No announcement yet.

'Cats Rule & Dogs Drool (I Hope): UNH, home & home with Northeastern, 2/25 - 26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Cats Rule & Dogs Drool (I Hope): UNH, home & home with Northeastern, 2/25 - 26

My less than stellar math tells me that both teams will make the playoffs, with Northeastern 9 points ahead of the teams below them with 8 points left available -- but I could be wrong. I don't know where UNH stands as far as securing home ice, but I'm sure they're close.

It could be argued that the Huskies have "more to play for", if they still have an outside shot at home ice (somebody much smarter than me has already run the numbers, I'm sure) . . . but UNH, although in first place in HE, is probably not the best team in the league. From a UNH fan's perspective, the Wildcats need to show us something; a three-point weekend up in Burlington wasn't what we were hoping for. It's not about the stupid RS Trophy, it's about playing well going into the playoffs.

Northeastern appears to be playing their best hockey of the year, scoring 15 goals against BC in their last 3 games against the Eagles. Should be a very interesting series. I'm looking for high - scoring affairs, but think UNH will have just enough offensive firepower to get 4 much needed points.

Friday: UNH 5, NU 4 (OT)
    Sat: UNH 6, NU 4

And yes I know, logic would say that since I think BC is better than UNH, NU would fare better against UNH than BC . . . but I think UNH will watch the game film from the BC-NU series and play just well enough.
    Last edited by unhpuckfan2001; 02-21-2011, 06:53 AM. Reason: title error
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Re: 'Cats Rule & Dogs Drool (I Hope): UNH, home & home with Northeastern, 2/25 - 26

With the way the Huskies are playing recently and the way UNH has been playing of late, I'm thinking 4 points by UNH will be VERY difficult......I smell a split.

Comment

Re: 'Cats Rule & Dogs Drool (I Hope): UNH, home & home with Northeastern, 2/25 - 26

puckfan, check out:
      http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...010-11-edition
      for all of the numbers regarding playoff possibilities

I would be SHOCKED if UNH swept this weekend. I can't predict any better than each home team winning... If Saturday's game is any indication, they may not get any points this weekend.

Comment

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...6&goto=newpost

Did you miss this thread that was already started? Looks like the cats are so lazy that they can't look on the message board and find an already started thread....
        Originally posted by Bakunin
        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
          http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...6&goto=newpost

Did you miss this thread that was already started? Looks like the cats are so lazy that they can't look on the message board and find an already started thread....
          Maybe the title of the thread didn't make any sense and was easy to skim over? (I still don't get the title)

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
            Maybe the title of the thread didn't make any sense and was easy to skim over? (I still don't get the title)
            He was a little confused by what infractions UNH got in trouble for (it was emails not phone calls) but its about NU suspending Cro and a few years ago UNH getting slapped with 2 years probation for over 900 emails....
            Originally posted by Bakunin
            Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
              He was a little confused by what infractions UNH got in trouble for (it was emails not phone calls) but its about NU suspending Cro and a few years ago UNH getting slapped with 2 years probation for over 900 emails....
              no, I know, i figured it out, but I didn't notice the thread because of the title, is all

Comment

I think it'll be a split. NU is not afraid of UNH who is not better than BC but I don't think it'll be a sweep either way.
                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                  I think it'll be a split. NU is not afraid of UNH who is not better than BC but I don't think it'll be a sweep either way.
                  Are there teams out there that are 'afraid' of other teams?
                  NU is playing a lot better than UNH is playing right now, what that means for this weekend, I'm not sure, and I still would predict a split with each home team winning, but I wouldn't be shocked with any result this weekend.

