This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXX

Semi-retired myself from these board because I didn't have the time to deal with some of the nonsense. But the way things are going in the comments over at LetsGoDU...

Anyone want to explain to me again why Donovan is so great? He got burned on the GWG and is -3 over the past 6 weeks or so. He's directly responsible for at least 2 of the 4 shorties we gave up the past 2 weekends.

Why is he still playing in key situations? Like with an empty net immediately after giving up a goal? Why do we still go with 4 f's and 1 d on the PP? It hasn't really produced anything at all except shorties.

9 out of 10 games we give up the 1st goal. 4 out of 5 weekends we lose on Friday.

I think MagnessMan has it right- I think GG's stubbornness might be hurting us right now. I'm so glad Rycroft challenged him on too many players getting caught on the offensive side of the puck, but it's too bad he didn't get too many answers in return. The powerplay isn't generating squat, and nothing's really changed.Where's the coaching this time of year?

I surely can't be alone in all of these frustrations, right?
    University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
    Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Tough loss tonight. Gotta regroup and get the win tomorrow.
      2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Tough loss tonight. Gotta regroup and get the win tomorrow.
        UAA would like that, gives us a chance to pass SCSU. So yeah please win.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Times like these you expect your coach to earn his lofty paycheck, and Gwoz is not getting it done. All the recruiting is great, but if you can't get your team to peak at the right time, you are really not doing your job. I don't know what to think at this point, other than to expect another first-round flameout.

Comment

I think the most surprising thing is that this team was doing so well earlier in the season. Like gwoz said, some weaknesses were being hidden, and Britain isn't playing at the level anymore where he can bail out donovan and company. The frustrating thing to me, is gwoz's inability to coach a power play. Just bizarre. In any case, we should count our blessings that we are still somehow still in the running for second place. Pretty crazy, considering how the team is playing right now. I was hoping that this would be the start of a run. Now, we're down to hoping to get on a streak during the playoffs, and recent history doesn't bode well in that department. In any case, go DU! Get the win tonight and continue to tease us with hope for this season. Ha ha. I do think we will win tonight.
            Last edited by Pablo; 03-05-2011, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannino Saves View Post
              Times like these you expect your coach to earn his lofty paycheck, and Gwoz is not getting it done. All the recruiting is great, but if you can't get your team to peak at the right time, you are really not doing your job. I don't know what to think at this point, other than to expect another first-round flameout.
              Like every hockey program DU has 18 scholarships to diivy up. But as we know DU has some of the highest tuition & housing rates in the country.

We also all know about the early departures.

DU made the decision several years ago to mostly give full rides and then bring in walk-ons and hope for the best. The walk-ons have developed unbelievably well. Nutini, Knowlton, Jackson, Salazar ect. In fact you can make a strong case that what has seperated DU from Sconnie & Goldy has been our walk-ons.

This season two full rides have evaporated. Martin due to injury and Wrenn. That just kills our depth. There's just so little margin for error.

DU's recruiting has been A+. Zucker is recruiters dream, but throw in Bennett, Nick Shore and Brittain and its unreal.
              Last edited by dggoddard; 03-05-2011, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Seemed like a much better Friday night effort than we've become accustomed to. BUT the end result was the same.
                Need a big "W" tonight.

Shame on you Anthony Maiani--getting suspended for an important game this weekend.
                You better make up for it tonight.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  Seemed like a much better Friday night effort than we've become accustomed to. BUT the end result was the same.
                  Need a big "W" tonight.

Shame on you Anthony Maiani--getting suspended for an important game this weekend.
                  You better make up for it tonight.
                  Maiani has missed quite a few games in is career via suspensions. Probably would be an interesting story what has been the cause...

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                    Maiani has missed quite a few games in is career via suspensions. Probably would be an interesting story what has been the cause...
                    Well, his brother Dominic got booted from the OSU team years back, so we've made out better with our Maiani only getting a suspension here and there.

Comment

As I posted on DG's blog, I think we are seeing a young DU team that overachieved early, but is now fading into inconsistent play late. You must defend your home ice in this league, and DU never led last night.

This fade is tough for DU fans to watch, but realistically this young team was expected to finish fourth, and the team has overachieved to get this far. But the young guys are clearly hitting a mental wall, and all the good stuff they've done is quickly tarnishing with yet another late season fade. The goaltending has gone from top notch to inconsistent, and that really kills confidence. Letting in those first shot early goals is killing this team's ability to build a lead, and the comeback energy and resilience is not as strong as it was.

But as other WCHA teams sharpen their games and come together down the stretch, this DU team has not been able to put together the kind of consistent performances that would suggest playoff success. The mental toughness is in and out, and when you have a key senior breaking team rules this late in the year, it's indicative that this team's mental makeup may not be at the level of the competition.

As for the students, I am not going to make excuses for them. Most of them have lost interest in this team, and with so many other entertainment options available to them, they are voting with their feet.

Honestly, I am now seriously worried about Gwoz leaving. I don't see a serious NCAA run in this team, and I worry that the school will look at the last 6 years of poor playoff endings and wonder if resigning him to big money is worth it...

There is still time to salvage this fade, but I'm afraid we've all seen this movie before, and late season/playoff regressions are quickly becoming routine. If we are into simple winter entertainment, these 20+ win seasons are great, But if the DU program wants to be seen as elite, they have to find a way to be better at the end of the year then they are now...

