No announcement yet.

MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTU @ MN: Whose coach gets fired first?

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    You need to tell the wet blanket to come out with us, gosh darnit. She's missing good times.

Hey hag, you think they'll resign (winkwinksaynomore)?

I think both coaches are on a very short leash. tDon moreso, given the expectations of the program, of course, but I can't see either coach with their respective teams in 2 years.
    I have to disagree. As of right now, I don't think Lucia's job is in jeopardy. If the Gophers struggle again next year he will be done. But I don't think they are going to continue to struggle the way they have the past few seasons.

And to be perfectly frank, I don't see how Russell could possibly have a job in Houghton next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
      I have to disagree. As of right now, I don't think Lucia's job is in jeopardy. If the Gophers struggle again next year he will be done. But I don't think they are going to continue to struggle the way they have the past few seasons.

And to be perfectly frank, I don't see how Russell could possibly have a job in Houghton next fall.
      1. I think what happens at the F5 (and the miracle NCAA appearance) is what tDon's job depends on. I think this year, with the F4 here, was the do-or-die year. I felt the same way last year. Still feel terrible about it.

2. Jamie only has 1 year left on his contract, IIRC. Budget issues and who else they could get are the issues in that case, along with the whole injury situation the last couple of years. Again, feel terrible about it.

I would say that MN doesn't NEED to win out the regular season, because winning the F5 is the only way into the NCAA's, but I suppose there's a long shot to sneak in without getting an autobid. That, and going into the F5 (and possibly NCAA) tourney on a hot streak would be a good thing.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I just don't think Lucia's job is dependent on an NCAA tourney appearance this year. I think the team has shown a lot of improvement over the second half, and I think Maturi truly believes in Lucia's abilities.
        At the beginning of the year I was on board saying the Gophers had to finish in the top half and make the NCAAs to warrant keeping Lucia. But at this time, I think the program has shown signs of moving in the right direction, and I think they are going to be yet more competitive next year. My guess is that Maturi sees it the same way.
        I also think there were some elements to the Gophers' struggles the past few years that will be taken into consideration.
        Just my opinion.

As far as Russell and the contract issues, I'll cede to you on those points.
        But regardless, the past 3 years have been abysmal for Tech hockey.
        Typically I consider MTU to be a pretty average D1 team that struggles to compete in the high-powered WCHA. But the past 3 years have just been bad. It's hard to imagine coach Russell has much credibility left, fair or not.

Comment

The only way Minnesota gets an autobid is with a ton of help from others, on top of winning the next four and sweeping the first round. A win at the final five tournament is more than likely a must, also.

I don't think they'll get in, but I want them to give it a shot.
          the state of hockey is good

Comment

I just don't think Lucia's job is dependent on an NCAA tourney appearance this year. I think the team has shown a lot of improvement over the second half, and I think Maturi truly believes in Lucia's abilities.
            At the beginning of the year I was on board saying the Gophers had to finish in the top half and make the NCAAs to warrant keeping Lucia. But at this time, I think the program has shown signs of moving in the right direction, and I think they are going to be yet more competitive next year. My guess is that Maturi sees it the same way.
            I also think there were some elements to the Gophers' struggles the past few years that will be taken into consideration.
            Just my opinion.

Typically I consider MTU to be a pretty average D1 team that struggles to compete in the high-powered WCHA. But the past 3 years have just been bad. It's hard to imagine coach Russell has much credibility left, fair or not.
            This year, to my knowledge, is the end (or maybe the 3rd year) of the four year cycle of recruiting in a different manner than before (can't remember when the actual quote on that was made). That's why I think this year is the year in question. The F4 being here solidified my process of thought. That's a golden opportunity to prove his worth to the program. That he can still coach.

Obviously, the popular opinion (shared by me) is that Hill needs to go, but you and I both know that's not happening. So it's either keep and hope, or get someone else (which we know MN could get a decent to great coach).

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
            The only way Minnesota gets an autobid is with a ton of help from others, on top of winning the next four and sweeping the first round. A win at the final five tournament is more than likely also a must.

I don't think they'll get in, but I want them to give it a shot.
            The only way MN is getting into the tourney is:
            1. A ton of help (as explained by Bakunin in the MN-WI thread, with a breakdown of the PWR)
            2. Win the F5

The second option is the "easy" way in. They win out and finish 2nd at the F5, it's still a mind-boggling set of circumstances to get in.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I wouldn't call it "mind-boggling" to finish 2nd and make the tournament. I'd say it's roughly a coinflip right now (assuming they win their next four games and don't damage their RPI before the playoffs start). Assuming neutral results elsewhere, MN finishing 2nd in the Final Five probably puts them squarely on the bubble in the 14th-16th overall range. From there, it's a question of what happens with teams like RPI, Dartmouth, WMU, and UNH to name a few (I'm intentionally omitting UW/CC here because I think one of them will be MN's first round opponent - which means the winner of that series will win the comparison).
              Last edited by Bakunin; 02-21-2011, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Gophers have looked better lately, but this series is screaming letdown.
                Yeah, for the Huskies after getting a HUGE win in Denver last weekend!!! LOL
                "I GOT NOTHIN""YES I DO"

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  MeanEgirl will be there both nights, I will be there Saturday.

No known Tech students are making the trip at this time.

I miss MeanE!!! I might have to attend the Friday night game...
                  "I GOT NOTHIN""YES I DO"

Comment

You need to tell the wet blanket to come out with us, gosh darnit. She's missing good times.
                    Apparently when you buy a house, have to make mortgage payments, buying paint, a refrigerator, couches and other odds and ends you don't have a lot of money you want to spend on going out.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      Apparently when you buy a house, have to make mortgage payments, buying paint, a refrigerator, couches and other odds and ends you don't have a lot of money you want to spend on going out.
                      She doesn't have to spend money. Actually many bars downtown won't charge for pop if you're DDing.

Comment

She doesn't have to spend money. Actually many bars downtown won't charge for pop if you're DDing.
                        Well parking and cover! A whole ten dollars!

I would expect UMTC to sweep this series. But I am hopeful Tech can take a point from this series.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

She can spend zero on parking - just go to a park and ride and hop the train (cheaper for a pair of train tickets than to park).

Comment

The only thing is that the Gophers have been at their downright worst against downright bad teams this season.
                            They have had their moments, and this series totally has trap game written all over it. However they did handle business against Tech last time, and if they can't do it again this team probably doesn't deserve to build up the bandwagon going into the playoffs. But I'm still hoping and think they can make NCAA with only one F5 win with some help, but would likely have to win at least 2. But then again, if you're going to win 2, why not put it all together and win all 3 to make it easy? Sounds like a good plan to me.

Comment

Perhaps she just doesn't want to hang out with you losers.
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Just my opinion.

I think you're right about Don Lucia. The Gophers have played well against good teams (this last weekend was very good), have shown "some" improvement lately, and they're still basically a young team. UMN is not about to buyout his contract and your point on Maturi's trust in Lucia is right on. I think we need to keep mind as well, that coaching changes in college do not reflect the same financial protocol as in pro hockey. My opinion is Don Lucia is still one of the top college hockey coaches in the country. Don's got a lot left in the tank and my opinion is he'll be around for a few more years.

But I wouldn't be surprised if John Hill took another head coaching job somewhere in the not too distant future.

Comment

Working...
                                X