No announcement yet.

MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
    But I wouldn't be surprised if John Hill took another head coaching job somewhere in the not too distant future.
    At MTU?
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

But I wouldn't be surprised if John Hill took another head coaching job somewhere in the not too distant future.
      let's ask Suze about John Hill. maybe Anchorage wants him back.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Edina is looking for a peewee B2 coach for next year. Some of those kids will need some encouragement.

Comment

Let's give him to Mankato State of Minnesota Technical College.

Edit: Although I would miss seeing Corky blow up at the refs.
          Originally posted by CavalryNate
          Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
          sigpic

Comment

Has Penn State decided on a coach yet?
            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
              As far as Russell and the contract issues, I'll cede to you on those points.
              But regardless, the past 3 years have been abysmal for Tech hockey.
              Typically I consider MTU to be a pretty average D1 team that struggles to compete in the high-powered WCHA. But the past 3 years have just been bad. It's hard to imagine coach Russell has much credibility left, fair or not.
              Money is definitely the only reason that I think Russell could be extended 1-2 years, which is the only option the AD has other than scraping together the money to buy out his last year (and likely the last year of lead assistant Mikesch too, so about $200k total). I don't see how letting a lame duck coach try to recruit for and coach a program that he won't be in charge of come next March helps the program at all.

The word is that many of the players' parents still have a positive attitude about the direction of the program going into next season. Granted they are parents, but if their kids weren't learning/developing and were unhappy with the coaches, I think they would know about it.

Comment

I think most of us are hoping that will happen. What better way for Hill to get a job offer then the success of the program? So that's reason enough for the Gophers to step it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Any of the local Techies going to be in attendance? how about the non-locals? Sounds like a couple of us will try and be at Sat's game, with probable SENANICANS afterwards.

I do hope that no more MTU players get hurt. Not that it really matters for the season; I just hate injuries. Also, a word to the wise: wear extra-thick shinguards. Fairchild has been known to try and take out opponents' legs by shooting pucks into them.
                  I'm in for both games!
                  Decided on my way home at 6:30 Sunday morning that I was going to stay.

P.S. Thanks for the hospitality, Brent. I woke up and decided to go home. See you this weekend!
                  I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Lucia stays. Maturi would rather have a lame duck hockey coach during his last year of retirement. Both contracts are up at 2012.
                    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Why is Friday's game a 6:30 p.m. local start?
                      Originally posted by Jon
                      You call everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        I think most of us are hoping that will happen. What better way for Hill to get a job offer then the success of the program? So that's reason enough for the Gophers to step it up.
                        His name has been mentioned (among others) in regards to a potential coaching vacancy at Western Michigan. Ohio State might be looking around too, IF John Markell goes to Bowling Green. MTU?

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        Lucia stays. Maturi would rather have a lame duck hockey coach during his last year of retirement. Both contracts are up at 2012.
                        Bruininks has already offered Maturi a 2 year extension. Eric Kaler will take over as the 16th Pres. of the UMN this summer and will most likely approve it. Bruininks will remain at the U as a faculty member. If Maturi gets his ext., there's a pretty good chance Don Lucia will get his (2014-15?).

Plus Maturi is raising funds to build a $20 million practice facility for Tubby by the fall of 2013. Tubby was whining again for it after the Ohio State loss. The reasoning is other Big Ten schools have one and that's why we can't win big games.

Comment

A couple questions. Which will have a higher total?

MTU injuries or MTU goals?
                          Number of times Dirk uses his high-pitched voice or number of times Sonmor curses the refs?
                          Amount of time before Twitch (or other MTU fan) posts the Ronald McDonald insanity or Scooby posts something negative (post-game only)?
                          Number of MN fans in the MTU section who are friends with MTUers, or MTU fans?
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

A couple questions. Which will have a higher total?

MTU injuries or MTU goals?
                            Number of times Dirk uses his high-pitched voice or number of times Sonmor curses the refs?
                            Amount of time before Twitch (or other MTU fan) posts the Ronald McDonald insanity or Scooby posts something negative (post-game only)?
                            Number of MN fans in the MTU section who are friends with MTUers, or MTU fans?
                            Maybe Sonmor. He announced his retirement from radio broadcasting this year. Mike Eaves, who played for Sonmor when he coached the Minnesota North Stars, was asked last weekend what his favorite memory was of Glen Sonmor. Some of you may know that Glen has a artificial left eye as a result of an injury he sustained from a slap shot taken by one of his teammates when he played for the New York Rangers in the 50s. Lou Nanne has talked in the past about times when Glen's glass eye actually fell out on the North Stars bench in those days.

Eaves mentioned a game when Sonmor, who was notorious for getting on the refs, went completely ballistic regarding a bad call by the ref. Eaves said the ref skated over to the North Stars bench, put one hand over his "right" eye and said, "Glen is that you?"

Comment

Any of the local Techies going to be in attendance? how about the non-locals? Sounds like a couple of us will try and be at Sat's game, with probable SENANICANS afterwards.

I do hope that no more MTU players get hurt. Not that it really matters for the season; I just hate injuries. Also, a word to the wise: wear extra-thick shinguards. Fairchild has been known to try and take out opponents' legs by shooting pucks into them.
                              Well, you already know, but for anyone else interested. I will be at both games, I had a huge brain fart and bought tickets to Tech games, so now I may as well use them. I got tickets with the Alumni group from Tech, now I just need to figure out how to get my tickets before the game.

As for postgame, I'm looking for something both nights. Sounds like Brent and I and whoever else may be interested are going out for an encore of last Saturday, hitting up downtown. I don't have anything for Friday post game, if anyone wants to plan something, I'm game.
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                                Apparently when you buy a house, have to make mortgage payments, buying paint, a refrigerator, couches and other odds and ends you don't have a lot of money you want to spend on going out.
                                Some of us still find a way.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X