This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Things Denver XXX

Lets get thread #30 started, a yes for a toga in Omaha.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: All Things Denver XXX

After this rather embarrassing defeat by the mighty Tech, I'm reminded by the movie "A Few Good Men". I'm looking for a more senior experienced fan here.

"Hal? Hal? Hal?"
    DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
    sigpic
    WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Ugly loss tonight. Hats off to Tech for get that massive monkey off their back. DU played selfish, slopy super unmotivated hockey tonight. Lot's to ***** about and not much to be happy about. I feel like this team is tanking. Two nights in a row of really ugly play against two struggling programs.

Lots of super talented players out there clutching thier sticks and trying do it on thier own. I think we could lose three of the last five. UNO and the Cloudies are playing the opposite of us right now and both will be super hungry. DU drops to 5th in the PWR but could end up a three or four seed before its over. D and turnovers are going to limit where this team can go.
      Go Pioneers!

Comment

RIT, Mich Tech, Omaha Community College... sure, why not. (that's a commentary on our DU prima donnas, not UNO...which is actually a pretty good team)
        Soon to be lurking for two decades !

Comment

*****http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1376/sheepcostume2ld.jpg******

Homina, homina, homina. This is just darn embarrassing. G'nite DU. Wake up or be out. The last few weeks suck and this is not a team that will do a "garsh-darn" thing when it matters unless a dramatic change of focus happens.
          Last edited by co14ers; 02-18-2011, 11:47 PM.
          sigpic
          WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
            Ugly loss tonight. Hats off to Tech for get that massive monkey off their back. DU played selfish, slopy super unmotivated hockey tonight. Lot's to ***** about and not much to be happy about. I feel like this team is tanking. Two nights in a row of really ugly play against two struggling programs.

Lots of super talented players out there clutching thier sticks and trying do it on thier own. I think we could lose three of the last five. UNO and the Cloudies are playing the opposite of us right now and both will be super hungry. DU drops to 5th in the PWR but could end up a three or four seed before its over. D and turnovers are going to limit where this team can go.
            One of two things happen. This team turns into something that Herb Brooks preached about not doing ("All-Star teams don't work"), or they will get it that they are not a team that can rely on talent alone. Unfortunately, I have seen this same dam movie the last few years. Some DU posters ragged on FS23 today for DU not getting respect in his formula... This is why. Regular season success and crap NCAA showings hurt our standing. Like it or not. This team is shaping up just the same as the last couple of years. Strong mid-season performance followed by a serous flame out at the end of year. And since DU flies like an F-16, a flame out sucks the nutsack. The end run is a dart dive into hard earth. Boom, D-U-N, season over. Sorry for my venting, but this game had to be a win, it couldn't have even been a close win, but we LOSE to the worst hockey team almost ever. F-that. I'm ****ed.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
              The end run is a dart dive into hard earth. Boom, D-U-N, season over. Sorry for my venting, but this game had to be a win, it couldn't have even been a close win, but we LOSE to the worst hockey team almost ever. F-that. I'm ****ed.
              One thing that was different tonight. The boys didn't have anywhere near the heart they had been showing when they were down. Most everyone played like ****. George said he might sit some people and I think he should but I doubt he has the balls to do it. Miani and Lee's heads weren't anyway close to Magness. Lee played like he was sick. I get frustrated with George doing his line shuffle. What the hell good is that going to do at this point of the season? Now he says he'll shuffle some more tomorrow? They were also playing a 2-1-2 offensive trap for the first two periods tonight. Why? He put it to bed in the third and it helped. Was he prepping for UNO? If so, then the lose is on him becuase he's sending the boys a totally messed up signal.
              Go Pioneers!

Comment

Absolute crap tonight. No heart, no hustle until the third when the game was already lost. This team is one and done in the ncaa's if this is what they are made of. Sleepwalkers.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
                  One thing that was different tonight. The boys didn't have anywhere near the heart they had been showing when they were down. Most everyone played like ****. George said he might sit some people and I think he should but I doubt he has the balls to do it. Miani and Lee's heads weren't anyway close to Magness. Lee played like he was sick. I get frustrated with George doing his line shuffle. What the hell good is that going to do at this point of the season? Now he says he'll shuffle some more tomorrow? They were also playing a 2-1-2 offensive trap for the first two periods tonight. Why? He put it to bed in the third and it helped. Was he prepping for UNO? If so, then the lose is on him becuase he's sending the boys a totally messed up signal.
                  For sure bro, and I hear what you are saying. But I'm just a middle class chumpzilla that spends some of my middle class (shrinking middle class, btw) money on this kind of thing. That certainly takes the onus out of my hands and firmly places it in a coach that blows my earning power away. At least in my job, over a few years, I solve the recurring problem. Maybe my problems are more simple, but for the money this monkey makes, he should be able to solve the recurring problem. We shall see. Is his message stale? Has he lost his midas touch? I do not know. But my stupid arse sees a trend. The USS DU Titanic is at sea and there is certainly an ice berg on the horizon? Does the designated Skipper Gwoz see this obstacle? If so, can he steer the craft round it? Or does our beloved team take a giant bite and leave our fans with gravy flavored snow cones?
                  sigpic

Comment

Grim, indeed.