Comment

Well this thread is getting the kind of attention the pios are getting at Magness. The box says 5400 last night--looked more like about 4800 to me. DG: What happened to the push to get people in seats? I thought Sam looked good last night so I don't really buy the GT argument (completely--yes it's been a factor). I honestly think it's the D that has caused this collapse. Donovan and Lee both played like crap last night. Lee has been checked out for weeks. Ryder was the only D man that played with intensity last night. The other piece that PS alluded to is that the young team with talent is prone to individual (read selfish play). Donovan is the epitome of this right now. I know most fans love him and I'll get flack for saying this but so be it. The other factor is coaching. We all know that Gwoz's strength is recruiting. The four O guys on the PP is condoning selfish play.

Zucker is amazing and will most likely head for the door when this team folds. He is so well-rounded and fun to watch.

It was good to see KO back out there last night. This team needs him for an anchor of leadership.
                        Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM.
                        Go Pioneers!

Comment

Much better effort tonight. D was better--Lee played with intensity for the first time in several weeks and Dono passed the puck and didn't try to be SuperDono. Drew's goal was a flippin rocket! Sam was solid-- I like how Gwoz stuck with him tonight. He'll come back and be even more solid next weekend. Let's hope we can put this stupid give up a goal on the first shot crap behind us for good! Cloudies played two good games. I was impressed by them--their fast and have a great work ethic. I think they will give UM or UMD a run for their money in the first round.

Still very concerned about the PP. 0-3 tonight and looked as bad as it did back in October. Frantic batting at the puck instead of setting it up and running the cycle.

Todd Anderson is a disgrace to the conference and he gets me really worked up. I wish he could be sentenced to working the balance of his life in Alaska.

Here are the match ups. I like SCSU;s chances to beat the Gophs.

1) UND 12) MTU
                          2) DU 11) Mankato
                          3) UNO 10) BSU
                          4) UMD 9) UAA
                          5) Minnesota 8) SCSU
                          6) CC 7) Wisco
                          Last edited by MagnessMan; 03-05-2011, 11:47 PM.
                          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Correction
                            UMD v SCSU
                            Minn v AA
                            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              Honestly, I am now seriously worried about Gwoz leaving. I don't see a serious NCAA run in this team, and I worry that the school will look at the last 6 years of poor playoff endings and wonder if resigning him to big money is worth it...

There is still time to salvage this fade, but I'm afraid we've all seen this movie before, and late season/playoff regressions are quickly becoming routine. If we are into simple winter entertainment, these 20+ win seasons are great, But if the DU program wants to be seen as elite, they have to find a way to be better at the end of the year then they are now...
                              A few things come to mind in terms of Gwoz's future and contract negotiations at DU. My understanding is Gwoz signed an initial contract in 2002 which terminates in 2014. In my view Gwoz is one of the elite college coaches in all of NCAA college hockey. He's just completed his ninth consecutive 20 win season, coached DU to two back to back NCAA national championships, 3 Macs, 4 BMs, a rare Triple Crown in 2005, he's 11 wins behind Lucia in all time career wins among D1 coaches, and 5th among all active D1 coaches in career wins among a very elite group: 1. Jerry York, 2. Jack Parker, 3. Red Berenson, 4. Don Lucia, 5. George Gwozdecky.

In my opinion, DU is still a young team and yet they finish in 2nd place. It's in the best interest of the DU hockey program to renegotiate his contract to meet current salary expectations for a coach of his caliber. In terms of a post season run, I think DU hits a different gear come playoff time and will be tough to beat.
                              Last edited by HarleyMC; 03-06-2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                                A few things come to mind in terms of Gwoz's future and contract negotiations at DU. My understanding is Gwoz signed an initial contract in 2002 which terminates in 2014. In my view Gwoz is one of the elite college coaches in all of NCAA college hockey. He's just completed his ninth consecutive 20 win season, coached DU to two back to back NCAA national championships, 3 Macs, 4 BMs, a rare Triple Crown in 2005, he's 11 wins behind Lucia in all time career wins among D1 coaches, and 5th among all active D1 coaches in career wins among a very elite group: 1. Jerry York, 2. Jack Parker, 3. Red Berenson, 4. Don Lucia, 5. George Gwozdecky.

In my opinion, DU is still a young team and yet they finish in 2nd place. It's in the best interest of the DU hockey program to renegotiate his contract to meet current salary expectations for a coach of his caliber. In terms of a post season run, I think DU hits a different gear come playoff time and will be tough to beat.
                                You know, this post really nails the crux of what I really hope for our Pio fans to get: That we are currently living in the second greatest 10ish year run for Denver Pioneer hockey in it's history. The sad part (to me) is that people aren't satisfied with this, no matter how true it is. I grew up as a little kid to my teenage years through the program's absolutely worst 10, 12, 15 (what have you ['80s - mid 90s]) years in which we were rarely in contention and a forgotten powerhouse long past it's prime. Myself, I gladly take some recent flameouts in conjunction with the 2 recent NC's over zero NC's and not even a chance for a flameout because we sucked so badly we couldn't even make the tourney...

Comment

Working...
                                X