfunctioned. From talking to the Dartmouth folks sitting at that end, it was very clear that the puck went in the net.

BTW....I am pretty sure Paul Stewart was at the game.

If this was indeed true-it could have had some effect on our chance at a bye-If SLU tied the game with dartmouth perhaps a different ending in OT?
                              That's one of the more amazing stories I've heard this week.

It's theoretically possible that if SLU's goal had counted, the Saints could have gone on to win the game. Assuming Clarkson still would have beaten Dartmouth on Saturday, there could have been a four-way tie for third place, instead of a three-way tie for fourth.

I had enough trouble understanding how the tie-breakers worked for a three-way tie. I don't even want to think about how a four-way tie would have been resolved.

It certainly seems as though the hockey gods owe one to SLU. I'm glad RPI won't be playing them this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                                It's theoretically possible that if SLU's goal had counted, the Saints could have gone on to win the game. Assuming Clarkson still would have beaten Dartmouth on Saturday, there could have been a four-way tie for third place, instead of a three-way tie for fourth.
                                It would have been Cornell / Rensselaer / Dartmouth / Princeton (in that order) if SLU had pulled out that victory and nothing else changed for the rest of the weekend.
                                Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Working...
                                X