No announcement yet.

MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    And if you think Blais is going anywhere else in his lifetime, you are sadly mistaken.
    That's what I said on GPL and everyone jumped down my throat. The dude is in the process of building a house down there. One would think that means at the very least he won't be going anywhere in the next 3-5 years. Yes, I know there are reasons for building a house aside from staying in a location long term, but it sure looks like this is a scenario where Blais will be in Omaha for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by gopher wes; 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM.
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

where is the grammar horse? i got beef to settle.......

Comment

Originally posted by dhansen791 View Post
        Oh, the irony.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by dhansen791 View Post
          I hope it isn't my grammar that is in question....?
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            That's what I said on GPL and everyone jumped down my throat. The dude is in the process of building a house down there. One would think that means at the very least he won't be going anywhere in the next 3-5 years. Yes, I know there are reasons for building a house aside from staying in a location long term, but it sure looks like this is a scenario where Blais will be in Omaha for the forseeable future.
            I posted an article some months ago where he indicated he has considered ending his career with UNO. The Blais or David Letterman is getting up in years and I suspect he will plant himself in Omaha for several years and finish out his coaching career.

Edit: And I must say the Blais has done an amazing job with UNO and is no doubt a candidate for WCHA Coach of the Year.
            Last edited by HarleyMC; 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I hope it isn't my grammar that is in question....?
              Meh. If it is who cares, let the grammar police worry about such nonsense.
              Originally posted by CavalryNate
              Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
              sigpic

Comment

The feeling I got (and this was due to some rumblings I thought I heard) was that Blais would coach for about 5 years, grooming Guentzel to be the next head coach, then retire and let Guentzel take the reins.

I hear that MTU might sign up MeanEgirl to play center. Hey, she's at least healthy and can sorta kinda skate...
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The feeling I got (and this was due to some rumblings I thought I heard) was that Blais would coach for about 5 years, grooming Guentzel to be the next head coach, then retire and let Guentzel take the reins.

I hear that MTU might sign up MeanEgirl to play center. Hey, she's at least healthy and can sorta kinda skate...
                  Too late, KFAN stardom has already gone to her head. She's refusing to get in the corners and do the dirty work.

Or is it Dirty work......
                  Life's A Journey, Not A Destination......
                  Steven Tyler

Comment

Blais would come to Minnesota in a heart beat, and if you think any different your crazy! He has wanted this job ever since he came back to college hockey, plus he is from Minnesota he wants to get back to his roots, his homeland, Gods Country! He would leave UNO tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by Gophernation View Post
                      Blais would come to Minnesota in a heart beat, and if you think any different your crazy! He has wanted this job ever since he came back to college hockey, plus he is from Minnesota he wants to get back to his roots, his homeland, Gods Country! He would leave UNO tomorrow!
                      You're crazy if you believe what you just posted.
                      Last edited by Biddco; 02-23-2011, 09:16 PM.
                      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        You're crazy if you believe what you just posted.
                        And I thought rinkpig was a moron.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And I thought rinkpig was a moron.
                          He still is. Gophernation is no rinkpig. Be nice!
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Dean's contract expires after the 2014-15 season so that would be 6 years. I think he'll get the typical 2-3 year head coaching extension after that. There are obviously three head coaches on the UNO coaching staff, so it makes complete sense that when the Blasier retires the job goes to an asst. head. But to whom is the tough call Brent. Both Hastings and Guentzel are former Omaha Lancer head coaches, both are two time USHL coach of the year. Mike Hastings stands alone in two significant categories though. He has NEVER had a losing season as a head coach and is the winningest coach in USHL history. IMHO it could go either way. Hastings the consummate local Omaha coach with huge GM connections in the USHL or Guentzel with years of experience in the WCHA. My guess is Mike Hastings since he was basically hand picked first by Dean Blais. Mike Guentzel came on staff a year later. IIRC Lucia was pretty surprised by the Hastings move too.

EDIT: I really like what the Blaiser, Alberts and Kemp have done to really build a strong support base at UNO after support for the program was waning only three years ago. Within the next year UNO will most likely will begin plans to raise funds and construct their own 7000-8000 seat multipurpose arena with two rinks. They have 3 years left on their lease at the Quest. I see this program becoming one of the top winning and recruiting hockey programs in the WCHA for a long time.
                            Last edited by HarleyMC; 02-24-2011, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gophernation View Post
                              ...and he told you this???
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                My guess is Mike Hastings since he was basically hand picked first by Dean Blais. Mike Guentzel came on staff a year later. IIRC Lucia was pretty surprised by the Hastings move too.
                                IMHO my money would be on Hastings too. Guentzel doesn't seem to even be considered for most head coaching jobs, including the search that brought us Lucia. Apparently a pretty good assistant but no one really wants to give him the reigns and I'd be willing to bet Blais isn't any different. Maybe that's why he brought in Hastings since he realized Guentzel wasn't right for the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X