Comment

I was at the Beanpot last Monday night and Northeastern gave everything BC could handle, then proved it again this past weekend. An OT loss, a tie, and a win against the supposedly best team in the country definitely gives the Huskies the momentum going into the two games this weekend. UNH has to be prepared for a transition game against the Huskies. They are going to pedal to the metal I am sure. There will be no trapping this time by Northeastern. In the last two weekends UNH has appeared, at times, to be surprised when their opponent presses the action. It happened in the first period of the first Merrimack game and it definitely happened in the third period of Saturday's games vs. Vermont. UNH can win both games this weekend, I believe they can, if all their lines give maximum effort and the defense reacts quickly. But I can see them getting swept as well, if they come out flat footed, with no life and fall behind. Rest of the regular season the games will be played like it is the playoffs. Let's hope the Wildcats respond in the appropriate manner.

Only caveat is how Northeastern reacts without Cronin. I have always questioned his game to game coaching ability, but he certainly appears to be a master motivator. I am assuming that he is completely removed from the team. If so Husky fans, how does his absence affect the team?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      I was at the Beanpot last Monday night and Northeastern gave everything BC could handle, then proved it again this past weekend. An OT loss, a tie, and a win against the supposedly best team in the country definitely gives the Huskies the momentum going into the two games this weekend. UNH has to be prepared for a transition game against the Huskies. They are going to pedal to the metal I am sure. There will be no trapping this time by Northeastern. In the last two weekends UNH has appeared, at times, to be surprised when their opponent presses the action. It happened in the first period of the first Merrimack game and it definitely happened in the third period of Saturday's games vs. Vermont. UNH can win both games this weekend, I believe they can, if all their lines give maximum effort and the defense reacts quickly. But I can see them getting swept as well, if they come out flat footed, with no life and fall behind. Rest of the regular season the games will be played like it is the playoffs. Let's hope the Wildcats respond in the appropriate manner.

Only caveat is how Northeastern reacts without Cronin. I have always questioned his game to game coaching ability, but he certainly appears to be a master motivator. I am assuming that he is completely removed from the team. If so Husky fans, how does his absence affect the team?
                      Don't know but he wan't behind the bench this weekend and it didn't seem to matter much.
                      Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                      Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

IMO, Cronin probably scares the s*%t out of the team, so not having him around for a change is helping them relax a little bit. Hopefully I'll be up at unh on Friday, first time at the Whitt. They'll probably split the weekend.
                        Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          puckfan, check out:
                          http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...010-11-edition
                          for all of the numbers regarding playoff possibilities

I would be SHOCKED if UNH swept this weekend. I can't predict any better than each home team winning... If Saturday's game is any indication, they may not get any points this weekend.
                          I knew about Todd's thread, I just hadn't got around to reading it yet. But, my math was good, it seems.

As for the other game thread - I didn't notice it because of the name . . . but I vote for keeping that thread. Title is way clever-er than mine!

As for predicting a sweep; I'm too superstitious to pick against 'em -- I pick with my heart.
                          I haven't been on here in a year...
                          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

GO NU!!! (Sorry, MC needs a little help for the HE Title)
                            As everyone knows... there was a crisis, as Justin (MCHOCKEY) went AWOL 4 minutes into the first game... and thankfully he wandered his way to the meet and greet in one piece... listening to Mike (Warrior51) tell this story was *** hilarious...

-Redman after the first night of the HE Tournament(2004).

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                              It could be argued that the Huskies have "more to play for", if they still have an outside shot at home ice (somebody much smarter than me has already run the numbers, I'm sure)
                              Sorry to pollute the thread... but this is a very, very outside chance.

NU needs to run the table (4 points) and for BU to earn no more than one point against UVM, and for Maine to gain no more than five points. NU needs to finish above Maine, but in order for this scenario to work at all they need to sweep the home-and-home with BU, which would give them the series win and the tiebreaker, so finishing tied with BU for 32 points is OK.

NU cannot finish higher than 4th because they max at 32 points and Merrimack already has 33. (MC itself can fall as low as 5th but no lower, and taking a single point from Maine clinches home ice for them. In fact, MC can still finish as high as 3rd even if they don't win another game, if NU runs the table against BU and Amherst takes at least one point from Maine.)
                              Last edited by dmjossel; 02-22-2011, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X