X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 V: The "Chase" to AC & Beyond

Originally posted by Beman View Post
    I can't understand why yours is not as large as ours either.
    Bazinga.
    APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by cornellgradyalefan View Post
      You guys do a great job on this board. We have a good group also, although not nearly as large as yours. Regarding your comments on Union, they deserved to win the Cup because they were the most consistent team during the 2nd half of the season, but if you ask me which team I would not want Yale to face in AC, I would answer RPI, hands down. Having said that, I am puzzled why your season has gone downhill so dramatically, right after beating Yale at the freak out.
      If you want my guess I think we have been in so many close games this year we go to a short bench in almost every game...we run 2 defense pairings and 2 1/2 lines because Chase double shifts on the third line for a large chunk of the third period trying to catch up,in fact tonight we killed a full 2:00 5 on 3 with the same 2 defensemen on the ice for the entire kill...I think its a matter of our key players just being flat out gassed.We have some high end recruits coming in the next 2 years and that should address that problem.It remains to be seen how much we miss Chase but I believe(hope) depth will compensate.Then after next year York is gone but it looks like our current back up is ready for prime time.You can count on 1 hand the number of games that we just put away a team and won easy...that I believe has taken its toll.With us its never easy no matter who the opponent is.Thats why the buy week would have been a huge get for us but we just couldn't take care of business.The good news is before SA arrived a good season was if we got home ice for the first round of the playoffs now we are dissappointed that we didn't get a buy even after loseing 2 impact players to the pro's(which caused our depth issue).IMO the program is on the upswing and our hope is that we get better and better each year and be disappointed when we don't win the Cleary Cup and only get a buy !!!
      Last edited by troyboy; 02-27-2011, 02:13 AM.
      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Beman View Post
        I can't understand why yours is not as large as ours either.
        Thread envy?
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
          If you want my guess I think we have been in so many close games this year we go to a short bench in almost every game...we run 2 defense pairings and 2 1/2 lines because Chase double shifts on the third line for a large chunk of the third period trying to catch up,in fact tonight we killed a full 2:00 5 on 3 with the same 2 defensemen on the ice for the entire kill...I think its a matter of our key players just being flat out gassed.We have some high end recruits coming in the next 2 years and that should address that problem.It remains to be seen how much we miss Chase but I believe(hope) depth will compensate.Then after next year York is gone but it looks like our current back up is ready for prime time.You can count on 1 hand the number of games that we just put away a team and won easy...that I believe has taken its toll.With us its never easy no matter who the opponent is.Thats why the buy week would have been a huge get for us but we just couldn't take care of business.The good news is before SA arrived a good season was if we got home ice for the first round of the playoffs now we are dissappointed that we didn't get a buy even after loseing 2 impact players to the pro's(which caused our depth issue).IMO the program is on the upswing and our hope is that we get better and better each year and be disappointed when we don't win the Cleary Cup and only get a buy !!!
          All very sensible-add to that fact we never really were much above a .500 team in ECAC games even when we were flying against the out of conference schedule. At the break I believe we were only 3-3 in the ECAC. All of our ECAC wins were pretty close and the cardiac kids pulled some out that they almost did not. Add to that some injuries to key players late in the season and a few players with either illness or just plain out of gas and you have just enough wrong to lose the close ones instead of winning them. The key to me was the last 2 weekends at home. Losing to Colgate and Cornell in OT and losing to Princeton by 1 goal and getting a tie with QU. Those were 4 games we needed more points in and missed each time by 1 goal. Colgate will not be easy in the playoffs and they certainly are a team not many want to play right now-but so are we. A healthy RPI can beat anyone at anytime and i am pretty sure that the ECAC leaders Yale and Union would like very much for us not to be a team they have to face in AC if they get there. With most of the recent scoring coming from the underclassmen-I actually think we can be a better team in the playoffs-but only if the seniors can get back whatever it was they had going for them earlier this season. Just an old fan's 2¢

Comment

As of this morning we are 13th in PWR. I will wait for WaP's explanation this week as to who we need to root for in the playoffs around the country-Obviously we need to beat Colgate. But will be interested to see who we root for in the various matchups.

Comment

I, for one, am glad that February is over.
              I know we had injuries to important players and there was some illness at the end of the month, but we just didn't get it done when we had the chance.
              I was at the field house for the Colgate game, and we looked tired. For stretches of that game, we showed that we were a superior team, but they were short bursts and we could not sustain them.
              If we are healthy, I think we win. I would say easily, but we never win easily.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                I, for one, am glad that February is over.
                I know we had injuries to important players and there was some illness at the end of the month, but we just didn't get it done when we had the chance.
                I was at the field house for the Colgate game, and we looked tired. For stretches of that game, we showed that we were a superior team, but they were short bursts and we could not sustain them.
                If we are healthy, I think we win. I would say easily, but we never win easily.
                For most of the years i have followed RPI hockey we do not win easily. The few years that we did win easily-we were national powers. Be patient EHF-those days are coming back! We are on the right track-this year(so far) we have won 9 more games than we have lost. That has not happened in a while. Building a winning program from where we had fallen to takes time. We have plenty of talent this year but just not quite the depth to withstand a few injuries to key players and the grind of weekly ECAC competition. A bye would have been a great help to us but we just lost points in the league all season that we should have gotten. Hopefully we can put forth the team effort next friday night to take charge the first night of the playoffs. That is truly a must game for us. Our task to reach AC is to beat the 2 travel partners that we seem to have the most trouble with the past 10 years. If we do get through that, we will have to have earned it.