I'm not throwing in the towel just yet, but this team is regressing. Ugh.

Without Martin and Ostrow to lead, someone must step up....Heart, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                      Absolute crap tonight. No heart, no hustle until the third when the game was already lost. This team is one and done in the ncaa's if this is what they are made of. Sleepwalkers.
                      In the third, this game was far from lost. They had 20 darn minutes of hockey to play and the third period has been "their" period all year. This was not against the Gophers in the third period last Saturday with a 6 goal deficit. This was a 2 goal deficit against the WORST TEAM IN COLLEGE HOCKEY THIS YEAR. No way this was over. Problem is, we keep putting ourselves in this position. I even predicted on the scoring thread that we'd give up the first goal. That's how we have rolled the whole dang season. I just made the naive thought that we'd get better at this time of year. Not the case. Again. I am sick and tired of this same scenario.

But, I shall go now. There's nothing this team can do to me that I can't drink away.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yeah maybe the game wasn't quite lost in the third. But when I saw the weak effort which led to the 3-1 deficit, I felt like I would have been unsatisfied even if they would have pulled out a miracle win. This team should not be coming out flat in February. Like swami, I'm not throwing in the towel either. But another couple efforts like this, and I will have to adjust my expectations way downward. Just one if those discouraging games, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                          Yeah maybe the game wasn't quite lost in the third. But when I saw the weak effort which led to the 3-1 deficit, I felt like I would have been unsatisfied even if they would have pulled out a miracle win. This team should not be coming out flat in February. Like swami, I'm not throwing in the towel either. But another couple efforts like this, and I will have to adjust my expectations way downward. Just one if those discouraging games, I guess.
                          Yeah, I agree with you. Even if DU would have pulled out a "miracle" third period win out of this performance, it would have just been putting lipstick on a pig. At least the nationally embarrassing loss our team suffered tonight may bring some good. Are these young men who are members of the team we cheer for a team of guys who respond like the US National team in 1980 after getting crushed by the Soviets? Or are they the men that made up the swooning team that limped into the NCAA last year and got nutsacked by RIT? Or are they in between? I don't really give a crap either way, as long as they give all on the ice each and every game. Did you see Forsberg retire the other night and hear what he wanted to be remembered for? I did not see a DU player tonight that left it all on the ice. In fact, I haven't seen a DU player do that for quite some time. In fact, now that I think about it, the last one I remember doing that was in Columbus talking to Brett Skinner wearing a shoulder sling while he told my about that injury that happened in the first part of the first. Toughness, Focus, Heart and Desire. He may not have been the best defenseman ever, but he had the mindset of the best defenseman ever.
                          sigpic

Comment

For the first time in a long time I deprived myself of the "pleasure" of watching the 3rd period (the Military Channel was showing a program about Hitler's bodyguard). I saw this coming and said so. These are the games you have to win. No disrespect intended to a game Tech club struggling with injuries and lack of experience that came up with a winning performance on the road against the formerly 4th ranked team in the country. Don't take anything away from them. Nothing is guaranteed, that's why we play these games. But here's a team half a game out of first, at home, against the last place club that came this close to setting an all time loss record and they lay this egg? What could possibly be the explanation? Now DU has set itself up with a must win game tomorrow, and while I'm reasonably confident they can pull it off, I'm not betting my Crown Royal budget on it. I guess we can take them at their word: "we aren't emphasizing winning the conference." Yup, you've convinced me.

Here's the thing. Under normal circumstances, you would have expected the Pioneers to come out smoking, trying to get that butt kicking from last week out of their system. Instead we get this half hearted, really embarrassing effort.

I asked a rhetorical question last week about DU: "contender" or "pretender." Seems like the Magic 8 ball has become a bit clearer.
                            Last edited by Old Pio; 02-19-2011, 05:16 AM.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

So much for 4 easy points. Maybe this season will turn out like 04 after the anchorage series where everyone wanted gwozdecky fired then the team went on a tear and won it all??

Comment

Working...
                              X