No announcement yet.

MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Originally posted by Houghton77 View Post
    Russell will be fired at the end of the year.
    Bought out, maybe. Not fired.

He had a couple of decent years when Chris Conner played and Pete Rouleau fell into his lap but other than that it is 4, 5 or 6 wins per year.
    Conner never played on either of Russell's "decent" teams. Rouleau did not fall into his lap, Pete was originally recruited and chose to wait too long to accept Tech's offer. He was given a chance to walk on after a decent season at Finlandia.

Michigan Tech needs to find a coach that has had some success recruiting into a smaller school in a small town. Somebody like :
    Enrico Blasi - Miami / Ohio
    Dean Blais - Nebraska / Omaha
    Jeff Blashill - Western Michigan
    None of those coaches are going anywhere. Not for what Tech can afford to pay.

Nate Leaman - Union
    Bob Daniels - Ferris State
    Why would those guys leave to come to Houghton? Money isn't the only motivating factor you know, and those programs are not in similar situations to Tech. Not even close.

I'm not defending Russell at all here, and I have been saying that AD Sangreget should be doing everything she can to raise the money to cut him loose, but some of the people who migrate here from places like the DMG comments section need to back up their rants with the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Money is definitely the only reason that I think Russell could be extended 1-2 years, which is the only option the AD has other than scraping together the money to buy out his last year (and likely the last year of lead assistant Mikesch too, so about $200k total). I don't see how letting a lame duck coach try to recruit for and coach a program that he won't be in charge of come next March helps the program at all.

The word is that many of the players' parents still have a positive attitude about the direction of the program going into next season. Granted they are parents, but if their kids weren't learning/developing and were unhappy with the coaches, I think they would know about it.
      I think the MTU alumni that are pouring in the money for Luxury boxes and Hall of Fame walls will have much more say than the current players parents. I would guess they are pretty sick watching what has transpired over the last three years.

Comment

He in his defense. He did say someone like. I don't think he actually wanted those people to leave their jobs and come to MTU.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
          He in his defense. He did say someone like. I don't think he actually wanted those people to leave their jobs and come to MTU.
          "I would contact these guys in the order above and see if they would come to MTU for a substantial raise in pay." That sounds like he wants Blasi or Blais in houghton
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I have said it before and I'll say it again. If Tech can get Cary Eades to come over and coach, make it happen. Anyone else, make me a convincing argument. Any argument that begins with the words "John" and "Hill" is automatically dismissed. If we are making a change at coach, there needs to be a change, there is no point in changing to Jamie Russell 2.0, if you're doing that, give Jamie another year and hopefully he gets a shot at a relatively healthy season from his top players.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              "I would contact these guys in the order above and see if they would come to MTU for a substantial raise in pay." That sounds like he wants Blasi or Blais in houghton
              No, he just went off the deep end there. Raise in pay? hahaahahahhahahaha
              tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Bought out, maybe. Not fired.

Conner never played on either of Russell's "decent" teams. Rouleau did not fall into his lap, Pete was originally recruited and chose to wait too long to accept Tech's offer. He was given a chance to walk on after a decent season at Finlandia.

None of those coaches are going anywhere. Not for what Tech can afford to pay.

Why would those guys leave to come to Houghton? Money isn't the only motivating factor you know, and those programs are not in similar situations to Tech. Not even close.

I'm not defending Russell at all here, and I have been saying that AD Sangreget should be doing everything she can to raise the money to cut him loose, but some of the people who migrate here from places like the DMG comments section need to back up their rants with the facts.
                I stand corrected on Connner, those decent years where the Rouleau, Kerr, Shelast and Kinrade & Teslak years. I still feel if Tech can come up with the money one of those guys will come. To go back to the start of this post maybe Lucia would come if Minnesota lets him go.

Comment

Blasi is going nowhere. he's got a good gig going in Miami.

Blais - I don't think so.

Tech doesn't have the horsepower to hire an already success head coach.

I'm afraid of bringing in "new" blood (non Tech alumni). Either they fail and leave -or- they win and leave. I like hiring alumni. Tech is going to have to show me something WAY better than Jamie to change my mind.
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I stand corrected on Connner, those decent years where the Rouleau, Kerr, Shelast and Kinrade & Teslak years. I still feel if Tech can come up with the money one of those guys will come. To go back to the start of this post maybe Lucia would come if Minnesota lets him go.
                    you're a newbie and we are going to jump all over what ever you say. hang in there! its just what happens.

Lucia wouldn't even consider it.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Not just a newbie: an ignorant, uninformed and completely lost newbie. If he knew what the blue line was i'd be surprised.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'm always glad to have newbies! we need more people! plus, with all of our expertise, we'll have him straightened out in no time!
                        Boosh Factor 4

Comment

If indeed Russell has another year on his contract, I'm 90% sure the Administration will keep him for another year. Buying him out would involve paperwork and money. Bureaucrats hate paperwork and they've already done the budget for next year. It's a hassle to change the budget.

I still think hiring a successful Div III head coach out of Wisconsin who wants to move up to Div I is the best way to go. Please no more assistant coaches. Back at the end of MacInnes career, everyone said Boxer and Nahrgang really ran the team. Well, we found out the hard way that wasn't true.
                          "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                          Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                            I still think hiring a successful Div III head coach out of Wisconsin who wants to move up to Div I is the best way to go.
                            Things worked out real well with Dean Talafous and UAA, didn't they?

Comment

considering that MTU is likely to lose 22% of their state funding and are looking to reduce, re-use, and consolidate (positions will be lost all over campus), it would be politically insane to sink a big new investment into the hockey program this year. I just don't see it.
                              Even if the funding is there, and pledged to the hockey team, it's the politics of the thing. A lot of the academics on campus hold a grudge against every penny that goes into athletics.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                considering that MTU is likely to lose 22% of their state funding and are looking to reduce, re-use, and consolidate (positions will be lost all over campus), it would be politically insane to sink a big new investment into the hockey program this year. I just don't see it.
                                Even if the funding is there, and pledged to the hockey team, it's the politics of the thing. A lot of the academics on campus hold a grudge against every penny that goes into athletics.
                                That lovable idiot Carl Dassbach is probably still running around saying we should eliminate the hockey team and use the money saved to either fund more academic scholarships or lower tuition across the board.

Comment

Working...
                                X