Comment

Anyone think that perhaps the reason we are flat on Fridays is that we are overdoing the work in practice all week? That we come into friday overtired? Then we play a poor friday game and having no heavy practice, get refreshed for saturday? Just a thought....

Comment

They looked very tired at the end of the game yesterday. Mabey our conditioning isn't as good as it needs to be. We were struggeling to survive in overtime. I'm surprised we held up. The same can be said about our past overtimes. We are just out of gas and it's a keep the puck away from our own net game. Our Powerplay guys need to score again.
                    Flagdude, I can't believe you cheated at the bicycle race :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      As of this morning we are 13th in PWR. I will wait for WaP's explanation this week as to who we need to root for in the playoffs around the country-Obviously we need to beat Colgate. But will be interested to see who we root for in the various matchups.
                      This is where things get more and more curious. We've arrived at a tough scenario here as far as NCAA's go. If we beat Gate, it does nothing for us (might not even help our RPI). If we lose then our RPI takes a hit though all of the other TUC stuff is unaffected. It might be worse for us to beat Colgate and then lose to Cornell than to lose to Colgate.

In other words, as far as the NCAA goes, next weekend is almost inconsequential. Obviously we want to win that series and I think we will. That would set up an all or nothing weekend at Lynah where a win would certainly representng progress and a loss really rubbing in the fact that we we're close but not quite there. If that series happens then I'll bet Stewart spends all weekend in Hanover!

Comment

Anyone think that perhaps the reason we are flat on Fridays is that we are overdoing the work in practice all week? That we come into friday overtired? Then we play a poor friday game and having no heavy practice, get refreshed for saturday? Just a thought....
                        Thats a very good observation.We had several players in fact I would say more than usual sustain injuries in practice this year at least the most I've ever seen.The coach in his pre game interview said that practice this week was a war Im not so sure thats a good Idea ? That goes for Games also...an old wise hockey sage told me you have to play hard but there is smart hard and stupid hard I believe sometimes we are the latter..sometimes we seem to be flying all over the place really not getting anything accomplished other than wearing ourselves out and it causes us to have bad spacing and over pursueing putting us in bad positions...spacing and passing lanes are alot of times created by pace...great passers play with players that know how to create space for themselves to be able to recieve a pass...that can be difficult sometimes w/the pedel on the floor boards...Brandon Pirri was a good example of this and Brock Higgs this year does a great job of that.Its my opinion that we need to become more positionally sound with a little less running around especially in our offensive zone...sometimes you need to slow down and find sweet spots.IMO this 60 minute run and gun style we play limits our puck possession time...thus the low shot count and we have fewer second chances we are much to deep to take advantage of rebounds(over pursuing) its usually one and done for us thus the low goals per game count.Overall We are a very good team and considering what took place over the summer with early departures if we can make a little run in the playoffs it will have been a great year cudo's to the coaching staff and the players..we have more talent coming in next year so its onward and upward the future is good !
                        Last edited by troyboy; 02-27-2011, 10:04 AM.
                        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                          Thats a very good observation.We had several players in fact I would say more than usual sustain injuries in practice this year at least the most I've ever seen.The coach in his pre game interview said that practice this week was a war Im not so sure thats a good Idea ? That goes for Games also...an old wise hockey sage told me you have to play hard but there is smart hard and stupid hard I believe sometimes we are the latter..sometimes we seem to be flying all over the place really not getting anything accomplished other than wearing ourselves out and it causes us to have bad spacing and over pursueing putting us in bad positions...spacing and passing lanes are alot of times created by pace...great passers play with players that know how to create space for themselves to be able to recieve a pass...that can be difficult sometimes w/the pedel on the floor boards...Brandon Pirri was a good example of this and Brock Higgs this year does a great job of that.Its my opinion that we need to become more positionally sound with a little less running around especially in our offensive zone...sometimes you need to slow down and find sweet spots.IMO this 60 minute run and gun style we play limits our puck possession time...thus the low shot count and we have fewer second chances we are much to deep to take advantage of rebounds(over pursuing) its usually one and done for us thus the low goals per game count.Overall We are a very good team and considering what took place over the summer with early departures if we can make a little run in the playoffs it will have been a great year cudo's to the coaching staff and the players..we have more talent coming in next year so its onward and upward the future is good !
                          This is certainly a work in progress.
                          I agree with everything you said, and will add that a better breakout pattern will help our puck possession.
                          We hesitate way too much getting out of our zone. There should be set plays so that the defensemen can just shoot the puck where a forward will be waiting for it. No hesitation necessary.
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

"1" point again this year. On the + side we don't have to face a hot Harvard. We will get W #20 this Friday. No Union factor this weekend.

Comment

I was at the game Saturday night and noticed that Kevin Beauregard did not play on senior night. As a matter of fact, he has not played very much at all. Has he been injured?
                              I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                                I was at the game Saturday night and noticed that Kevin Beauregard did not play on senior night. As a matter of fact, he has not played very much at all. Has he been injured?
                                He has played I believe 4 or 5 games his entire collegiate career. I don't think it's injury so much as his game hasn't been up to the standard that Coach is looking for night after night to grant him one of those 18 skater spots. His father was PO'd on RPISPORT because of this turn of events for senior night.

Comment

Working...
                                X